Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My home built wet tumbler

biggdawg

HMT-2.jpg Here's a pic of the beast; as close to your config as I could. Thanks for your input BD. Total cost was $88 including the SSMedia, pipe fittings, and bearings. The rest of the setup I had on hand. It works fantastic!!

looks great, good job. glad i could help.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BD, I have a H*ll of a mess. I deprimed, sized over 500 223's yesterday and sent them awash in the tumbler. Three hours later I opened the tumbler to a greasy, dark grey to black gooey mess. Apparently the case lube I used when I sized the brass didn't like the LemiShine/dawn soap mixture. You want to guess how long its taken to wipe off this mess, not to mention cleaning out the tumbler? Its been a disaster. Any pointers on how you go about cleaning long brass? Do you clean off the case lube before tumbling? I don't want to go through this again!!!

BD, I have a H*ll of a mess. I deprimed, sized over 500 223's yesterday and sent them awash in the tumbler. Three hours later I opened the tumbler to a greasy, dark grey to black gooey mess. Apparently the case lube I used when I sized the brass didn't like the LemiShine/dawn soap mixture. You want to guess how long its taken to wipe off this mess, not to mention cleaning out the tumbler? Its been a disaster. Any pointers on how you go about cleaning long brass? Do you clean off the case lube before tumbling? I don't want to go through this again!!!

this is how i do it and what i use.

i deprime, with a universal decapper, and tumble for 2 hours. i use 10lbs of media and a max of 9lbs brass. i use 4-5 table spoons dawn and 2.5 45 acp cases of lemi shine with 2.3 gallons of water.

then i use homemade case lube that uses 99% isopropyl alcohol and lanolin oil at a 15-1 ratio.

i size and trim then i throw back in my tumbler with the same mix of soap and lemi shine for 2 more hours and i have no problems.

i use cold water to tumble in and cold water to rinse. i dump the tumbling water out then use my sprayer and flush/rinse the cases inside the

the drum till the soap is gone. i then fill my 5 gallon pale with water and poor into my frankfort separator. tumble rinse in the pale for a bit

then shake vigorously then i dry them on towel with a fan.

Edited by biggdawg

I clean my brass before I size it-that should take care of your "mess" in the future. What was the ratio you used for your mixture? How many lbs of brass vs how much water?

About 5lbs of brass and 2 gal water. How do you get the primer pockets clean?

Edited by glynnm45

I clean my brass before I size it-that should take care of your "mess" in the future. What was the ratio you used for your mixture? How many lbs of brass vs how much water?

About 5lbs of brass and 2 gal water. How do you get the primer pockets clean?

I use a universal decapping die to deprime all my brass before i tumble it. fwiw

So you aren't sizing the brass you are just removing the primer. I'm going to get a universal decapper on order, right now.. You aught to see the brass now since I got all the gunk off, it sparkles.

yes i take my dirty fired brass and run it through my progressive with just a universal decapper installed. i punch out all the primers then i tumble for 2 hours. Then i lube and size my rifle brass and trim then i tumble again.

pistol brass i deprime the dirty brass then tumble for 3 hours and store it. then load when i feel like it.

hopefully it is sparkly like these

P6130002.jpg

Edited by biggdawg

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this with a cement mixer or something?

I wonder if I can clean all my 40 brass at once. :)

i have heard of guys using a mixer but haven't come across exactly how they do it and how much they can do. i know they modified the paddles but it also takes quite a bit of media. the more brass you want to tumble at once the more media you need. the max i have found that still works is 4lbs brass to 5lbs media i have tried 1 to 1 ratio but it takes a lot longer to get clean plus the bras dosen't get cushioned enuff in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

The specs for that motor are 1725 rpms. That seems crazy fast. Could that be right?

if you read the first post i give drum speeds

yes motor speed is 1725 with a 1.5" pulley driving a 4" pulley connected to a 1/2 inch shaft that drives a 8 inch drum.

that yields 60 rpm drum speed and it works great. you can slow it down by increasing the driven pulley. but there is plenty of

mechanical advantage so it can turn the 62lb drum with no problem as you can see in the video.

the thumler tumbler runs at 30rpm drum speed and takes twice as long as my tumbler does to clean the brass.

The specs for that motor are 1725 rpms. That seems crazy fast. Could that be right?

yes motor speed is 1725 with a 1.5" pulley driving a 4" pulley connected to a 1/2 inch shaft that drives a 8 inch drum.

that yields 60 rpm drum speed and it works great. you can slow it down by increasing the driven pulley. but there is plenty of

mechanical advantage so it can turn the 62lb drum with no problem as you can see in the video.

the thumler tumbler runs at 30rpm drum speed and takes twice as long as my tumbler does to clean the brass.

I know your data is correct because it's obviously working, and by the looks of it working very well. I was just wondering because 1725 rpms sounds so high that I thought they might have changed the motor in the link to a different model at some point.

That brass looks awesome.

no problem,

and the motor in the last video is my original motor i was using on my first version. believe me i did a lot of math figuring to make sure it

would work before i built it. and i thought i wouldn't use algebra after school :blush:

what i had to get a grasp of was that the 1/2" shaft was going to be turning the 8" drum so that is where a lot of the gear reduction comes to

play. yes it is faster than a thumler but it also works better and i am not seeing any adverse effects on my brass.

I know your data is correct because it's obviously working, and by the looks of it working very well. I was just wondering because 1725 rpms sounds so high that I thought they might have changed the motor in the link to a different model at some point.

That brass looks awesome.

I looked for the media at pelletsllc dot com and there seems to be many size options. What size is optimal for this process?

Mark

Kenosha, WI

you just have to call and the lady is really nice.just tell her you need the tumbling media and she will know exactly what you need. but it is .041x.269 if i remember right.

IMG_3447.jpg

Edited by biggdawg

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about getting the motor but i have a quesition how r u guys wiring it??

i wire mine with a switch so i can leave it plugged int here is a pic

if you need more info let me know

How about the motor? Or does it come with instructions?

Thinking about getting the motor but i have a quesition how r u guys wiring it??

i wire mine with a switch so i can leave it plugged int here is a pic

if you need more info let me know

How about the motor? Or does it come with instructions?

most of the motors come with instructions. i will take a pic of mine and post it up

PB010057.jpg

PB010056.jpg

Edited by biggdawg