Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESP Gun?

Kyle Norris

OK, I plan on getting into IDPA this winter(just wait, I'll be "tactical" before too long here ;) ). I already have a CDP gun in the form of a Springfield and I can probably borrow my brother's Glock 34 for SSP. However, my goal is to concentrate on ESP eventually, and I don't think they'd take kindly to my full-dustcover STI or my heavily magwelled Para. So what do ya'll use for ESP? I've thought about getting a Springfield Mil-Spec in Super putting a decent trigger and a beavertail on it. Or should I go with a 9x19 Springfield Loaded, or a 40 Springfield or Kimber? Any Browning Hi-Power or CZ afficinados out there?

I've had a lot of fun shooting the Hi-Power.......in fact it is my favorite Browning designed firearm after the 1919A4.

Cylinder and Slide makes some quality aftermarket parts for the gun......used guns can be found at reasonable prices.......hi-cap magazines are inexpensive and reliable......

Given the pointability and low muzzle flip inherent in the Hi-Power design I think it can be a very competitive gun in ESP division.

Kyle,

I bought a Springfield Loaded 1911 in 9 mm in January as an ESP gun.  Right out of the box it has run perfectly, the price was right, but..... compared to the Colt 1991A1 in .45, the cycling seems verrrry sluggish.  When all is said and done though, I really like the gun.  If you opt to try one I think you'll be happy.

Kyle, I lost my IDPA rule book awhile ago so I can't give you a definate answer but I can say I've seen S&A magwells on single stack guns at almost every IDPA match I ever shot.  The magwell on my para is a weld on job and the frame was cut to keep the size of the gun the same. I've had people comment on it but was never told it was illegal.  I would think you'd be ok with yours as long as it doesn't extend below the base of a standard magazine.  I don't think the idpa martial artist gamers would find a Awsome Dawson magwell funny.

(Edited by John Thompson at 12:43 am on Sep. 30, 2001)

(Edited by John Thompson at 12:44 am on Sep. 30, 2001)

I shoot a SA 9mm and a .40 Kimber in ESP. I think overall the Kimber is a slightly better gun. The 9mm on the other hand is very cheap to shoot. It is not quite as accurate as the Kimber ( 2" groups @ 25 yds vs. sub 1"), but good enough for IDPA. It is fun to shoot Lim. 10  Minor with it occasionally.

My choices for an IDPA ESP gun would be to either fuss over a Commander in 9mm or Super, or build a Browning P-35.  The only problem I have with the Hi-Power is that the hammer bites me.  Big time.  If I don't have a Novak hammer job done to it, I start bleeding before the first mag is done.

If you can find one, a Commander 9mm or Super will cycle faster, avoiding the "ker-clunk" feel of a gov't size 9mm, or the need to lighten the slide internally.

I wouldn't worry about the accuracy loss of the shorter barrel, IDPA isn't an accuracy game anyway.  You're too busy calculating tactical order and managing your reloads to worry about the sights.

Three of us shot at the Nationals. I use a 1911 in 9x23, one friend shoots a 38 super,and the other shoots a Hi-Power. We argue all the time which is better. The true answer is who ever knows his gun the best. Practice with what you choose. Robbie could kick my butt with a Nambu.

Middlebrooks shoots a Witness(290.00), Wilson shot a super, As did Larry Vickers, and I've seen Scott Warren shoot a 40. At the Blackwater Challenge the guy that camein right behind me was shooting a Glock 17(FLGR).