My home built wet tumbler

biggdawg

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I built one similar , for tumbling alum parts , using the green triangles for cleaning , however they get wedged into the 1/4" slots in our parts. Causing a lot of cleanup time removing them.

My question is , are the SS pins to abrasive for 6061 alum? We use a random orbit sander,120 grit, to get the proper rough surface for our finish to stick to.

Any idea if the SS pins may work ? Anybody use SS pins to debur alum.?

Edited by toothandnail

I am have trouble finding 8" fittings I did acquire a piece of 8" sdr35 but need a cap reducing couple and a flex cap. I am currently running 6" with nylon bolts in my paddles which are holding up very well.
Check with your local sewer utility company - 8" SDR 35 is standard sewer pipe and they should have all the fittings you need. Most will sell you a couple of fittings at cost.

I am have trouble finding 8" fittings I did acquire a piece of 8" sdr35 but need a cap reducing couple and a flex cap. I am currently running 6" with nylon bolts in my paddles which are holding up very well.
Check with your local sewer utility company - 8" SDR 35 is standard sewer pipe and they should have all the fittings you need. Most will sell you a couple of fittings at cost.

That's my biggest problem we don't have and sewer company's in our rural state I will have to get to the city I have been looking on line but not much luck.

Don't know, best way to find out is to try a batch. Stop a few times along the way and check to see if any damage.

Don't know, best way to find out is to try a batch. Stop a few times along the way and check to see if any damage.

If you donate the pins :devil: , I'll sendem back if they don't work , pay for them if they do .

That's my biggest problem we don't have and sewer company's in our rural state I will have to get to the city I have been looking on line but not much luck.

My advise , DON"T go bigger than 8" , the cost difference for caps/ cleanouts is HUGE. A 8" cleanout/cap is about $40-50.00 , a 10" is $247.00

Or you can do as we did and make your own for about $85.00

• 2 weeks later...

Well, before the stainless pin idea came along, people used the Lortones and Thumlers that way. Only problem is that the rotaries are a lot slower than the vibratory ones with the dry media as far as cleaning and polishing.

So are there issues with running smaller amounts of brass in a larger tumbler?

I imagine there is some relationship of brass/media/water/tumbler size that makes things work.

I've been looking at making one with a 5 gal home depot bucket, just because the bucket is more readily available than the 6 or 8 inch PVC and fittings. However I'm thinking that it it would be huge over kill for 100-200 .223 cases or 200 .40 pistol cases at a time. Not to mention say 20-60 30-06 cases.

I suppose I need to look harder for 6 and 8 inch PVC.

thanks

Bob

So are there issues with running smaller amounts of brass in a larger tumbler?

I imagine there is some relationship of brass/media/water/tumbler size that makes things work.

I've been looking at making one with a 5 gal home depot bucket, just because the bucket is more readily available than the 6 or 8 inch PVC and fittings. However I'm thinking that it it would be huge over kill for 100-200 .223 cases or 200 .40 pistol cases at a time. Not to mention say 20-60 30-06 cases.

I suppose I need to look harder for 6 and 8 inch PVC.

thanks

Bob

bob,

in my testing i have found that the less brass to the more media you run decreases tumbling time considerably.

now i haven't gone to that extreme. but i have run 3-5lbs of brass in my large drum with 20lbs of media. it is a 3 gallon drum. i still used all the media and filled it with water as usual and it worked great.

in your case though a 1 gallon 6" drum would be a good choice for the small loads. that is what i use just to save water.

if you need help with finding fittings and pipe let me know.

bigdawg,

thanks for the offer, I managed to find the pipe and fittings once I went to a real store (not HD and lowes),

I will likely be using a cordless drill or corded drill to drive my drum because they are free to me because of where I work. :D

Do you have the calculations for your reduction?

Do you also have an accurate RPM of the drum (or motor current)? From that, and the reduction, I can determine motor RPM and if I can find a motor curve for that motor, I can estimate the load to drive the drum. I can then figure out what reduction I need to use given the drill's motor curve and internal reduction.

thanks

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

WELL, I tried the SS pins on the 6061 alum tube , WOW! they BEAT it up.

It may be a little less aggressive with more pins but not sure if I want to buy another $2-300.00 worth of pins.

I got 20# put them in with 3 pieces of tubing filled tumbler FULL of water. ran for just over an hour. I chewed the S%#T out of the tube , good thing it was some that weren't any good to start with.

toothandnail

sees how you are already set up for wet tumbling

perhaps you should try other media, such as ceramic, or other blasting media, or even just some slilica sand (borrowed from a golf course)

I know our Jackpine sand up here in central Saskatchewan works great for tumbling rusty steel in a cement mixer. stuff comes out nice and clean

toothandnail

perhaps you should try other media, such as ceramic, or other blasting media, or even just some slilica sand (borrowed from a golf course)

I know our Jackpine sand up here in central Saskatchewan works great for tumbling rusty steel in a cement mixer. stuff comes out nice and clean

toothandnail

We are using green triangles now, they work GOOD but are the PERFECT size to get stuck in the slots and holes in our parts. The pins didn't, but were too aggressive.

Well, I'm talked into this. I acquired a 1/4 hp motor, 4 pillow block bearings, (2) 36", 1/2", steel rods and some 6" PVC. Toothandnail do you want to sell the pins?

Well, I'm talked into this. I acquired a 1/4 hp motor, 4 pillow block bearings, (2) 36", 1/2", steel rods and some 6" PVC. Toothandnail do you want to sell the pins?

Yip, got your PM

• 3 weeks later...

Did you mean that set collars have the set screw? I`ve never seen pillow blocks that have set screws in them to lock in the rollers.

Biggdawg, where do you buy your 8" rubber cap?

they are 6" caps that i use becaseu i use an 8 to 6 reducer i get them on amazon http://www.amazon.co...ils_o02_s00_i00

bigdawg,

I may have screwed up....I ordered 8" sch 40 fittings and the 6" cap doesn't fit the 8 to 6" reducer. It fits inside it. Any sugestions I'd hate to have $60 in fittings go to waste.

thanks,

K5Guy

Did you mean that set collars have the set screw? I`ve never seen pillow blocks that have set screws in them to lock in the rollers.

Biggdawg, where do you buy your 8" rubber cap?

they are 6" caps that i use becaseu i use an 8 to 6 reducer i get them on amazon http://www.amazon.co...ils_o02_s00_i00

bigdawg,

I may have screwed up....I ordered 8" sch 40 fittings and the 6" cap doesn't fit the 8 to 6" reducer. It fits inside it. Any sugestions I'd hate to have $60 in fittings go to waste.

thanks,

K5Guy

measure the inside of the fitting then look for a plug like this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CHERNE-INDUSTRIES-Pipe-Plug-1VNG9?Pid=search

hope this helps or you can put a piece of 6" pipe in the reducer and let it stick out 2 or 3 inches and put the cap on that. if you need to talk pm me and i will give you my number

• 1 month later...

Here are a few pictures of my build. It's not quite complete...I still need 2 more bearings and a paint job. quick question...is there a toggle switch that can handle 120 volts? I would like to use a toggle switch instead of a household light switch

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

Edited by cworks