biggdawg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been lurking in the shadows for a month or two about either buying or building a tumbler.... well after reading this forum and seeing what can be made.... I spent the last couple of weekends building one.... I want to thank biggdawg for all the info on here and everyone else s input on their own ideas....tumbler.jpg. David

I have been lurking in the shadows for a month or two about either buying or building a tumbler.... well after reading this forum and seeing what can be made.... I spent the last couple of weekends building one.... I want to thank biggdawg for all the info on here and everyone else s input on their own ideas....tumbler.jpg. David

Looks awesome! Great job.

• 3 weeks later...

I figured I'd share my project with you guys. First off, BIG thanks to bigdawg for the idea.

I made a couple of small changes:

-The stand: I figured it would be different and get up up off the floor/bench that it would be taking up space on.

-Adjustable motor mount: I built the motor onto a plate that can slide into and out of the frame so that I can adjust belt tension.

-Rollers: I had some old conveyor belt rollers around so I but one on each end just to "block it off". My garage floor is slanted a little so it rides whichever end is downhill.

I was going to stencil the the whole thing with the black but wasn't real happy with the drum so I figured I'd leave the rest red to match my Hornady gear.

Here she is:

IMG_1722_zpsf37d7f9d.jpg

IMG_1730_zps9ef8cd67.jpg

IMG_1731_zps9ca539ab.jpg

IMG_1732_zps11d5312e.jpg

And more more in action:

th_IMG_1725_zps617529fe.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I must say you have made a excellent tumbler bigdawg. I remember seeing this years ago. Now I finally think I have out grown my two Frankford vibration tumblers and would like to step it up. I'm looking to do two large 8" drums so I can run a total of 3k 5.56 at a crack when needed. I have the 50 lbs of .047 pins on order. But I do have several questons before I order the rest.

1 - On the 8" pvc assuming that you used DWV pipe like on the 6" model would you cut it at 16.75" length to do the 25 lb SS media to 22 lbs brass or would you choose a different length?

2 - Any issues using a 1/3hp A.O.SMITH to run both tumblers at once?

3 - On the 8" to 6" reducer part I have heard several people say the 6" flexable cap will not fit over there reducer. Could you please hook me up so to speak on where and which one to buy? I dont really want to find out the hard way.

This looks like a fun little build. Can't wait to get the rest of the parts and start this one.

• 1 month later...

Heres mine

untitledpngtumblr12_zpsa921efa9.png

I used a motor and switch from a drill press

untitledpngtumblr10_zpsde70afc3.png

untitledpngtumblr9_zps2ea53f5d.png

I ripped a strip of PVC trim molding for agitators

untitledpngtumblr6_zps3681a836.png

I also saved a bunch of money by drilling a 4 inch hole in an end cap and just use a knock out plug instead of a $20 reducer and a cap.

untitledpngyumblr2_zpsa9a64a26.png

Don't forget to grind a flat spot on your dive shaft for the set screw on the pulley.

untitledpngtumbler7_zps921f5938.png

I built it about a year ago with plans this thread and one by my buddy Heavyopp on NJ Gun forums.

Big thanks to Biggdawg

Good job man where did you find the timer switch and how high does it go?

I got it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RMZ57W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It goes up to 4 hours, which seems to be about the max time needed. Anything past that really seems to result in pushing the point of limiting returns. The switch is simple, one wire to cut into and wire inline with the motor. I burnt up a "digital" one. I had it wired correctly, but being hooked up to the motor fried it.

Here is what I eventually built. Used a gear motor to drive a wooden hub that has a PVC pipe flange screwed to it. Connected the pipe flange to the drum (which has a pipe flange attached to it's rear) with a flex coupling.

Rolls on cart wheels I picked up from Tractor Supply.

I like the idea of wheels. Simpler and faster to install, and if they fail then easily replaced too.

Edited by Splat

For non welders out there, I got a steel flat bar same size as the tubes, drilled and cut them into 2 inch strips and bolted them together, works great. I also installed big wheels for the drum to ride on.

I was going to buy one but the spousal based life form said no.

If anyone in south shore MA wants to make one I have 8 inch and 6 inch PVC that I will sale at cost. Not looking to make money just get her off my back about storing it.

I figured I'd share my project with you guys. First off, BIG thanks to bigdawg for the idea.

I made a couple of small changes:

-The stand: I figured it would be different and get up up off the floor/bench that it would be taking up space on.

-Adjustable motor mount: I built the motor onto a plate that can slide into and out of the frame so that I can adjust belt tension.

Nice setup! I like the stand idea. Portable and takes up no bench space. How'd you make the mount adjustable? Did you elongate the mounting holes so the motor can be moved closer/farther away from the rollers?

How are you guys adjusting the motor or pulleys for belt wear?

My motor has about 1" of adjustment on the base. Most motors will have this. I slid mine all the way to the shortest position before I measured for my belt. Belt does not need to be really tight. If it becomes a real problem where I need more adjustment, I will cut some slots into the base where I mount my motor to get some more adjust ability.

Bigdawg:

I recently found this thread, and a friend and I are ready to take the plunge.. Couple questions.. The idler berings on the tumbler, where at on USA bering&belt's site did you find them? I've looked, but came up with nothing., Second, for a 8" 3 gallon drum, what was the end to end measurement for the pipe without the fittings?

Thank You!!!

I'm really looking forward to building this, Having read all 9 pages of this thread, This looks like a much superior way to clean brass than a vibratory tumbler.. I really like the idea of not having to buy corncob, walnut media..