Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds can you load per hour

hi johnnymazz,   I spent a lot of time deciding how to respond to your posts.

What you did was tell me how much automation costs and what to expect.

I like that knowledge.  AND that part is what this thread is about.  what to expect.

I believe it is possible for a 650 to go at 800 rounds a minute.

I have not seen that I can run it at at 1200 RPH for powder flinging.

ahem... I have tried... can you say "crushed cases?"

so anyone who says they can get more I tend to discount a bit.

Please do not let others who appear to be contradicting you take

away from what you are stating.  If you are true (not my call as I do not have

any of your equipment) your experience is valid in my mind.

that said... please take a little teasing from me.

your set setup sounds nice and I can't imagine feeding

that big dog!

ah that is a glorious setup.

miranda

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Johnnymazz said:

Ahh I just need to keep my mouth shut. But a lot of money all depends on what your income is my friend.

Of course it all depends on your budget, if I had the cash I would also buy a Mk7/1100 with all the bells and whistles.

But since we are talking about Boatdoc specifically, he mentions not having the $$ on hand right away meaning there may be better ways to spend that extra 2K, 3k or even 4K needed for an automated setup.

Also he is loading 9mm and .45 both of which do not need pre-processing and only go thru the machine once.

Point is, on this forum "everyone" seems to have plenty of cash to buy the latest and greatest and that is perfectly fine.

But there are other options that will also work for a lot less and it doesn't hurt to point that out as well.

7 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

...Also he is loading 9mm and .45 both of which do not need pre-processing and only go thru the machine once...

...But there are other options that will also work for a lot less and it doesn't hurt to point that out as well...

Pre-processing: Neither 9 nor 45 "need" pre-processing but if you are automated it is highly advisable to do so.

If you are not it smooths out the process at the cost of twice as many lever pulls.

I wouldn't consider pre-processing if I was only manual but I wouldn't think of not doing it on my automated 1100.

Since I pre-process on the 1100 I get the freebie of using processed brass on my 650. It's nice having that option.

But is it absolutely necessary? Not at all.

Options: If you talk to 100 re-loaders you will find 100 different processes and probably 100 different levels of investment.

I don't know anybody who does things exactly like me or anybody else.

There are about a zillion ways to skin this cat.

On 6/30/2022 at 3:44 AM, xrayfk05 said:

Of course it all depends on your budget, if I had the cash I would also buy a Mk7/1100 with all the bells and whistles.

But since we are talking about Boatdoc specifically, he mentions not having the $$ on hand right away meaning there may be better ways to spend that extra 2K, 3k or even 4K needed for an automated setup.

Also he is loading 9mm and .45 both of which do not need pre-processing and only go thru the machine once.

Point is, on this forum "everyone" seems to have plenty of cash to buy the latest and greatest and that is perfectly fine.

But there are other options that will also work for a lot less and it doesn't hurt to point that out as well.

thanks  for this great post.   you understand my post.. it is purely about  finding ways to streamline my process to produce 250-300 or more  rounds /hour . using  the set up i  have now( entirely manual on a  55c rl )

sure a 750  or  a 1100  would be great  but those options are not on the table at this  point. I find it interesting to read about why these 2 loaders  produce more ammo than I do now   and what each loader  has to offer someone moving up. the education on this  forum is priceless. thanks to those who contribute

sorry  if this discussion started some in fighting. it  was not intended

2 hours ago, boatdoc173 said:

and it is appreciated. you contribute quite a bit to this forum and your opinion is valued

Thank you sir. Everyones opinion on what is too much to spend varies. Im a diehard reloader, thats my hobby. Just like someone who golfs, they spend a fortune on a set of expensive clubs . Ive been called crazy more than once buying a $5,000.00 high end pistol. If you ever decide to step up to an automated unit we are here to help , thats what this forum is all about. Have a great 4th holiday

4 hours ago, boatdoc173 said:

thanks  for this great post.   you understand my post.. it is purely about  finding ways to streamline my process to produce 250-300 or more  rounds /hour . using  the set up i  have now( entirely manual on a  55c rl )

If you are just looking at getting a few more rounds loaded per hour maybe a case feeder will help. DAA makes a mini case feeder which is not too expensive. You still have to manual load the cases in the tubes but you can  keep your right hand in the handle at all times.

Otherwise something like a Pal filler or perhaps the Hornady/Frankford Arsenal versions might be worth checking out. All depending on how quick you are at filling tubes at the moment.

And in fighting?
It's a forum, people post there opinions and arguments for them. That's what forums are for :)

Yes, people call you crazy for buying a 5K pistol, but if you go on 5K holiday for 3 weeks no-one blinks an eye.

11 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

If you are just looking at getting a few more rounds loaded per hour maybe a case feeder will help. DAA makes a mini case feeder which is not too expensive. You still have to manual load the cases in the tubes but you can  keep your right hand in the handle at all times.

Otherwise something like a Pal filler or perhaps the Hornady/Frankford Arsenal versions might be worth checking out. All depending on how quick you are at filling tubes at the moment.

And in fighting?
It's a forum, people post there opinions and arguments for them. That's what forums are for :)

Yes, people call you crazy for buying a 5K pistol, but if you go on 5K holiday for 3 weeks no-one blinks an eye.

I have the case feeder for the 550 from DAA. Initially I liked it, but it did not give me any advantage of making more rounds. It kinda slowed me down as I had  to make sure the case is not anyhow slanted, crooked etc and goes in the first stage without a problem. With 9 mm it is very bad, my speed was actually slower than hand feeding. Longer cases like 357 mag were fine.

After getting a few cases not straight and not looking at them and then causing problems, I took it off again. My speed is back to normal and I have no issues. If someone wants this casefeeder, contact me...

Edited by RudyVey

12 hours ago, Johnnymazz said:

If you ever decide to step up to an automated unit we are here to help , thats what this forum is all about. Have a great 4th holiday

YOu too @johnnymazz. enjoy this great holiday and thanks for your posts and help

I agree   cost is  in the eye of the beholder.  I once said I would never  buy a n expensive 1911.  now my favorite guns are made by the likes of Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Deep River  Customs and CZ  Custom shop.  perspective changes. wallets  and wives are the limiters. To each their own. just have to enjoy what we  like to do--shooting and reloading. It is very true that reloading is not a cost saving move--it is a shoot more for less than commercial ammo prices thing  IMHO

11 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

And in fighting?

I think thos e ideas are interesting and may be considered. first step is  incorporating some of the suggestions offered up so far .  more organization  in the loading area,=convenient placing of bullets, cases,  developing a more steady ,yet safe. work flow and  of course (hopefully) not fussing  with the primer  tower anymore).:)

thanks

Edited by boatdoc173

22 hours ago, RudyVey said:

I took it off again. My speed is back to normal and I have no issues. If someone ants this casefeeder, contact me...

interesting post. one forum member loves  the case  feeder  anothe r  hates it

make s me believe  the KISS(keep it simple stupid)  is a mandra for  me. the more simple the set up ( for now anyway) the less likely I will have  MORE issues and slower  reloading speeds. look what a couple of small primer loading system issues did to me.

I will have to  think long an d hard and do more research to add anything to the system  now. I am inclined to  see what my primer system fixes as well as  developing a new work flow and rhythm  will do for me.

Edited by boatdoc173
spelling

On 6/29/2022 at 11:55 PM, Miranda said:

hi johnnymazz,  

I believe it is possible for a 650 to go at 800 rounds a minute.

miranda

I'd like to see that - but from a distance!  😀

On 7/4/2022 at 5:38 AM, Tom S. said:

I'd like to see that - but from a distance!  😀

yeah me too....    ooops.

ETA:

I did laugh   

I forgot to add a smiley face   😄

Edited by Miranda
wanted to make sure I was clear.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sako5021 said:

Anyone get the "no home switch found" error on the Rev3? How do you fix that?

Are you talking about the Ammobot Rev 3? 

If so I'd go over to the old Ammobot Facebook group that was renamed as "Dillon Automation"

There is a lot of Ammobot tribal knowledge over there... https://www.facebook.com/groups/dillonautomationowners