Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

homemade grip lotion

You might try bowling allies or golf shops, I've found a variety of chalk bags, rosin bags and grip lotions at both. If you want tacky they have rosin spray at sporting good stores for base ball bats, and if you really want to be the King of Cheap wrap elec. tape sticky side out on your grip you can get it the level of adhesion you want by gripping with dusty or powdered hands.

My kids hands are always sticky, combo of syrup, dirt, dog, chalk, ice cream and probably a few nose nuggets...essentially free.

Seriously, removing the oils and drying out the skin works pretty well. When I played baseball, our coach had a squirt bottle of rubbing alcohol he would squirt on our hands and make us rub them together and wipe dry before going up to bat. Worked wonders. I liked it better than Pine tar or rosin.

I'm gonna have to try that Mark. If it works, then cheap is the word ...... rubbing alcohol is like $0.39 at most drug stores.

:cheers:

Hello: How about chalk dust,rubbing alcohol and some maple syrup? That should work and be sticky also. I used to use Mitchem roll-on on the bottom of my feet when I use to downhill ski race. It kept my feet from sweating and also kept them dry all day. I use Pro Grip now but add rubbing alcohol to make it last a long time. I have been using the same bottle for 2 years now. I put some on my hands then grab the grip to get some on there also. Thanks, Eric

Please buy a product marketed for strippers. It would make your squads job of ribbing SOOO much easier :ph34r:

After seeing the hat he wears, I didn't think it could get any easier to make fun of him.....but yes...stripper products just might do the trick. :roflol:

DSC03110-1.jpg

Climbers chalk in blocks is $1.50 - $2.00 in climbing shops or gyms.

Its a bit more in powder or crunchy form.

Some of the fancier chalk has a drying agent added. Companies (such as Metolius)

like to keep the ingredient secret...but its talc and/or aluminum oxide and/or silica crystals.

I remember a couple of liquid chalk products from my days in the climbing business; Magic Chalk and Liquid Chalk.

Both were alcohol with chalk powder mixed in. There was also a scam product that you were supposed to spray on before using chalk...it was just rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, geez.

I also add a little rubbing alcohol to my Pro Grip to stretch the milage;-)

which rubbing alcohol? i tried one type but it just ran it into nothing lol. i think it was the 70% or something.

70% is usually isopropanol, or IPA, with the remainder water, which is what you are trying to get rid of along with oils. 70% hardly works at all. You want something at least 95%, which is usually ethanol. Either one will work fine, as long as it is 95% or more alcohol. They are both referred to generically as "rubbing alcohol" even though there is a difference.

Edited by MarkCO

which rubbing alcohol? i tried one type but it just ran it into nothing lol. i think it was the 70% or something.

70% is usually isopropanol, or IPA, with the remainder water, which is what you are trying to get rid of along with oils. 70% hardly works at all. You want something at least 95%, which is usually ethanol. Either one will work fine, as long as it is 95% or more alcohol. They are both referred to generically as "rubbing alcohol" even though there is a difference.

thanks... i think that's what happened to my bottle when it got low. comes out like water. i tried airing it out but that made it worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at 8.50 a bottle I think its worth it since your gonna make it last longer with rubbing alcohol. Here is a link to a similar product for tennis players at a lower price.

Chuck over at shooters connection offer BE members discounts so check with him for that if you haven't already.

http://www.holabirdsports.com/m/Miscellaneous/Grip-Enhancement/Prince/p1/Prince-Grip-Plus/060084.htm?utm_source=Google_Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Prince%20Grip%20Plus&utm_campaign=Google_Base&gclid=CIa30dKFqKkCFcHr7QodgG2dLg

• 8 years later...
On 5/29/2011 at 11:05 PM, burningsquirrels said:

:roflol:

i guess i'm too dang cheap lmao. cheapest i see is $60 shipped for a ten pack. would like to try and make some myself, the recipe seems simple enough. i've gotten close, but no cigar yet.

20 bucks for a big bottle of liquid grip at a weight lifting supply place.

On 5/30/2011 at 10:09 AM, Chris Keen said:

Ever watch Max Michel or Chris Tilley getting ready? They will pickup a handful of dirt, rub it around in their hands, and shoot like the wind.

Dirt's pretty cheap .... dirt cheap, in fact! Might give it a try. :)

Other than that, just pony up the $8 and pay the man. :cheers:

Travis Tomasie does the same thing. But I did see him you grip stuff already. But his grip is also has the 30 grit media glued to it.

• 1 year later...

I bought this one pound bag of pine resin to try for about $15. It's little crystals. It works great in the cold but does get a little sticky when it's hot out.

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Living-1LB-Powdered-Beeswax/dp/B0747TRC9L/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=pine+resin&qid=1615551886&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-9