Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

2 hours ago, shootin-blanks said:

I can't believe this thread is still going for over 6 years.. anyways,, I think it's dangerous..

I turn the gun clockwise to face the ejection port toward the ground and eject the round. I don't let RO's try and catch it and neither do I.

I just leave it on the ground.. your welcome to it.

How do you "not let" an RO catch it? Flip and catch isn't nearly as dangerous as those who cover the ejection port and slowly rack a round into their hand. 

I occasionally catch one for a shooter but I won't cover their ejection port with my hand . :)

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I turn the ejection port toward the ground, ease the round out and let it hit the ground. If an RO sticks his paws out to try and catch it, I take a quarter step counter clockwise,as to put it out of there reach. Rotate back, show clear, hammer down and holster. I'm not going to put my hand over or in front of  the ejection port, nor let anyone else...

Edited by shootin-blanks
Can't spell

OMG there is a thread about this? LMAO. I try to catch the round, just because it is money I don't want to leave on the ground. If I miss the catch then it disappears into the sea of brass and gravel. It isn't showboating, it is policing your live ammo.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:20 PM, Jim Norman said:

Seriously, The flip and catch is showboating. 

no it isn't. any child or glock owner can learn to do it in a minute or two. Since the majority of uspsa shooters do it, it can't really be showboating. Only a few old weirdos *don't* flip and catch. it's just an easy and safe way to retrieve the round. Much safer than letting a live round drop into the gravel. As an RO at majors, I've seen thousand upon thousands of people do it, and I've yet to see one safety problem.

On 8/12/2017 at 8:02 AM, shootin-blanks said:

I can't believe this thread is still going for over 6 years.. anyways,, I think it's dangerous..

why do you think it's dangerous? since most uspsa shooters do it, if it were dangerous, there ought to be plenty of documented accidents, right?

Data > emotion.

1 hour ago, shootin-blanks said:

mostly with new shooters trying the monkey see monkey do routine I see gun muzzels point all over the place while people try and catch a bullet they just launched into the air.

i see new shooters doing stupid stuff trying to go as fast as people who practice, too. Should we condemn shooting fast?

Maybe I'm just lucky that I have never yet seen a problem, but I suspect it's just something people *feel* is a problem.

Edited by motosapiens

• 1 month later...

OK, I guess I'm slow, but are you saying that pulling the slide back from the rear serrations and catching the round from the air is dangerous? How is that different than pulling the slide back and letting the round fall to the ground? I'm new so don't slay me for asking.

On 6/2/2011 at 5:45 AM, chbrow10 said:

In RO school, Troy explained this as a detonation issue. I remember him saying that as long as your hand was nowhere near the ejection port, it wasn't a safety thing. By racking the slide from the rear serrations, your hand isn't near the ejection port.

I do it, but I know my local ROs who have a problem with it, so I don't do it with them...

There is no USPSA rule, so you can't be DQ'd for it.

It's not some people are just anal.

13 hours ago, Raider26 said:

OK, I guess I'm slow, but are you saying that pulling the slide back from the rear serrations and catching the round from the air is dangerous? How is that different than pulling the slide back and letting the round fall to the ground? I'm new so don't slay me for asking.

I suppose the theory is that catching the round you are focused on catching the round, and not on keeping the gun safe. Bit like texting while driving.....

I dunno.. the cartridge is the dangerous part. Guns don't shoot people, bullets do. Keeping your eye on it might be the safe option. ;) 

Edited by cas

13 hours ago, cas said:

I dunno.. the cartridge is the dangerous part. Guns don't shoot people, bullets do. Keeping your eye on it might be the safe option. ;) 

Not so sure about that. I've had a couple of cartridges sitting on a book shelf for some time - and neither has disturbed the dust. No moves to point themselves at anyone. Maybe they are just patient?

52 minutes ago, perttime said:

Not so sure about that. I've had a couple of cartridges sitting on a book shelf for some time - and neither has disturbed the dust. No moves to point themselves at anyone. Maybe they are just patient?

They may not have appeared to move, but they're watching us all the time, waiting for the exact moment to strike.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid. :P 

2 hours ago, teros135 said:

They may not have appeared to move, but they're watching us all the time, waiting for the exact moment to strike.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid. :P 

Exactly why I will not buy hollow points.

Besides, I hate it when you reload after blowing a stage and the bullets are just giving you that look that they have. 

15 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Exactly why I will not buy hollow points.

Besides, I hate it when you reload after blowing a stage and the bullets are just giving you that look that they have. 

I know that look.  "Tee-hee-hee" :ph34r:.  You know they're laughing...

I have known several people that have had detonations from the round catching on the extractor.  It does happen.  I flipped and caught for a long time, and suddenly I did it once and the round caught.  There was a dent on the primer that should have set it off, but it didn't.   Out of habit, I did it again later and same dent.  Lucky me.  I don't know what exactly changed on my gun but I no longer do it and use the "slow and steady" method to ULSC now and at least two more times rounds have caught on my extractor right on the primer.   However, no dent since I was racking the slide slower.

I'm not aware if my gun still does this.  Been a long time since a round has caught.... may have just been a fluke but I don't do that anymore. 

Edited by Glock26Toter

Oh, I just realized I wrote extractor.  I meant ejector.  It has nothing to do with the closing of the slide. It happens on the open.  At any rate, I was just giving my opinion that there is risk.  Detonations do happen from it.  Although rare.