Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hate losing a pet....

GrumpyOne

I'm out of town for work (like usual :rolleyes: ) and my wife calls me, sobbing her eyes out, cause she just had to put our cat to sleep...Well, my cat to sleep. Shadow was a Russian blue female, a huntress, not afraid of anything, and as friendly to us as the day is long. She caught a virus from a tick, and it kills within just a few days. There is no cure. But the only ticks that can infect a domestic cat comes from a wild cat (bobcat or panther, etc.). The virus/disease is called Cytauxzoonosis.

"Cytauxzoon spp infect ungulates in Africa while C felis is a natural parasite of wild cats (bobcat [ Lynx rufus ] and the Florida panther [ Felis concolor coryi ]) of North America. C felis is transmitted by the Ixodid tick Dermacentor variabilis ; as a parasite of wild cats its pathogenicity is unknown. Tick transmission to domestic cats results in an acute and almost always fatal disease. Most cases occur in the south and southeast states of the USA and are usually associated with access to wooded areas."

Unfortunately, this is not the first cat we've lost to this disease. We lost another almost 5 years ago....

While Frontline/Advantage or any of the other flea and tick treatments offer some degree of protection, they do not stop the tick from biting, only from holding on, and it's the biting that does it.....

So, those of you living in the affected areas, be warned!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cats have a different type of personality than dogs (I have 3 dogs as well), and to me, they are much more "You don't own me, I own you.", and that's what I find so cool about them...And she was the epitome of that type of personality....

She's gonna be sorely missed...Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Grumpy but kudos to your wife. That's the most unselfish, loving thing we can do for our pets - remove our personal feelings and simply do what's best for them. I sometimes think it's a shame we can't do that for our fellow humans.

Sherry

• 1 month later...

I just read your post. Makes me feel better someone else feels sad about their pals. I'm not alone. The morning I was leaving for the WI sectional a couple weeks ago to shoot and RO I made the decision to end my furry buddy's suffering. I was in the middle of packing my gun bag and suitcase and I couldn't ignore the fact the time had come. To say it was the worst match I had shot would be an understatement! And it was my birthday. But, it was good to be with friends for two days.

Grumpy -

Saddened by your loss as I, too, am the daddy of a beautiful Russian Blue female who has warmed our hearts for the last 6.5 years after we rescued her. I had to put down my 16-year-old Seal Point Siamese many years ago and it still makes me sad. We almost lost our Russian a few months back from an intestinal problem, but she pulled through. Wasn't sure how I would explain it to our 4-year-old twins as Cleo is my daughter's "baby."

I feel for ya!

• 3 weeks later...

Over the years I've had several cats go to a better place. Each one hurts. There is, however, nothing likely to melt your heart faster than the first look in a new kittens eyes.

Just sayin...

Well, thanks everyone! As it turns out, the only other female cat we have, a young scrapper named Rocky, was pregnant and gave birth to 5. Three of them almost totally black, one gray/black striped tabby, and an Orange tabby. This was a couple of months ago, like w weeks before Shadow died. We have given 2 of the black ones away to a very good home (brothers), and kept the rest. Their names are Spot, Sass, and Snow. I'll post a pic of them when I can.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Yet another of my cats has fallen ill to the disease...But, in the time since our last cat that was infected died and this one, the veterinary school at UF has taken a keen interest in this disease, and now has a treatment. The treatment is not a 100% thing, they "think" that he has a 60% chance of making it, but as there are so few cases that come up, there is no real data yet. We'll know tomorrow whether he's gonna make it or not...but no one knows the long term effects of the disease, because so few have ever survived...

What they found to treat it with is a Human malaria drug....I have to go to Walgreens in the morning and pick it up...They keep enough at the vets to start the process, but not for the 10 day doses it takes to treat.

This is the little bugger they are trying to save...His name is Joey...Coming home from work one day, stopped at a Kangaroo gas station for a cup of coffee...he was running around the parking lot, maybe 3-4 months old at that time...the girls working in the store were trying to get someone to take him, cause the store manage had already called animal control....

He's absolutely fearless...guess it's cause he spent so much time in that parking lot....

Joey....the offspring of a Kangaroo....

post-18733-0-97787900-1394239676_thumb.j