Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Western, NC?

Hey everyone! Its been ages since I've been active on here, and it seems like just a little while ago that I was planning my last move. Anyway, my family and I are moving down to Boone, NC. in about 3 weeks. I'm just curious to find out where the closest local matches are, what ranges people use, and who else is in the area. I'd appreciate any info you've got. Particular areas of interest are USPSA and 3-gun, though I'd take IDPA if its the only game in town.

Thanks!

Chris

Hey everyone! Its been ages since I've been active on here, and it seems like just a little while ago that I was planning my last move. Anyway, my family and I are moving down to Boone, NC. in about 3 weeks. I'm just curious to find out where the closest local matches are, what ranges people use, and who else is in the area. I'd appreciate any info you've got. Particular areas of interest are USPSA and 3-gun, though I'd take IDPA if its the only game in town.

Thanks!

Chris

I am speaking to some potential employers in Morganton. I could be living there as soon as July. Looking around I also found IDPA in Wilksboro. I have not found much for ranges close by to practice. On another subject anyone familiar with the places to mountain bike close to Morganton? Pisgah NF? Wilson creek area?

http://www.foothillsidpa.com/index.htm

Rich

I am speaking to some potential employers in Morganton. I could be living there as soon as July. Looking around I also found IDPA in Wilksboro. I have not found much for ranges close by to practice. On another subject anyone familiar with the places to mountain bike close to Morganton? Pisgah NF? Wilson creek area?

http://www.foothillsidpa.com/index.htm

Rich

Rich,

Im not familiar with Morganton, but I do know there is tons of mountain biking around Boone. One of the colleges has a very competitive mountain biking group/team. I'm into unicycling and will be in a similar boat looking for mountain unicycle (muni) appropriate trails. Your best bet would be to call an independent bike shop and ask where to look. I'll have a little harder time, as I'd like to find others that muni to ride with.

Anyway, thanks for the IDPA info and good luck in the job hunt!

Chris

thats a pretty rural area with lots of terrain and not a lot of ordinances, wouldnt be hard to buy/rent a place where you have your own private practice facility,

From looking at ncsection.org and tnsection.org, it looks like Asheville, Statesville, and Tac2 are my 3 closest matches in that order. I'm excited to see some organized 3gun at Tac2 within about 2hrs from me. Anyone familiar with them?

Thanks!

Chris

I'm about sixty miles from Boone over in Tennessee. USPSA at Tac2 on the first Saturday of the month. IDPA on the 2nd Sat. Three gun on the 3rd. Last month he began Steel Challenge (beginning this month it will be the Sunday following IDPA). For IDPA there is Kettlefoot in Bristol VA on the forth Saturday and in Boone at Watauga Gun Club on the 3rd Saturday. If I was able I could shoot somewhere every weekend but I have to work two of those every month. The farthest I have had to drive is Oak Ridge (120 miles one way). They have a lot of stuff going on down there.

• 8 months later...

Update:

I've been in Boone, NC for about 7 months now and today is the first time I've been back on the forums in ages. I've joined the local gun club where they reportedly do some IDPA. I've only managed to get out and shoot once since the move, but I'm hopeful for the spring. I have a concealed carry class this weekend to get that process started. Anything new going on in the Western end of NC or Eastern TN for USPA or 3-gun?

Thanks!

Chris

• 1 month later...

I decided to start looking at the schedules of surrounding matches. On NCsection.org, they list Asheville, PHA, Rowan, and Statesville as the closest matchest to Boone. Now, can anyone explain to my why on God's green earth 3 of the 4 have their matches on the 2nd Saturday of the month? Two look to be almost next to one another on the map even! Aren't they shooting themselves in the foot with regard to attendance?

Meanwhile, Tac2 is on the 1st Saturday for USPSA and 3rd Saturday for 3 gun.

Talking about the 2nd Saturday, Rowan Wildlife Range was and has been using the 2nd Saturday for many years for USPSA matches. PHA just started conducting matches and they chose the same weekend for some reason. Don't know why, but they did... Rowan has a good bunch of guys shooting there, open invitation for you to attend.

• 3 weeks later...