Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun shotgun ammo ?

czambesi

Normally what do you bring to 3 gun to use for ammo. I know slugs (try low recoil vs high power) but what other types of ammo should I try and pratice with? My super nova is a fixed cylinder choke. I am shoping for a M2, 930, 1100, etc so praticing with the Nova for now. New to the sport. Thanks in advance.

Always: 3.25 dram equivalent 1 oz size 8 bird shot shells, as well as some 3.25 dram equivalent 1.25 oz #6s.

Generally in the bag in limited quantity: Federal reduced recoil slugs and buckshot. If I know there will be stages requiring this, I'll throw an extra sleeve or two of each in the truck...

Since I don't like to beat myself to death with my shotgun, try 200 rnds of 12ga skeet in a day. I limit the loads to 3 dram 6's with 7 1/2's for closer plates and 9's for flippers. Something to consider is that some ranges will dictate the largest shot usable.

New shooter here also. All I've heard with limited sample size around me is slugs & birdshot. How often are buckshot stages encountered?

I typically take the following to a major:

#7.5 1 1/8 ounce, 3.25 dram Federal Top Gun or Winchester Super X (Main load)

Two boxes of spreaders, one 7.5 on 8.5

Two boxes of 5, 6, or 7, Heavy field loads, 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 ounce (depending on shot size allowed)

Remington Slugger 1 ounce reduced recoil slugs

Federal full power slugs

Reduced recoil 00 Buckshot (if allowed)

Federal Flight Control buck (if allowed)

1325 fps #4 and 00 buck (if allowed)

I use spreaders once in a while, maybe 1 stage in 10 for a few shots. Heavy field loads for stars, spinners, plates set far out on an otherwise close stage. If they put slug gongs or MGM spinners out far, I may go to the full power slugs. I had never shot buckshot in a match before this year, have now in two matches this year. Almost necessary for the Iron-Man, SMM3G told us we needed 00 buck for one stage.

I use Winchester or Remington Gun Club loads for local matches. Cheaper by about $10 a case, never had a problem, but I step up to a better load for the majors.

Always: 3.25 dram equivalent 1 oz size 8 bird shot shells, as well as some 3.25 dram equivalent 1.25 oz #6s.

Generally in the bag in limited quantity: Federal reduced recoil slugs and buckshot. If I know there will be stages requiring this, I'll throw an extra sleeve or two of each in the truck...

Not familiar enough with shotgun ammo so have a question to the above.

You mention 3.25 dram equivalent, what about 3 dram? My SLP will shoot 3 dram 1 1/8oz 7 and 8 bird shot all day without issues.

Why would I want to go with 3.25 dram over the 3 dram loads?

Now the SLP will not shoot 3 dram 1oz loads. So would 3.25 dram 1oz loads have more or less recoil compared to a 3 dram 1 1/8oz load of the same size shot?

Haven't tried any 3.25 dram 1oz stuff yet so dont know how that will function in my SLP.

Not familiar enough with shotgun ammo so have a question to the above.

You mention 3.25 dram equivalent, what about 3 dram? My SLP will shoot 3 dram 1 1/8oz 7 and 8 bird shot all day without issues.

Why would I want to go with 3.25 dram over the 3 dram loads?

Now the SLP will not shoot 3 dram 1oz loads. So would 3.25 dram 1oz loads have more or less recoil compared to a 3 dram 1 1/8oz load of the same size shot?

Haven't tried any 3.25 dram 1oz stuff yet so dont know how that will function in my SLP.

I use the 3.25 dram 1 oz federal game loads in my sx2, which shares many aspects and parts with the slp. Those are a much better value than the "value pack" at walmart, at least here in socal. As far as recoil comparison I haven't generated any numbers but the feel of the game loads is slightly more of a slap than the push of the slower moving 1 1/8 oz loads in a pump, I cannot perceive a difference in recoil between the 2 in the sx2. Nothing to worry about. Are you sure you have the light piston in your slp? I have the factory piston in my 3" sx2 and it cycled a box of 1 oz 2 3/4 dram loads perfectly. I like the game loads enough that I picked up 28 boxes this week.

The light piston that comes with the SLP is marked for 1 1/4oz and less though it doesnt reliably cycle 1 1/8oz loads. So picked up a Browning Sporting clays light piston that is marked for 1 1/8oz and less and it does reliably function with 1 1/8oz 3dram loads. But not 2 3/4dram loads or I should say anything under 1200fps doesnt reliably function.

Have not tried any 3.25dram 1oz loads yet.

The light piston that comes with the SLP is marked for 1 1/4oz and less though it doesnt reliably cycle 1 1/8oz loads. So picked up a Browning Sporting clays light piston that is marked for 1 1/8oz and less and it does reliably function with 1 1/8oz 3dram loads. But not 2 3/4dram loads or I should say anything under 1200fps doesnt reliably function.

Have not tried any 3.25dram 1oz loads yet.

Sorry to the op if this is a drift. The sporting clays piston should cycle really light stuff, but I am cycling the really light stuff without the sc piston... you might want to try leaving your bolt locked back for a few weeks, and a really good clean and lube. The slp guy at my range uses the federal value packs with no problem, I don't think he has tried the game load though.

I would maybe suspect out of spec gas ports in the barrel if it won't cycle the 1 1/8 oz loads with the light piston, maybe worth talking to FN. Also form has alot to do with it try the same loads while holding the stock to your torso like a vice, with the active valve gas system you can hold the stock off the shoulder a bit and not get punished with a slap like an over under but it might not be able to cycle like that.

Back to the original question:

Either way try the game loads, they are cheap and should have enough gas to cycle most actions. In my experience the game loads are soft shooting while still completely reliable, while messing with lighter dram ammo for a match is false time economy as it takes much longer to clear a jam than recover from a 1/4 dram's worth increase in recoil, at least in the gas autos.