Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to go pro? Or get sponsored?

EurAzn12

So one of my biggest goals is to shoot competitively w/ a pro sponsorship. Is the only route to do this (or most common), just shooting at major matches and winning? Or actively seeking company support and going from there? I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything, but I have been shooting very well in IDPA and 3-gun (will soon shoot a USPSA match) and I think I have a shot.

Thanks for the help

Are you winning your division in sanctioned matches? Are you well spoken? Do you dress well? Can you speak well?

Winning CDP in sanctioned matches...

And I'm a Midshipman at the Naval Academy soon to be in the Marine Corps as a commissioned officer. I'd like to think I dress well and have good presence when speaking.

As far as offering the company something in return, sure, wearing their tee's, using their gear and promoting how well it works for what I do. I know being in the military takes up a lot of time with deployments etc but I can still make a lot of matches when I'm stateside. I shot with a sponsored shooter for S&W the other weekend who's in the Army and she said it's not too terribly difficult. Just gotta get your name out there, build a credible record and promote the company.

So you have shot three matches and beat one master and now you think you should be sponsored? I think you should first get classified then shoot a bunch of majors. You will see where you really stack up when you start shooting majors. Once you start shooting more you meet more people and build relationships. Sponsorship comes from those relationships you make. At least that is how I got mine. You must walk first before you can run, if that makes sense. In other words don't bite off more than you can chew cause you can really have it handed too you at a major. Can be a very humbling indeed.

So you have shot three matches and beat one master and now you think you should be sponsored? I think you should first get classified then shoot a bunch of majors. You will see where you really stack up when you start shooting majors. Once you start shooting more you meet more people and build relationships. Sponsorship comes from those relationships you make. At least that is how I got mine. You must walk first before you can run, if that makes sense. In other words don't bite off more than you can chew cause you can really have it handed too you at a major. Can be a very humbling indeed.

That's what I was thinking. And I'm not trying to get carried away here, I know I have a lot do first, I'm just looking for the path others took to get there ya know? It's nice to have a plan for my goal. Thanks though for the tips :cheers:

And I'm a Midshipman at the Naval Academy soon to be in the Marine Corps as a commissioned officer.

Great! Just what we need. Another "Butter Bar" jarhead running around. J/k. Semper Fi Devil Dog.

Indeed you have along way to go. More than you can imagine. However, being in the Corps can be an advantage. They do sponsorships of all types. If you can get into their marksmanship program, you can get sponsors there. Promote The Corp.

You can also get discounts on shooting matches in you sponsor stages or set up as a vendor.

Are you winning your division in sanctioned matches? Are you well spoken? Do you dress well? Can you speak well?

Winning CDP in sanctioned matches...

The thing is, I'm still UN.

How are you shooting sanctioned matches without a classification? I've never heard of a sanctioned match (i.e. "major") letting shooters without a current classification shoot. If you mean you're shooting club-level matches with an IDPA affiliated club that's a whole different ballgame.

Get classified, shoot some majors and see how you stack up, and THEN worry about sponsorship.

My SIL is a Marine and a darn good one. MP shoots all the time. Now we have shot some big matches together, even thought he can run like the wind do 50,000 push ups he just can't beat the wisdom of an old man. n. Now back to getting sponsored, first thing is you have to have something to offer the sponsor, if you start winning major matches that would be a start, then come up with a sales pitch about what you can do for their company, and how thier association with you will help them make money and sell their product. Otherwise you will have to wait till they come looking for you.

I can't shoot but I have a sponsor, I sold them a good plan, and I help them sell product, send them lots of customers, they help me out.

Keep shooting matches, someday it could save your life or your comrad in arms.

Edited by CocoBolo

And I'm a Midshipman at the Naval Academy soon to be in the Marine Corps as a commissioned officer. I'd like to think I dress well and have good presence when speaking.

Snip

Speaking from experience, that might not be a good sell since if the person sponsoring you is looking for someone who can commit a year or two - you won't be available because you'll be in the Basic School and then the FMF.

You won't have much time to spare as a boot 2ndLt plus you won't have many opportunities to shoot in the area (outside of work of course). You'll be in the IOC right after TBS or wherever your billet sends you and you'll likely end up in Afghanistan shortly after you're finished with your training. Your competitive shooting career will be ending for a good bit of time as soon as you commission.

Beyond that - it's like applying for a job and working a job. Qualifications aren't enough - networking is involved as well. Making a habit of treating everyone you meet like a VIP is a great start.

It is a job - the pay and hours are a little different but the expectations are the same.

If you can get onto the Marine Corps shooting team, that would be an option however as an organization - I'm not sure if they'd be willing to commit the resources to training a fresh 2ndLt and sending him to perform in that capacity. If I recall correctly, their entire group is composed of enlisted combat veterans, E-3 and above. That's a very difficult group to jump into as a cherry 2ndLt (Not as a shooting team but as a group of salty experienced Marines).

Also, you will find that there is a large pool of shooters in USPSA that are very talented. I've only shot one IDPA match but I can tell you that the courses in USPSA can be comparatively more demanding based on what I witnessed.

Edited by DyNo!

Thanks for all the replies and help. I'm understanding how much work is involved. As far as the Marine shooting team I can be the OIC (as a 1st LT or Captain), who's also allowed to shoot with the team.

We'll see how it goes :)

And I'm a Midshipman at the Naval Academy soon to be in the Marine Corps as a commissioned officer.

I would have thought that your only possible "sponsor" would be the academy and then the service team. I saw service team shooters at a number of IPSC matches before converting to IDPA.

I doubt your CO would authorize you to moonlight for Acme Ammunition Co. I wouldn't.

I shot with a sponsored shooter for S&W the other weekend who's in the Army and she said it's not too terribly difficult

But maybe things have changed. But maybe only for the Army.

My mistake between understanding the difference in club level and sanctioned match. I'll shoot one later this summer though.

And I'm not sure how it'll work with the Marine Corps and outside sponsorships. Either way I just love to shoot and want to expand my career in it.

And I'm not sure how it'll work with the Marine Corps and outside sponsorships. Either way I just love to shoot and want to expand my career in it.

The Corps may have a process for you to get permissive TDY/TAD to shoot major matches out of your local area. That is one way to keep from burning leave time. Check with the legal office on keeping prizes, cash or goods. The Corps may have different rules than the other services.

FYI, there are only a handful of shooters who make a living from their sponsorships, and most of them do other things for income also. Most sponsored shooters (from an economic standpoint) actually pay to be sponsored. That means what they have to spend to be competitive will exceed the compensation they get from sponsors. Few companies have the funds to sponsor shooters at the pro level. So to earn a job as a pro, you first need to regularly beat guys like Robbie, Todd, Travis, Max, Dave or get a gender change.

The top guys not only can shoot, they are great spokesmen also, they have a huge head start on you, so hit the range if you are serious, they will.

FYI, there are only a handful of shooters who make a living from their sponsorships, and most of them do other things for income also. Most sponsored shooters (from an economic standpoint) actually pay to be sponsored. That means what they have to spend to be competitive will exceed the compensation they get from sponsors. Few companies have the funds to sponsor shooters at the pro level. So to earn a job as a pro, you first need to regularly beat guys like Robbie, Todd, Travis, Max, Dave or get a gender change.

The top guys not only can shoot, they are great spokesmen also, they have a huge head start on you, so hit the range if you are serious, they will.

Thanks, I didn't know that part about actually paying the sponsor. I'm not looking to make a living off shooting, that's what my major (Naval Architecture/ engineering) is for :blush: I plan on practicing a lot more as I get time and hopefully a club membership near where I am now. I wished this post to be an informative tool for myself and others who have hopes of shooting in the big leagues (with guys whom you mentioned) someday. I'm just all about shooting, love it, and want to bring as many people as I can into the shooting sports.