Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

I know in IDPA they dont allow this ammo catching after you shoot your stage for safety reason. , Some of shooters in USPSA /IPSC do this in the match, I recently was told by someone in local match that it is not allowed anymore even in USPSA. is that something new?

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No rule I know of. I'm mixed. I've see a lot do this, I don't like it because you take your attention off the gun and I've seen a few people reach out and almost sweep themselves. As far as the mechanics of jacking the round out like that - I think it's much safer than that slow, hand roll over the top of the gun that some people contort all around to show clear afterwards. Personally I hold it straight out with a slight elbow bend and sharply yank it back. Usually it's somewhere near the RO or it smacks them in the chest. If they want to catch it - it's fine. Otherwise, I know where it went.

Although - if I were shooting 18 stages of 38SC - I can understand not wanting to leave 1/3 of a box of ammo lying on the ground. Most that I've seen do this do it fairly easily - and if they have any problem catching the round - they don't bother trying trying to recover the catch.

I'm guilty of doing this everytime I unload and show clear :ph34r:

It's all in the angle of the gun when you rack the slide back.. plus the RO can CLEARLY see the chamber is empty. If the round goes elsewhere or out of reach I don't bother going after it, Safety First.

I used to do this all the time in both IDPA and USPSA. But, after having several SO's try to DQ me at sanctioned matches for the practice I finally got tired of arguing and gave up and stopped doing it anywhere.

Edited by Bob Hostetter

plus the RO can CLEARLY see the chamber is empty.

You mean the RO can see in the chamber when you do the flip? I hate seeing the flip. And when I do I don't even pretend to be looking at the chamber. I'm watching hands and muzzles looking for a sweep or 180. I always make the shooter go back to showing me an empty chamber after the sideshow is over.:cheers:

This topic comes up like what? Every month?

At least in USPSA, the onus is on the shooter to have a clear gun when he squeezes the trigger.

I'm with the sirvyr guy...where is it verboten in the IDPA rulebook?

And a good way to blow a primer, which is also unsafe. Showboating with unacceptable risk.

Some of it habit bread from doing one more equipment test on ejector pressure to confirm the ejector is still tuned. after you had a few go bad and trash a match.

Also I understand that

The slide moving quick actually makes the round hit the ejector off center like it is supposed to do.

a habit and show boat are not quite the same thing

The same thing used to be said years ago about letting the slide slam forward when loading a round , instead of easing it into battery.

Show boat <_< ok maybe

Last Sunday 29 June 2011 at the Boulder Rifle Club USPSA match, a VERY experienced and VERY safe older shooter had a classical .40 cal open breech detonation, flipping a round at ULSC. Blew a big hole in the "karate chop" portion of his hand, as his technique places that part of his hand partly over the ejection port with thumb and fingers on the back of the slide. I have seen him do it hundreds of times. I bet he dosen't do it any more. I personally have had brass surgically removed from my fingers as a result of open breech events because I was moving too fast with a bolt gun. So...it looks pretty cool but I always say "no pain....no pain!

can we just get one of these many flip and catch threads to be a sticky somewhere?

and then whenever an unknowing new guy starts another flip and catch thread, the mods can merge it with the already stickied thread?

can we just get one of these many flip and catch threads to be a sticky somewhere?

and then whenever an unknowing new guy starts another flip and catch thread, the mods can merge it with the already stickied thread?

And just where would you be if we had done that to you...

If you don't want to see it, use the BACK button on your browser.

Last Sunday 29 June 2011 at the Boulder Rifle Club USPSA match, a VERY experienced and VERY safe older shooter had a classical .40 cal open breech detonation, flipping a round at ULSC. Blew a big hole in the "karate chop" portion of his hand, as his technique places that part of his hand partly over the ejection port with thumb and fingers on the back of the slide. I have seen him do it hundreds of times. I bet he dosen't do it any more. I personally have had brass surgically removed from my fingers as a result of open breech events because I was moving too fast with a bolt gun. So...it looks pretty cool but I always say "no pain....no pain!

That doesn't sound so much like "flipping" the round as it does covering the ejection port to let the round fall into his hand.

I'm more interested in how he managed to shoot a match a month into the future!!!

...can he get me the lotto numbers ??? :roflol:

In RO school, Troy explained this as a detonation issue. I remember him saying that as long as your hand was nowhere near the ejection port, it wasn't a safety thing. By racking the slide from the rear serrations, your hand isn't near the ejection port.

I do it, but I know my local ROs who have a problem with it, so I don't do it with them...

There is no USPSA rule, so you can't be DQ'd for it.