Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding Hornady bullet feeder to 650

I am getting the Mr. Bulletfeeder coming to my 1050 shortly, but in the meantime I wanted to see what could be done for half its price - Hornady can be had for under $250.

Today it came and I spent a bit of time setting it up. Straight out of the box there were several rather serious issues that had to be corrected, but eventually it worked.

The bracket that comes with the feeder is not good. It puts the machine right over your head, obstructing the view and bench access. Therefore something different had to be done... in this particular case - suspending it under the ceiling.

A couple of brackets, a turned plastic bushing and plastic tube made it all work, so here it is, working invisibly.

Next - putting two micro switches on tube, with relay circuit, so the machine would only be running between High and Low marks, and not all the time as it is now.

post-21305-0-53545800-1308189774_thumb.j

post-21305-0-39417000-1308189787_thumb.j

I am getting the Mr. Bulletfeeder coming to my 1050 shortly, but in the meantime I wanted to see what could be done for half its price - Hornady can be had for under $250.

Today it came and I spent a bit of time setting it up. Straight out of the box there were several rather serious issues that had to be corrected, but eventually it worked.

The bracket that comes with the feeder is not good. It puts the machine right over your head, obstructing the view and bench access. Therefore something different had to be done... in this particular case - suspending it under the ceiling.

A couple of brackets, a turned plastic bushing and plastic tube made it all work, so here it is, working invisibly.

Next - putting two micro switches on tube, with relay circuit, so the machine would only be running between High and Low marks, and not all the time as it is now.

I see that there are 2 upside down bullets in the plastic tube to the bullet feed die. (in your photos, they are near the top of the powder measure) What happened when you tried to feed those?

LostMarbles

Eagle's Eye! :) The photo were taken while the machine was still being adjusted. There are special fingers that sweep the upside down bullets, they were not well adjusted at that point.

How does it work in the long term - I have no idea yet, but I have heard good reports, so that admittedly crude mechanism might be effective.

After upgrading from a 550 to 650 I was seeking for a Bullet feeder and started looking at the Hornady. I ordered my Lock-N-Load Bullet Feeder, 2 months ago from Cabela’s. I finally got all the components in, 1st the feeder, a few weeks later the dies.

Anyway, I finally installed it today and notice that the height is really not maid for a 650 so I had to make a bracket out of wood that was laying around and got her working, I didn’t want to lose space to the left since the 550 is setup. So I put the feeder on a sort of an angle.

Not nice as Foxbat but it works, I am also thinking about adding a micro switch for the motor.

Edited by Txkid

• 3 weeks later...

That is thinking "out of the box." Are you still getting the Mr. Bulletfeeder?