Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TEXAS MULTIGUN 2012

I don't have a ton of MG gear, and would like to test my carbine for POI for some of the longer range shots. I'm already outside the lead time on some of the Kydex I'd like to have. Kinda hard to get geared up & prepped without COF info. Seems like if some competitors have this info well in advance and others don't, that could offer a substantial advantage. I don't have much chance of placing anyway, mainly in it to have some fun. Anyone have an idea of what may be the max amounts of ammo/mags we may need carry for a stage?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not been to this range yet. What will the parking situation be like (how close to the stages)? Also, what are the rules on 4-wheelers/carts/etc.?

Parking is not close, so anything to assist with hauling your gear (carts, 4-wheelers, golf carts) is extremely recommended.

Ryan

I don't have a ton of MG gear, and would like to test my carbine for POI for some of the longer range shots. I'm already outside the lead time on some of the Kydex I'd like to have. Kinda hard to get geared up & prepped without COF info. Seems like if some competitors have this info well in advance and others don't, that could offer a substantial advantage. I don't have much chance of placing anyway, mainly in it to have some fun. Anyone have an idea of what may be the max amounts of ammo/mags we may need carry for a stage?

As far as I know, no one has the COF, so there should not be an advantage in that regard.

I am waiting for a round count, need to stock up, and ammo seems to be getting harder to find lately.

As far as I know, no one has the COF, so there should not be an advantage in that regard.

I am waiting for a round count, need to stock up, and ammo seems to be getting harder to find lately.

Isn't there a "pre-shoot" open before the match?

There may be an opportunity to sight in the day before the match starts, but that has not been decided yet. To be safe I would try to arrive with everything zero'd.

There will not be an opportunity to zero during the match (should something happen) due to limited time and the # of shooters we have to run through.

Edited by biga9999

Or did you mean the RO shoot the week before? (might have mis-interpreted what you were saying)

I would assume the COF will be release around or shortly after the RO shoot.

I concur that the COF is not known to anyone other than the Match Director (Sheldon) at this point--I believe it he is still developing it. Same goes with squadding--it isn't finalized, thus no publication yet. Be patient, this information will be distributed as soon as it is available.

We'll try to have a bay available to zero your rifles, but that isn't a guarantee. Be prepared to engage rifle targets anywhere from 1 yd to 500 yds.

FYI to new folks this year, one thing we do to keep things moving along according to schedule and was key to the success of the match last year was to have max allowed times for each stage (usually 90 seconds).

Depends on your mag capacity and division. For tac optics, probably less than 40 rounds handgun and 60 rifle per stage, but extras would be good. For instance, reload strategy may suggest dumping a partially full mag, and always have a spare. Shotgun, probably no more than 30 birdshot per stage, but could be less than that. Remember, super high round count per stage would mean more taping and reseting which slows down the match, and we want to keep things moving.

It may look like some have fore knowledge but a lot of us have way more ammo carriers and mags and ammo than any one person should, so we just bring it all and LOOK prepared. Also, shooting the monthly matches at BOTW means we get kindof a preview because the stages get tried in a fashion so there are fewer surprises when the match starts.

Alden, as for stocking up on ammo - buy it now; you know you are going to shoot it anyway. ;)

Lee

Depends on your mag capacity and division. For tac optics, probably less than 40 rounds handgun and 60 rifle per stage, but extras would be good. For instance, reload strategy may suggest dumping a partially full mag, and always have a spare. Shotgun, probably no more than 30 birdshot per stage, but could be less than that. Remember, super high round count per stage would mean more taping and reseting which slows down the match, and we want to keep things moving.

It may look like some have fore knowledge but a lot of us have way more ammo carriers and mags and ammo than any one person should, so we just bring it all and LOOK prepared. Also, shooting the monthly matches at BOTW means we get kindof a preview because the stages get tried in a fashion so there are fewer surprises when the match starts.

Alden, as for stocking up on ammo - buy it now; you know you are going to shoot it anyway. ;)

Lee

Lee, you've shot WW2 division in a monthly match, if I remember correctly. If so (?), do you have any tips you would be willing to share with others that might be shooting in that division for the first time?

I had some Tula .308 that I was going to shoot, bullet attracted a magnet but I cut a bullet in half and there was no steel core. Looks like I am good to go.

Am I hearing this correctly? If the bullet which is bi metal (attracts magnet) AND not containing a steel core is OK to shoot at the State match? (*tested with bolt cutters.

I would really love to shoot my cheap non-AP ammo (.308).

Thanks!

There may be an opportunity to sight in the day before the match starts, but that has not been decided yet. To be safe I would try to arrive with everything zero'd.

There will not be an opportunity to zero during the match (should something happen) due to limited time and the # of shooters we have to run through.

Is there a public range near there so I could check my guns. Me and my friends are flying down and there will be at least a 50 degree difference in temperature and what ever beating the baggage handlers do.

Pat

I had some Tula .308 that I was going to shoot, bullet attracted a magnet but I cut a bullet in half and there was no steel core. Looks like I am good to go.

Am I hearing this correctly? If the bullet which is bi metal (attracts magnet) AND not containing a steel core is OK to shoot at the State match? (*tested with bolt cutters.

I would really love to shoot my cheap non-AP ammo (.308).

Thanks!

Correct. Otherwise, WW2 shooters would not be able to shoot their M2 ball surplus, much of which is copper-wash steel jacketed lead core. But please, no M855 or anything else with SS109 bullets. At a club match, we had a shooter with steel core ammo to shoot from his AK74, and it was not allowed.

Lee, you've shot WW2 division in a monthly match, if I remember correctly. If so (?), do you have any tips you would be willing to share with others that might be shooting in that division for the first time?

Considering my lack of stellar speed, I am not the best to ask. Mick shot WW2 so he might chime in.

Specific to the M1, have a way to carry clips. Not sure about max round count on a stage. If I needed more than 3-4 on a stage, then I used a pocket.

WW2 rifle and handgun targets are neutralized with one round each (one hit anywhere), so except for 8 round reloads, it is pretty much Heavy Metal. My M1 rifles do not have the sights and barrel in a vertical plane, so adjusting from a 100 yd zero to longer ranges requires some windage adjustment, which is not a good idea during the match, so get a good long range zero and know that the 100 yard hits will be close enough. That is always true, but I was surprised at how much difference my M1's have.

Also, we are tweaking the rules to allow 8+1 in the WW2 single stack, in case you were worried.

Is there a public range near there so I could check my guns. Me and my friends are flying down and there will be at least a 50 degree difference in temperature and what ever beating the baggage handlers do.

Pat

There is also a range nearby called Astro shooting range. It would be another option close by.

Forgot about them (usually do not make it that far north)

I could not find a website, but here is some info

Contact Info:

Astro Shooting Range

512-966-6118

300 Hwy 183

Florence, TX. 76527

Edited by biga9999

I probably missed it somewhere along the line, but has there been a schedule announced???

Just getting flights arranged and need to know the finish time on Sunday.

THanks,

Current preliminary (unofficial!) shows things wrapping up with the prize table from 2:30p to 3:40p on Sunday. Add an heavy hour of fudge factor and call it 5p. We'll be shooting from 0730 to sunset on Friday and Saturday and the last four stages on Sunday (again, starting at 0730).

Thanks,

Justin

As long as it is the same as last year, personal vehicles were not allowed in the bays.

Park in the parking lot and carry everything. Carts are a bonus.

Not enough room for everyone to bring cars in.

Edited by biga9999