Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition sights for P30L?

kriskexplorer

I am trying to figure out what the best choices are for sights for a P30L. I'm currently using the stock 3 dot and I am having a hard time with them. I think I would like to go black. I would like some Warren Tactical sights but that doesn't look like an option. Anyway I was looking at Heinie sights and they have the Slantpro QWIK Straight Eight sights model 3950 but they still have the dots. Would these be an improvement over the stock sights? If so how so. Also is there something else out there I should look at?

My main use for the P30L is IDPA/USPSA shooting. I'm starting to think I should of went with a Glock 34. Thanks in advance for the help.

This first part is copied from another thread asking about HK 45 sights:

First off, you are welcome to do what I did, which gave me a perfectly acceptable result: I bought a .180 tall by .125 wide Dawson FO front sight for a Kimber, which has a bigger dovetail than the HK, and filed the dovetail down 'till it fit. Took me about ten minutes, shoots to POA, and I'm happy...But not happy enough.

I called everyone I could think of to inquire about getting some decent (competition) sights for the HK 45 / P30. I spoke to Heinie first, as they already make a set, but they refused, saying they would produce nothing other than the night sights they already make. Nothing without tritium, nothing with different heights, widths, etc. I also tried Novak, Warren, etc, with no luck. I contacted Dawson about making some sights months ago. Initially I got a no, but eventually I talked to the right person (thanks Chet), and I think we are headed in the right direction. I sent them my slide, and they are going to make a .180 x .125 FO and plain serrated front sight to fit the factory dovetail. And if possible (fingers crossed), I am having them make a front and rear set, similar to their M&P sights, with a .180 x .115 front sight, and a rear sight with a .135 wide notch. Now some may not like those demensions, but I'm funding the extra R&D costs out of my own pocket so that they will become a regular stocked item at Dawson, so deal with it

*UPDATE* I got a call from Dawson late last week. They are going to make a complete sight set, front and rear! Should be done in a week and a half or so, and they are going to ship my slide back with the sights installed. I'll shoot it as soon as possible, and if no changes need to be made, they will begin stocking them as a regular item. If anything needs to be tweaked, it may be jast a little while longer.

I'll post pics as soon as I get the slide back.

Edited by RAZZ

• 4 weeks later...

Got a call from Dawson this afternoon. The sights are in the mail! I'll post some pics as soon as I get them.

ETA Oh ya, all you impatient SOBs who ave already called or e-mailed Dawson...They are not in production yet. They are sending me the prototype, and I first have to make sure the dimensions are what I want, and that they shoot to POA. Once I'm satisfied, they will start making them. If they have to change the front sight height, or any other dimensions, it may be another week or two.

Edited by RAZZ

Got a call from Dawson this afternoon. The sights are in the mail! I'll post some pics as soon as I get them.

ETA Oh ya, all you impatient SOBs who ave already called or e-mailed Dawson...They are not in production yet. They are sending me the prototype, and I first have to make sure the dimensions are what I want, and that they shoot to POA. Once I'm satisfied, they will start making them. If they have to change the front sight height, or any other dimensions, it may be another week or two.

very cool..looking forward to see photos and hear your report on them.

First off, you are welcome to do what I did, which gave me a perfectly acceptable result: I bought a .180 tall by .125 wide Dawson FO front sight for a Kimber, which has a bigger dovetail than the HK, and filed the dovetail down 'till it fit. Took me about ten minutes, shoots to POA, and I'm happy...But not happy enough.

Interesting. I'm looking for a shorter front sight for my P2000, which I'm pretty sure is the same front dovetail. I'll have to see what sizes they offer.

All right boys and girls, here you go.

Just got back from the range and I am very pleased. The sights are exceptional. Fine enough for precision shots, with enough daylight on each side of the front sight to still be fast. They shot to POA with Ranier 147 gr JHP Atlanta Arms ammo at 25 yards, and just a little high with 115 gr Federal. I suspect most won't even notice it, but it did print higher than the 147 ammo. I spoke to Dawson after I left the range and gave them the green light to start making / stocking them, so go ahead and call them if you want them. Keep in mind these will work for any P30 model (L, S, .40, etc) and for the HK45. At this time the configuration will only be plain rear with a fiber optic front, but if enough people ask for a plain front, they will make it. They will also make a front sight slightly taller, and slightly shorter for those wanting to change their POI a little bit. The rear is not serrated, but it has a very rough texture on it that (Dawson says) does the same job--and I'd agree.

DSCF0032-1.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

Oooo, I like them! Thanks for posting the pictures! Do you think they will be fine enough for 6" square plates at 25 yards?

I don't think these sights would be what limits a person (me :D ) from hitting a 6" plate past 25 yards...

nice! thanks for sharing. Could you tell me the actual sight hight compared to the factory front sight? I would like to order sights, but I am not sure how they compare to factory heights. I prefer a slightly higher POI....

the front sight looks thinner than factory, which is good as the OEM front sight is way too thick.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

nice! thanks for sharing. Could you tell me the actual sight hight compared to the factory front sight? I would like to order sights, but I am not sure how they compare to factory heights. I prefer a slightly higher POI....

the front sight looks thinner than factory, which is good as the OEM front sight is way too thick.

There are at least two different height factory front sight heights. The one on both of my P30Ls are right around .175". When I bastardized the Kimber sight to fit, I used a .180 tall, and it seemed to work perfectly. When Dawson made me the new front sight, they used a .170 tall sight, and it gave (me) a slightly higher POI with light bullets. 147s were right on at 25 yards, but 115s were an inch and a half to two inches high at 25. Now this is a sample size of 1, and of someone who is not a great group-shooter, so you are probably going to have to just try them on your gun and see, but for me, the height they used works perfectly. I find that frequently when shooting 'action' sports, on close wide open targets, I often kinda look over the gun a little bit, so this POA / POI being just a bit high works perfectly for me.

Oh ya, just wanted to add that Dawson is also making the front sight in .125" wide as well. I requested they make this sight for two applications: First, you could install just this front sight with your factory rear (likely after painting the rear sight like I did), and get a pretty good looking sight picture. Or, if more accuracy-oriented shooting is your game, you can run the .125" wide front sight with the Dawson rear, having a .140 wide notch, and get a much 'tighter' sight picture (even moreso than the .115 wide front sight / Dawson rear combo).