Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
9mmalpha

Ammo Catching @ match

On 5/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Interesting. I accidentally put a 40 in a 45 mag once, the brass expanded to the chamber diameter but didn't split and the round sounded like a very low charge squib, I figured it was sort of a thing where once the brass exceeded the bullet diameter the pressure was relieved almost immediately. 

Yeah, I work for an LE agency so my co-workers are idiots, so I have seen the same thing numerous times with 40's in a 45 or 9's in a 40. Apparently it's different when there is no chamber at all to support the round.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:44 PM, motosapiens said:

local shooter had a detonation doing that last week and cut up his hand pretty good. Obviously it's not dq-able, but it is certainly dangerous (to you, not anyone else).

I also have been present when a round went off doing that exact same thing.  Never cover the ejection port.  

I RO'd a stage yesterday, where most tried the 'catch.'  No safety issue.  Most failed as the round flip directly back at them or way off to the side.

Seeing the clear chamber can be problematic.  If I was unsure, I would make them show clear.