Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight USPSA E-Magazine

DyNo!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a reminder - no one is suggesting that the printed version be discontinued.

What? USPSA is discontinuing Front Sight! This is bull$hit! First IDPA does away with the revolver divisions and now this. Oh wait...nevermind. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Merged topics here. - Moderator

I really like Front Sight and even if I stopped shooting USPSA I'd keep my membership alive just for the publication. However, I really don't need the the dead tree version. A quality, color PDF would be fine. I know some people collect magazines but I don't have the room or desire since USPSA offers an archive of back issues online.

Do you guys think USPSA should offer a color electronic version of the magazine in lieu of the paper version? It would no doubt save the organization a lot of money. I'd also like to see a color version of the magazines in the archive (either as a paid option, a member benefit or an incentive for people to convert the electronic version).

Edited by Flexmoney

I would add too that if I were an advertiser, I would think long and hard about advertising in an e-version (probably wouldn't).

I think that would depend on a variety of factors; Firstly the number of downloads, if this number was significant then there would be no loss to the advertiser. Secondly if the advertisement image was stored on the company's own server then they could update the advertisement to show their current deals/offers. So even if the online magazine was months old, the ad would still be current.

I would add too that if I were an advertiser, I would think long and hard about advertising in an e-version (probably wouldn't).

I think that would depend on a variety of factors; Firstly the number of downloads, if this number was significant then there would be no loss to the advertiser. Secondly if the advertisement image was stored on the company's own server then they could update the advertisement to show their current deals/offers. So even if the online magazine was months old, the ad would still be current.

some of the cool things are the old ads, to see what was going on back in the day.

Electronic version also makes it difficult to remove ones address label and leave a copy in airplanes, Dr. waiting rooms, and the like (I "advertise" with my old ones, vs. throwing them away - personally cannot abide stacks of clutter - er, old magazines - around the house, and - who knows - maybe it will get someone interested/started/somewhere...).

Electronic version also makes it difficult to remove ones address label and leave a copy in airplanes, Dr. waiting rooms, and the like (I "advertise" with my old ones, vs. throwing them away - personally cannot abide stacks of clutter - er, old magazines - around the house, and - who knows - maybe it will get someone interested/started/somewhere...).

Yep, this is what I like to do to ones I'm done with in case someone might pick up and take an interest.

Guys - I am in the marketing and PR business and I will tell you that the right road in my professional opinion is to have both (in a sense). What you find from an ad impact perspective is that e magazines do not carry the creditably of a print magazine and therefore have less ROI for the advertiser (a very important aspect obviously).

Emags suffer from several drawbacks including:

• White noise - everyone and their mom has an emag or newsletter that they bombard inbox's with. Many of these hit the trash before they are even opened.
  • Rendering - because computer screens are different sizes the magazine displays differently for different readers. This has a huge impact on the time each reader spends looking at an ad. If you can't see the whole ad or it is really shrunken you don't get the impact of the ad and the ROI of the ad goes down.
  • Frustration factor - a paper magazine works every time you open it. An emag - not so much. Even the PDF format, which is largely universal, has many possible technical failures.
  • Connection - virtually everyone gets postal mail everyday. Not everyone opens email everyday. The frequency of email use is much higher in the younger demographic groups but is still not as universal as postal mail delivery.

There are more problems but this is really enough to shelve the "E only" idea in my opinion.

This is not to say don't do digital. A digital version of the magazine should be offered on the website IN ADDITION to the print edition. This need not be emailed out (which does have a cost - albeit lower than postal mail) - a simple link on the site to the latest version would be sufficient. This gives those who prefer to view electronically the option while maintaining the value of the print edition. A redesign of the website would be huge too but that is another topic.

• 4 weeks later...

Electronic and print mags reach different audiences. I am not a marketing guy but here is my take:

1. If you send it in electronic form you save lots of money but you will never be able to use it as a marketing tool since only members will see it. If you allow non members to see it you take away a benefit of membership.

2. Not all members even have email which means we stil have to publish and if we publish less copies, our per copy cost increases.

3. Advertising dollars are spent in print mags because they reach more than just those who subscribe or members. I pass mine on to folks that might join and shooters will look at the magazine in offices and gun shops so the idea is that for every magazine published, it is seen by say 2 people making the scope wider.

4. About 10 years ago USPSA published IN TOUCH that was 4 pages with little or no ads and mailed to members. If USPSA would send IN TOUCH in an electronic form they could increase membership communication, add advertising revenue and do so for almost free. T he only real cost would be salaries of the staff but we have to pay them anyway.

The BOD kicked around some options while I was on the BOD so I would encourage anyone who has ideas to pass them to your AD.

I forgot about In Touch! It was great! miss it again!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a little different spin on it. Allow those of us who want it in digital format to pay a little extra and get it that way. More money for USPSA, less headache for me. Keep sending me the paper copy, but i'll buy a pdf copy as well.

Why should we pay them extra for them not having to print and mail a copy of the magazine to us? Digital distribution is MUCH cheaper than paper. If anything those who want a digital only version should get a discount.

Realistically paper magazines are going out of business left and right these days because the format is outdated. A digital "magazine" is a stop-gap measure where you're digitally formatting things in an old "magazine" format, but they really should get with the times and set up a content portal on the main website where the articles and such appear as they're written. The old format of set pages that come on as a group monthly just doesn't work for modern needs.

Also, though I'm getting up into some age now myself (I'm past 30 and don't really think of myself as "young" anymore), but it seems like taking a magazine into the bathroom is kind of a "tradition" that is aging out. Personally the very thought of taking paper into the bathroom that comes back out with me seems downright nasty :S.

How can i set an e-copy on the counter at work to help spread the sport?

Set it up in a proper web-base content management system and you can share interesting articles and such out to social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc). That'll probably gain a lot more eyes than leaving a copy of a paper magazine out somewhere.

Edited by MGMorden

I appreciate your perspective and agree that a "blog" style magazine would be valuable. Where we disagree is the idea that paper is dead. It is not what it once was but there is a very real portion of the population that prefers the physical paper Format. I'm in my 30's, I'm very technically savvy and a heavy Internet user - however I do prefer some types of information in the paper format. When I read or edit technical papers I almost always print them out as I get more out of them on paper.

People are different and like different things. Digital only would miss a large group and result in lower circulation. Print & digital is the way to go.

Front Sight magazine doesnt even have a facebook page.

USPSA barely uses theirs (even though they have 15,000 likes)

With just over 20,000 members, they have 15,000 'likes' on FB...let that sink in for a moment.

An electronic option seems like a good idea.