How many rounds can you load per hour

Super 1050

Casefeeder: Yes

KISS Bullet Feeder: Yes

Dillon RF 100: Yes

Experience: 9 years

1500/hour

Shooters in the family running 9mm major at matches: up to 3

Kids shoot ammo like it's free, and to them it is.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a good comparison to another brand. Hornady Projector (old style, not new lock and load): Right at 1,000 rounds per hour of 45acp, 40S&W, 38spl, 357mag, and 9mm. No case feeder or other new fangled gadgets. Millions of rounds loaded.

I don't mean to contribute to the drift but the biggest trick for me to getting 400 per hour is loading the tubes in advance. I posted 400 per hour is my comfortable rate with my 550B. I am not rushing in any way. Just fluid technique gets me there.

I will admit that I have done some tests and was able to get close to 100 in ten minutes but also found I was out of my comfort zone.

I have found that seemingly very small changes to technique make pretty big differences. For a long time I was seating a primer and then reaching for both a case and bullet at the same time. Then one day I reached for a bullet too soon by mistake and realized I was doing it wrong all along. Now I grab a bullet as soon as I sit the other one on the case. It smoothed things out just a little bit but increased production quite a bit for me.

I agree, reloading and rushing don't mix.

Reloading experience - 2 years

Dillon 650 - 800 round per hour

Super 1050 - 1100 round per hour

This is with all primer tubes pre-filled, and I'm not including the time it takes to fill the tubes. Also assuming the brass has been properly inspected to avoid any hiccups.

I am not sure what is the point of citing some burst rate? How quickly you can jerk the handle and feel good about yourself?

The only rate that has any significance is the average rate over several hours, including all preparation, packaging, etc.

I can move my hand as fast as most guys, I have done 100 rounds in under 5 minutes... and then I spent at least that long (actually longer) putting the ammo in the boxes, writing and attaching the labels, adding bullets to the tray, adding powder, starting the primer feeders, organizing my bench, changing the tune on my player, answering phone call from my wife upstairs, etc. I also have to clear an occasional jam and adjust the press.

That REAL rate is usually around 400 rounds an hour, and that is the ONLY thing that has ANY significance.

Otherwise someone with no experience might think you can disappear in your basement for an hour and come back with 1500 rounds of loaded ammo.

Otherwise someone with no experience might think you can disappear in your basement for an hour and come back with 1500 rounds of loaded ammo.

Burst rate is how I've loaded for many, many years. Load a few hundred at a time everyday and you have ammo for shooting time. :cheers:

You can easily crank out 1500 an hour in my experience with a 1050 if you have the right setup, as 4 minutes per 100 isn't going crazy. If you need to crank out rounds, you can get them through the press in less than 3 minutes.

I only load for 30-60 minutes on the 1050 if I'm pulling the handle though.

The super 1050 with the automated arm, you could load all day long, so though it is slower per hour, I have no doubt you could make 9K rounds in a day if you had the components and the bullet and primer tube filler. I have two so I don't have to wait on primers.

Having little extra time and needing large amounts of ammo, having a fast, reliable press (and the extras to make it optimized) is worth every penny spent and is like money in the bank the way they hold their value.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

You can easily crank out 1500 an hour in my experience with a 1050 if you have the right setup, as 4 minutes per 100 isn't going crazy. If you need to crank out rounds, you can get them through the press in less than 3 minutes.

I load on 1050 and three 650's, so I know how fast you can go, but that is never my concern. I actually load for pleasure, I like being downstairs. If you do all other tasks I listed you get nowhere near that 1500 number, which is perfectly fine with me - there is so much more to reloading that burst rates.

XL 650

Bullet feeder: Yes

Experience: 14 years

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 700

Average Rounds/Hour, Rifle: 0 so far...

I only have 6 primer tubes so I will barney the press with the first tube and fill all 6. I usually run through all the tubes in about 0:45 so the hourly rate is ~900. I don't mind reloading for about the first 2-300 rounds. After that, I just want to be done. The bullet feeder makes it real easy. When I did time trials I got a fastest time (full tube to buzzer) of 2 minutes and 8 seconds.

Later,

Chuck

I load on 1050 and three 650's, so I know how fast you can go, but that is never my concern. I actually load for pleasure, I like being downstairs. If you do all other tasks I listed you get nowhere near that 1500 number, which is perfectly fine with me - there is so much more to reloading that burst rates.

Well, you said you didn't want people to expect they could go to the basement and come out with 1500 rounds later, and I think that is reasonable if their goal if they are equipped properly.

I don't care to do most of those other task you listed. I'm glad you enjoy your loading time. I do not like loading, but I like shooting :cheers::)

I don't care to do most of those other task you listed.

But you still do them, so they should be included in the total time. It is far more interesting to know the real hourly rate, not some made-up cranking number. Otherwise it is like saying my travel time from my home in Phily to NYC should be 15 minutes, because the plane does 560mph.

Edited by Foxbat

I am not sure what is the point of citing some burst rate? How quickly you can jerk the handle and feel good about yourself?

The only rate that has any significance is the average rate over several hours, including all preparation, packaging, etc.

I can move my hand as fast as most guys, I have done 100 rounds in under 5 minutes... and then I spent at least that long (actually longer) putting the ammo in the boxes, writing and attaching the labels, adding bullets to the tray, adding powder, starting the primer feeders, organizing my bench, changing the tune on my player, answering phone call from my wife upstairs, etc. I also have to clear an occasional jam and adjust the press.

That REAL rate is usually around 400 rounds an hour, and that is the ONLY thing that has ANY significance.

From my standpoint either rate is useful if you know what it is based on. My quoted rate of 450 included all tasks required to make the ammo including picking up primers, lubing brass, adding bullets to the tray etc. I did not include any gauging or packaging and I don't think they should be included since they are not same for everyone. One person may box and label like you do and another may simply dump the loaded rounds in a border shift bag and take them to the range. I didn't include the time required to answer your wife's phone calls in my number either. ;)

Today in 5.5 hours I loaded just over 4,000 rds of .223 55 fmj. This was a nice steady pace with a two count for consistent powder drop.

I have a RL 1050 with a Mr. Bulletfeeder unit. I started with a clean unit and 5 primer tubes full, and one batch of prepped lubed cases. I had to stop every 500rds to load primer tubes with the ol' vibra prime, and put powder in the hopper every 200rds. I lubed and dumped 500 pieces of brass at a time, and intermittently checked the powder drop during the 100 primer cycle as well. Having a digital scale is a must! I also had to stop and clean out and reset the bulletfeeder collator once due to media getting in there and clogging it up. This also includes one bathrooom break and wolfing down a sandwich on the fly....LOL

Thought this might put things into perspective about acutal rounds loaded versus cranking out 100 and doing the math.... ;)

Now, time for..... :cheers: and inspection too...

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

RL1050 (Original Nickel Plated Model)

Bullet feeder: No

Experience: 22 years

Average Rounds/Hour, Pistol: 1,200

Average Rounds/Hour, Rifle: only loaded rifle once (.223), swore never again on a 1050

My quoted rate of 450 included all tasks required to make the ammo including picking up primers, lubing brass, adding bullets to the tray etc. I did not include any gauging or packaging and I don't think they should be included since they are not same for everyone. One person may box and label like you do and another may simply dump the loaded rounds in a border shift bag and take them to the range. I didn't include the time required to answer your wife's phone calls in my number either. ;)

400 to 450 seems to be good steady rate without blowing your head gasket, and still boxing/organizing new ammo. I load all my ammo in 100 rd boxes, and make labels - I have to, as I load at least 4 kinds of the same caliber - 9 Major. I like having rounds in the box, as I can see the primers and check them. Also makes it much easier to load the mags - counting is too tedious! :) As you load at the match, someone will always disturb you!

But you are right, these final operations ARE different for everyone, hence I am not sure the original question has too much meaning.

I am not sure the original question has too much meaning.

Then I think you missed the point of the question, as different machines load machines in different amounts of time with different amounts of effort, and he said he is asked daily this question. I think it is obvious he is looking to see what other peoples experiences are, since he already knows what he can do. If he gets enough good replies, then he can do some math and make averages to better inform his customers of what those rates are.

The OTHER things you added to your reloading time aren't what it takes to load the rounds by pulling the handle and putting components through the machine. I went out and loaded 300 rounds in just under 14 minutes, no fuss no muss, and even threw them in their pre labeled ammo can. The best part is I just flipped a switch and filled the primer tube fillers and added bullets, brass and even had time to top off the powder.

If it takes you 1 hour to do something I can do in 17-20 minutes, then he can average it out, so it makes a lot of sense to me and kudos to BE for asking.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

I'm only setup to load 9mm

RL 550B

Casefeeder:No

Exp: 1 year

Rounds per hour: 500/600 minor w/ the Music cranking and 5 loaded primer tubes..

or 200 - 9 Major loads

On the 9 Major loads, i'm a little anal on those badboys...I eyeball check every round at stage 2 (powder drop). I weigh the powder every 25th or 50th round to double check. Case gauge and Barrel check every round. Dial Caliper every 25th or 50th round as well for OAL. Last thing I need is a problem so I slow down on the 9 Major rounds...

Right now i'm training the boy (15yrs old) to do it so I can it to his Chore list of daily duties :roflol:

Today in 5.5 hours I loaded just over 4,000 rds of .223 55 fmj. This was a nice steady pace with a two count for consistent powder drop.

I have a RL 1050 with a Mr. Bulletfeeder unit. I started with a clean unit and 5 primer tubes full, and one batch of prepped lubed cases. I had to stop every 500rds to load primer tubes with the ol' vibra prime, and put powder in the hopper every 200rds. I lubed and dumped 500 pieces of brass at a time, and intermittently checked the powder drop during the 100 primer cycle as well. Having a digital scale is a must! I also had to stop and clean out and reset the bulletfeeder collator once due to media getting in there and clogging it up. This also includes one bathrooom break and wolfing down a sandwich on the fly....LOL

Thought this might put things into perspective about acutal rounds loaded versus cranking out 100 and doing the math.... ;)

Now, time for..... :cheers: and inspection too...

DougC

THIS is the correct answer.

If you crank out 6,000 rds in 8 hours on a 1050 you are ahead of 99.99% of the rest of the world. That works out to around 750/hr net.

However most folks don't seem to load in those types of quantities.

(Manually fed) SDB.

Just shy of 20 years experience with that press (started with it, never bothered to get another).

With preloaded primer tubes (I have 16), and lubed roll sized brass:

Major match ammo, with O-C driven extra quality checks: 400 to 450 rounds an hour effortlessly (used to be slower, until I picked up on and had repaired a broken primer slide that I'd adjusted for with another reloading step).

Local match ammo, without the QC (meticulous prep of the components and consistent reloading technique make for pretty reliable ammo): 500 rounds an hour.

Practice ammo, where I don't mind the occasional malfunction drill practice, and where I'm not shooting groups: 600 rounds an hour.

Honestly, though, I rarely load more than one bag of prepped cases per session (400 9mm or 300 40's)so I'm usually done in about an hour, occasionally two if I open up another bag o' brass.

Edited by kevin c