Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting SSR in IDPA

GMyers

After installing a reduced power hammer spring (this is not the point of this post, I promise) in my Ruger SP101 this past weekend and doing a little shooting at the range (I amazed myself with all 0's in an untimed Bill Drill), I have decided that I might really like shooting in the SSR Division.

I know that most people prefer S&W revolvers however I have always had a liking for Ruger.  Is there any objective reason that I would want to choose a S&W over a Ruger GP100 .357?  Thanks for your thoughts!

The only reason most people prefer the S&W wheel gun to the Ruger is that you can get a WAY better trigger set up with the S&W.   At this point and time you get a lot more after market stuff for the Smiths too.  The Ruger's strength is in it's strength.

(Edited by John Thompson at 12:07 am on Sep. 20, 2001)

the advantage you have with a S&W is better trigger, moon clips ( in my 610 and in 625's) better trigger, i prefer the cylinder release location on the smith's ooh yeah, did i mention smoother trigger?

bottom line shoot what you like unless you want to win nationals, then shoot what you can shoot the best........ but as long as jerry michulek is alive we won't have to worry about winning!

Has anybody mentioned yet that you can get a better trigger on a Smith?

I have been shooting a Model 10 this year. It hasn't had a trigger job but it is very smooth. A Smith trigger just keeps getting better the longer you shoot it.

I borrowed a Service Six to try and I thought it had a sharper recoil than my Model 10. Might just be the way it fit me.

We have Jerry to beat in IPSC and Alex Zimmerman in IDPA.

Bill

Is it simply a matter of design that S&W has a better trigger or does no one know how to put a good trigger on a Ruger?  Can a Ruger GP100 trigger be made at least exceptable (subjective, I know)?  For reasons unknown to me, I have always liked Ruger but I suppose I could change.

Right now a National's winning revolver is not really on my radar scope as I am just now getting into competative shooting and have a LONG way to go.  And what a great excuse a few years down the road... "Honey, this trigger just won't work anymore.  To advance to the next level I need a..."

Thanks guys!

the trigger on both guns can be improved greatly, i am not experienced enough in my own eyes to start handing out gunsmithing advice, but certain areas can be smoothed/polished and lubed to make your gun smoother, and lighter springs can help quite a bit.

i know what you mean about not being ready yet, but i am an expert/sharpshooter class in IDPA. i just like to hve th ebest equipment i can, that keeps me from blaming the equipment when I lose!