Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

On 5/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Interesting. I accidentally put a 40 in a 45 mag once, the brass expanded to the chamber diameter but didn't split and the round sounded like a very low charge squib, I figured it was sort of a thing where once the brass exceeded the bullet diameter the pressure was relieved almost immediately. 

Yeah, I work for an LE agency so my co-workers are idiots, so I have seen the same thing numerous times with 40's in a 45 or 9's in a 40. Apparently it's different when there is no chamber at all to support the round.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/11/2018 at 2:44 PM, motosapiens said:

local shooter had a detonation doing that last week and cut up his hand pretty good. Obviously it's not dq-able, but it is certainly dangerous (to you, not anyone else).

I also have been present when a round went off doing that exact same thing.  Never cover the ejection port.  

I RO'd a stage yesterday, where most tried the 'catch.'  No safety issue.  Most failed as the round flip directly back at them or way off to the side.

Seeing the clear chamber can be problematic.  If I was unsure, I would make them show clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled across this thread... 

Question. When I do ULSC, if I rack the slide back slowly, my round falls out through my magwell. If I rack more quickly, it pops out the ejection port. Why is this? And is the latter more dangerous or an issue?

Stumbled across this thread... 

Question. When I do ULSC, if I rack the slide back slowly, my round falls out through my magwell. If I rack more quickly, it pops out the ejection port. Why is this? And is the latter more dangerous or an issue?
The same reason if you place a can of soup on the kitchen counter and swipe it hard with your hand it goes flying across the room but if you push it slowly it drops straight off the edge.

Both are fine, both are safe. Catching is just a convenience so you don't have to bend over to pick up a round.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Thx wtturn. ?

I’m relatively new to USPSA and in no way feel comfortable enough to do the flip and catch. But it was interesting to read this thread. Having the round drop to the ground via the magwell does make it easier to find. As it’s around my feet. Instead of it flying to the side. I don’t mind bending over to pick it up. A lot of the time the RO picks it up for me after he watches it fall to the ground. ? Maybe it’s because I’m a lady and they are being gentlemanly. ??

I rack the slide and at the same time throw the gun up slightly, as if to help the round fly out as well. But I won't let go of the slide and begin to catch until I see the round has cleared the ejection port. I think that almost completely eliminates any chance of the round getting caught by the extractor.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 7:48 AM, wtturn said:

The same reason if you place a can of soup on the kitchen counter and swipe it hard with your hand it goes flying across the room but if you push it slowly it drops straight off the edge.

Both are fine, both are safe. Catching is just a convenience so you don't have to bend over to pick up a round.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

This is close, but not the whole story. 

When you pull the slide back slowly to clear the gun, the un-fired round is extracted from the chamber by the extractor.  Because it is un-fired the brass has not expanded and slips from under the extractor, falling out your mag well.  

When you pull the slide back with force, the round is extracted, but doesn't have time to fall away before hitting the ejector.  The ejectors job is to kick fired (and un-fired) cases up and away from the ejection port.  

Either is perfectly fine and safe.  It can become unsafe when A) the shooter isn't paying attention and re-introduces a round into the chamber, or b) the shooter prevents the round from clearing the ejection port.  the ejector can act like a firing pin if a primed round gets trapped between it and the barrel, slide, etc.  

Edited by atomicferret

On 5/12/2018 at 3:19 PM, motosapiens said:

carry optics I think. someone on the 1911 forums did a test last week and blew up some 45 rounds by setting them off outside of a barrel. they pretty much all sent pieces of brass hither and yon, so I'd expect high pressure rounds like 9 or 40 would do even more of that.

The gasses want to take the path of least resistance.  a bullet is super heavy compared to the light "candy shell" piece of brass.  the Brass stretches and eventually rips apart.  the bullet will stay in place.