Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My home built wet tumbler

biggdawg

I really want to make this. I found a 1/4 hp 1725rpm motor I should be able to get for $10.

What are the pipe lengths everyone is using? It seems that the piece that adds up fast.

My initial plans were to make vertical tumbler with a BBQ rotisserie motor but those only spin at 2-5 rpms.

What about making a tumbler part out of a 5 gallon bucket and a water tight lid like here? The buckets are cheap and the is $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Gamma2-Gamma-Seal-Lid-Black/dp/B0089QJQTS/ref=pd_sim_hg_3

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

.... quick question...is there a toggle switch that can handle 120 volts? I would like to use a toggle switch instead of a household light switch

Most toggle switches, even the ones you use in cars are rated for ac. Just have to read the switch volt ratings....

Edited by Flexmoney
To remove copied pics.

Thanks I have just been plugging it in when I want to use it. I feel I have a faulty motor that turns off after approximately 18 minutes. After it has cooled off it turns back on. It generally takes about 3+ hours to get a decent polish on my brass.

What does this offer that a normal tumbler for under $100 doesn't? Besides being wet of course.

bling factor

no media in primer pockets

primer pockets get cleaned and inside of cases are cleaner

and it is faster than the dry tumbler for me.

i had to tumble for about 8 or more hours to get them shinny and they still weren't as good as

the wet method does in 2 hours.

++ 1

• 2 months later...

I picked up my tumbler to day that my brother built for me. He is a farmer which explains the John Deere green paint job.

I have a 1000 223 tumbling right now!

thanks to BigDog for the info and thanks to brother Jerry.

post-34103-0-99212400-1389476319_thumb.j

When I got it finished, I could not believe how well they work! Much cleaner and a heck of a lot LESS time being cleaned. To keep all the pins from going everywhere when draining the water, I put a fine mesh paint strainer over the opening. Then I set the brass on an old screen and let them dry. THANKS to ALL who contributed!

Rather than the screw type metal clamp that goes around the rubber end cap, has anyone tried or found something like an adjustable quick-release buckle with metal strap that would work to hold the rubber pipe cap on leak free?

Or would the vibration over an hour or two tend to shake loose or release a buckle unless you secure it somehow, which puts you back to about the same amount of hassle/time to use the screw type metal clamp?

I do like the idea of wet tumbling but there is no way I'm taking the time to de-prime my brass before I clean them which leaves moisture in the primer cup. Short of baking each batch, I see this as a deal killer for wet tumbling without de-priming. Am I missing something here?

• 1 month later...

Here is what I eventually built. Used a gear motor to drive a wooden hub that has a PVC pipe flange screwed to it. Connected the pipe flange to the drum (which has a pipe flange attached to it's rear) with a flex coupling.

Rolls on cart wheels I picked up from Tractor Supply.

post-43942-0-65604800-1393266908_thumb.j

What about using a small cement mixer like these:

Then you dump in the water, the brass (large amounts), media, etc, and wander away for while.

Is there any reason this would not work?, if you built your own "base" might be easier than making a PVC tube.

http://www.amazon.com/Scepter-04239-7-Gallon-Odjob-Mixer/dp/B000BPK766

or even use one of these

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356929_200356929

I did this for my last job....Got a cement mixer, rhino-lined the drum, and was in business. We started with the cheapy Harbor freight model to test it, and had to beef it up quite a bit for it to withstand the every day use.

1 - 5 gallon bucket of brass (any flavor)

1/4 cup of Lemi shine

2 squirts of generic dish detergent (liquid)

1 cup of non chlorinated generic lemon scented automatic dish machine powder

about 5 gallons of water

10-15 minutes

would come out pretty clean, we would then resize and deprime and then wash again, but cut the soap to

1 pump generic dish detergent (liquid)

1/2 cup lemi shine

1 cup of non chlorinated generic lemon scented automatic dish machine powder

about 5 gallons of water

5-10 minutes

After the 2nd cycle it would literally come out looking brand new! Best part was no media required!

Edited by Vanniek71

For those that _don't deprime_, SS tumble, then bake to prep brass - have you had any problems depriming that brass after that process? My buddy does this, and we had a strange run of more than a few where the primer would stretch out from the deprime pin rather than pop out. (edit: will an oven that is too hot soften the primer metal to cause this?)

edit - I deprime first, so I haven't seen this issue with my brass

Edited by trgt

I do like the idea of wet tumbling but there is no way I'm taking the time to de-prime my brass before I clean them which leaves moisture in the primer cup. Short of baking each batch, I see this as a deal killer for wet tumbling without de-priming. Am I missing something here?

I have tumbled brass without de-priming, I lay them out on a towel on a folding table and put a fan on them for 2-3 days and they are bone dry.