Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

While I can understand why flip catching could potentially be dangerous I have never seen or read about an AD resulting from a flip catch either.  

If there are no AD's resulting from flip catching then the criticism of flip catching seems to be attempting correction of a problem that doesn't exist.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, RileyLV said:

If there are no AD's resulting from flip catching then the criticism of flip catching seems to be attempting correction of a problem that doesn't exist.

The issue to be aware of as a user of the “flip and catch” technique is sweeping your offhand with the muzzle while chasing the ejected round. It’s important to be looking at the flying round but thinking primarily about where your muzzle is pointed.

(Be very willing to let the round go uncaught if it ejects too far away to safely catch.)

It’s also pretty easy to lock the gun open while flipping the round into the air. I much prefer doing it that way. The second underlying reason those ROs don’t like flippers is because many of them flipcatchhammerdownholster before the RO utters the first syllable in “If you’re finished...”

Spend more than a millisecond with the slide back, show the RO the cleared gun, and hammerdown / holster along with his commands. Don’t race him.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

22 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The issue to be aware of as a user of the “flip and catch” technique is sweeping your offhand with the muzzle while chasing the ejected round. It’s important to be looking at the flying round but thinking primarily about where your muzzle is pointed.

(Be very willing to let the round go uncaught if it ejects too far away to safely catch.)

It’s also pretty easy to lock the gun open while flipping the round into the air. I much prefer doing it that way. The second underlying reason those ROs don’t like flippers is because many of them flipcatchhammerdownholster before the RO utters the first syllable in “If you’re finished...”

Spend more than a millisecond with the slide back, show the RO the cleared gun, and hammerdown / holster along with his commands. Don’t race him.

Point taken, but the "race to ULSC" isn't a problem with F&C, it's a problem with slowing down and breathing after finishing the run.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Exactly! Personally I eject it up and put my hand where it should go. If it's off course it just goes where it goes. I also make it a point to stand there with the slide back waiting for the RO to tell me to put it away. When I hold the timer, I hate it when people have the gun unloaded and in their holster before I can get more than a couple words out. Because that bugs me I don't do it.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Yes, that's a very good point!

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I worked A1 and nationals this year. There were a total of 2 (two) shooters I had to ask to show clear again because they rushed it. There were a total of zero shooters who swept themselves or anyone else, or came even remotely close to doing so while ULSC-ing. I think this whole discussion is fake news.

26 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I worked A1 and nationals this year. There were a total of 2 (two) shooters I had to ask to show clear again because they rushed it. There were a total of zero shooters who swept themselves or anyone else, or came even remotely close to doing so while ULSC-ing. I think this whole discussion is fake news.

Its the internet. Guys need to debate things here. Sometimes fabrication is required to meet the quota.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Its the internet. Guys need to debate things here. Sometimes fabrication is required to meet the quota.

There's a quota?  Now I understand!  B)

Edited by teros135

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, jmaples71 said:

I just can't see the benefit (for show maybe?). Since there is no benefit, I prefer to move slow and cautiously around a loaded gun. 

you can flip and catch slowly and cautiously. just sayin'.....

The only people I've seen do it seem to have the coordination and dexterity to make it happen. I'd be more nervous if someone clumsy or reckless was doing it. That said, I've never even tried to attempt it except with dummy dryfire rounds. 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 12:51 PM, motosapiens said:

I worked A1 and nationals this year. There were a total of 2 (two) shooters I had to ask to show clear again because they rushed it. 

When I get a shooter who rushes the ULSC it's just like you mentioned.  Have them show it again to YOU and then continue on.

AD

I use to cant my pistol, ejection port down and reach my support hand over the slide and rack the slide slowly while ejecting the round Into my hand. In the same motion I’d lock the slide to the rear. There was one RO constantly harassing me about it and talking about getting Dq’d being dangerous and what not so I stopped.

And now I flip my round out and catch it during the unload show clear. 

Its funny because I watched TGO unload in person and YouTube like I use to, so I followed suit, but then was chastised about it. I doubt the RO would have said the same to Rob if they saw him do it though haha 

On 5/10/2018 at 12:53 PM, Turbo0321 said:

I use to cant my pistol, ejection port down and reach my support hand over the slide and rack the slide slowly while ejecting the round Into my hand. In the same motion I’d lock the slide to the rear. There was one RO constantly harassing me about it and talking about getting Dq’d being dangerous and what not so I stopped.

local shooter had a detonation doing that last week and cut up his hand pretty good. Obviously it's not dq-able, but it is certainly dangerous (to you, not anyone else).

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

local shooter had a detonation doing that last week and cut up his hand pretty good. Obviously it's not dq-able, but it is certainly dangerous (to you, not anyone else).

Yeah I heard about that. Definitely an unlucky moment for the shooter. Any idea of what could cause a round that’s ejected to go off like that? I’ve heard of rounds cooking off sitting in a hot barrel, but I don’t think even a 32 round stage would cause enough heat for that to happen. 

11 minutes ago, Turbo0321 said:

Yeah I heard about that. Definitely an unlucky moment for the shooter. Any idea of what could cause a round that’s ejected to go off like that? I’ve heard of rounds cooking off sitting in a hot barrel, but I don’t think even a 32 round stage would cause enough heat for that to happen. 

My understand is it happens when the primer is unlucky enough to hit the ejector. I suspect (without evidence) that is *less* likely to happen when racking the slide quickly, like in a flip/catch scenario.  As an RO, It does make me hesitant to get my face in there during the procedure.

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Open gun? 

Surprised that their would be shrapnel instead of the brass staying in one piece. 

The slide is snapped to the rear and for whatever reason the round dosent clear the ejection port and the nose is caught at the upper right part of the port. At that point the round is trapped nose up and to the right, the cartilage base with the primer is down and to the left in line with the ejector. The slide continues to the rear and drives the ejector into the primer. BANG!!  Just keep on jerking the slide back back just as hard and fast as you can and sooner or later you will get bit. Fun to be cool isn't it. ---------Larry

Edited by Larry White
incomplete

22 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Open gun? 

Surprised that their would be shrapnel instead of the brass staying in one piece. 

carry optics I think. someone on the 1911 forums did a test last week and blew up some 45 rounds by setting them off outside of a barrel. they pretty much all sent pieces of brass hither and yon, so I'd expect high pressure rounds like 9 or 40 would do even more of that.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

carry optics I think. someone on the 1911 forums did a test last week and blew up some 45 rounds by setting them off outside of a barrel. they pretty much all sent pieces of brass hither and yon, so I'd expect high pressure rounds like 9 or 40 would do even more of that.

Interesting. I accidentally put a 40 in a 45 mag once, the brass expanded to the chamber diameter but didn't split and the round sounded like a very low charge squib, I figured it was sort of a thing where once the brass exceeded the bullet diameter the pressure was relieved almost immediately. 

Live and learn. Or try to anyway :) .