Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Soft Recoil Rounds for 9mm

p3fe(ret)

Looking for loading info for a soft recoil round for the wife's SR9c. I just got in some 147 grain Missouri Bullet 147 grain 9mm FP.

I have several powders, HP 38, HS 6, Power Pistol and Unique. Need some info on OAL and loads that would shoot well for her.

TIA

stick with fast burning powders (like your HP-38) for the least recoil. http://www.38super.net/Pages/Recoil.html

Winchester's starting load for 231 (same powder as HP-38) with a 147 cast bullet (15th edition reloader's manual) is 3.3 grains (865fps) and their high end load is 3.5 grains (905fps), but i've found that some of their loads are a bit too light, so some adjustment might be necessary. maybe start with the 3.5 load and see how that runs. an OAL around 1.145-1.150 should fit in the magazine and chamber but you'll have to try it in your gun to know for sure.

Using the powder you have I'd use the HP 38, should work fine. Good advice on loading long. I try for 1.140 and suggest checking 10 in the magazine before starting a run. Load as long as you can and the rounds run through your magazine. Long loads tend to be more accurate in most cases.

HP 38, 231 powder is an old work horse that's served shooters well for a long time, it's a little dirty but meters well and is very consistent.

Thanks all.....lot of good info. I will load some rounds and head for the range in the morning.

Just put the DCAEK from Apex Tactical in my M&P 9mm so will see how these rounds work in that too.

I tried TiteGroup with 147gr Zero JHP's and well it just didn't cut it, TOO MUCH RECOIL. It also is very NASTY DIRTY, and it puts too much heat in the gun. Since you have HS6 you know what dirty powder is, and TG is even worse. If I use it in 40 with Moly bullets I get lots of lead and moly fowling in the barrel, switch to WST and no fowling, 3 Strikes and your out.

This will raise a bunch of eyebrows, I use Clays with 147gr Zero JHP's, and yes it is heap plenty fast and you need to be real careful with it, but it is the closest thing to Air Soft you can get and makes 22LR seem violent. Pay attention now, I use 3.2gr of Clays set to 1.145 with a light crimp, and SPP. Since you are using a non jacketed bullet and you are not going for power factor drop it down to 2.9 unless you are loading shorter than 1.140 and in that case it may be too fast to try.

WST is a good fast powder that does well with underloading, you know mouse fart stuff, With 124gr bullets and 3.8gr of WST you get a good shooting sub minor load, in a 147gr I think that a 130pf load is around 3.6gr so starting would be at 3.1-3.2. It is a clean powder that meters well and it works good in 40 and 45. It is not a good powder for 9 mm minor w/124gr there are better ones like N320, which I consider the best for 9 mm minor with 124gr.

Clays and WST are fast powders, using fast powders with heavy bullets well you need to be extra cautious and start low and work up. TiteGroup does have the advantage of having a load in the Hogdon load data.

I shoot 9 Major, I'm living on the edge all the time.

Shooter57:

3.1 gn of Clays is MAX in one manual. Just a warning that this load still needs to be worked up to.

ALWAYS work up ANY load using a very fast powder for a given cartridge, with Clays always requiring a work up.

i just loaded up 3.3gr Clays under 147 precion delta at 1.125 oal. it was probably compressed somewhat and need to extend oal some for my Shadow just to be safe. came in at 130pf and surprised me how soft it was. just knew it was not even close to pf. if i can find some some ramshot competition i may try it. hopefully it won't fill the case up as much.

Thanks to all who replied. Tried the HP38 (DIRTY)! Went and got some Clays and loaded 3.0 grains under 147 LFP at 1.145 and they worked well in the SR9c. Wife really liked them. Now for the problem....I loaded my M&P 9mm with some 125 LRN over HP38 at 3.4 grains 1.145 OAL and I now have one stuck in the gun. The slide didn't lock and went ...click...when I pulled the trigger, didn't realize until after. Now the slide is locked and won't retract or close...any ideas??? I have shot OAL at 1.15 with no problems using 115 grain plated, several hundred rounds. I do have the APEX DCAEK in the gun but have at least three hundred rounds through it since it was installed.

Take the gun in your hand and grab the slide with the other overhand style.point it in a safe direction push the frame forward while retracting the slide at the same time. work most of the time. just did one yesterday.

Edited by 98006

Have tried that several times with no luck....seems like an internal jam but not sure. Has about 1/4 inch or so of return spring rod sticking out.

Was thinking of driving out the rear 1/8th roll pin to see if that would release enough to unload and get the slide off.

I loaded my M&P 9mm with some 125 LRN over HP38 at 3.4 grains 1.145 OAL and I now have one stuck in the gun. The slide didn't lock and went ...click...when I pulled the trigger, didn't realize until after.

Sorry about your gun. Just for others looking back at this, that's a really light charge. My 125gr lead minor load is 4.3gr of HP-38/W231 in my M&P's.

I loaded my M&P 9mm with some 125 LRN over HP38 at 3.4 grains 1.145 OAL and I now have one stuck in the gun. The slide didn't lock and went ...click...when I pulled the trigger, didn't realize until after.

Sorry about your gun. Just for others looking back at this, that's a really light charge. My 125gr lead minor load is 4.3gr of HP-38/W231 in my M&P's.

Gun never fired with this round, was going to finish off the box to switch to Clays powder. These worked fine in wife's SR9c with only one FTF.

My Pro wont take any 125 LRN's over 1.10. you'll have to hold the slide in your hand, and slap the back of the grip with your other to get it unstuck. You say you've done it.. you'll have to do it harder.

take the gun and put the front of the barrel against something that will not mar it. push the slide assembly against it. it will help it unlock. with mp's , most of the ones that I ahve seen that are stuck are due to high primers.

another option,if you have the ledge site is to do a one handed reload style against a table or something

Edited by 98006

take the gun and put the front of the barrel against something that will not mar it. push the slide assembly against it. it will help it unlock. with mp's , most of the ones that I ahve seen that are stuck are due to high primers.

another option,if you have the ledge site is to do a one handed reload style against a table or something

Got It! Thanks for that idea, it worked. Have to load 125 LRN's a lot shorter for the M&P from now on. Lesson learned there.

Thanks to all that tried to help out on this problem, next time I'll know better.