Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 recoil spring system

HuntingPaper

Hello,

I got a G35 Gen4 and I've been doing some mods: KKM barrel, ZEV competition spring set, ZEV titanium safety, ZEV race connector, ZEV brass magwell, Dawson Precision .100 Fiber Optic front sight and Dawson Precision black serrated adjustable rear. I was wondering if it will be worth it to change the recoil spring system for a tungsten guide rod and a 14 lbs spring (or 15). I'm shooting major with MG JHP head, n320 and CCI primers and I've shot 500 of those reloads on it with 0 problems.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.

This picture is before I got the magwell, I installed today and liked the feel of it.

post-27694-064691900 1306554217_thumb.jp

I've been shooting a Gen4 35 for a while now and have tried different springs. Believe it or not, I preferred the stock spring over tungsten rods and 13-15 lb springs. The gun felt softer and flatter. I was actually quite surprised, I figured that the conventional springs would be better, but it didn't seem like it.

I am currently using a 13LB spring on a LW guide rod in my LW slide. Runs pretty good. Have about 1,500RDS through it so far without any hiccups...

BTW, nice gun! I have a G17 that looks just like it!

Edited by Blcksmk

I've been shooting a Gen4 35 for a while now and have tried different springs. Believe it or not, I preferred the stock spring over tungsten rods and 13-15 lb springs. The gun felt softer and flatter. I was actually quite surprised, I figured that the conventional springs would be better, but it didn't seem like it.

Thank you, this is very helpful. I've been shooting mine and I like it a lot but I was wondering if it will get even better with the rod and light spring.

Thank you, this is very helpful. I've been shooting mine and I like it a lot but I was wondering if it will get even better with the rod and light spring.

Remember, the Gen4's use a dual-rate recoil assembly. They are not interchangeable with the Gen3's. I've been running a Gen4 35 since late December with the oem recoil assembly. Mine runs like an open sore.

Remember, the Gen4's use a dual-rate recoil assembly. They are not interchangeable with the Gen3's. I've been running a Gen4 35 since late December with the oem recoil assembly. Mine runs like an open sore.

Check www.glockworx.com the have an adaptor to use rods and springs.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not give the stock setup time, maybe a a year?

Then change one thing at a time, otherwise you will not have a baseline to compare and track your changes to see if they made a difference

I shot mine for a year and decided on changing out just the front sight and put a alum mag well on it to help with reloads

everything else is stock and I am slowing improving. no mods for me just more ammo and trigger time IMO

I have a Gen3 G35 with a Jager full length steel uncaptured guide rod and Wolff 14lb recoil spring. I'm super happy with this setup in combination with minor .40 loads the recoil is very low.

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys I may be a wuss but even my shooting buddies think my 3rd G35 beats the hand up with major 40 and horrible muzzle flip and crappy sight tracking.... Steel guide rod and 15lb ismi spring. Any tips?

Edited by dskinsler83

Well, I did it. I order the tugsten guide rod and a 15# ISMI spring along with the adaptor for my G35 Gen4. It does make a noticeable difference with the stock spring system and I like it a lot. My glock with the brass magwell and tugsten rod have more of the feel of a all steel gun like a 1911 and the balance is very nice. Now I have to do my homework and practice, practice, practice...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anthony and anyone else who's shot Minor loads on a G35 Gen 4,

My friend and I just shot 300 rounds of 130 PF Atlanta Arms through my G35 Gen 4 today at a steel match... and my gun kept jamming.

I'm guessing the problem is with the factory spring: the Minor loads we shot today just aren't strong enough to rack the slide back enough against the spring. So, I'm wondering:

1) What kind of spring should I get?

2) Since the G35 Gen 4 has a dual recoil spring assembly, I'm not exactly sure what else I need to get for it and/or if I need to get a specific lower-strength dual-spring "kit" (sorry for sounding stupid -- I just got my Glock last month).

3) Any suggestions from which website I could buy whatever spring / spring-kit I need.

Thanks!

I have a Gen3 G35 with a Jager full length steel uncaptured guide rod and Wolff 14lb recoil spring. I'm super happy with this setup in combination with minor .40 loads the recoil is very low.

+1 stock is best, I just changed the barrel so I can shoot cheap lead bullet. I believe trigger is the best modification you can perform.

My friend and I just shot 300 rounds of 130 PF Atlanta Arms through my G35 Gen 4 today at a steel match... and my gun kept jamming.

I'm guessing the problem is with the factory spring: the Minor loads we shot today just aren't strong enough to rack the slide back enough against the spring. So, I'm wondering:

2) Since the G35 Gen 4 has a dual recoil spring assembly, I'm not exactly sure what else I need to get for it and/or if I need to get a specific lower-strength dual-spring "kit" (sorry for sounding stupid -- I just got my Glock last month).

3) Any suggestions from which website I could buy whatever spring / spring-kit I need.

Thanks!

I shoot minor .40 that I load myself, right around 130pf 180 grn BBI's I use the stock dual spring and I don't have any issues. My gun has several thousand rounds through it but I have shot a lot od the same loads since it was brand new. I recently started shooting Major loads through it without changing anything.

Hello,

I got a G35 Gen4 and I've been doing some mods: KKM barrel, ZEV competition spring set, ZEV titanium safety, ZEV race connector, ZEV brass magwell, Dawson Precision .100 Fiber Optic front sight and Dawson Precision black serrated adjustable rear. I was wondering if it will be worth it to change the recoil spring system for a tungsten guide rod and a 14 lbs spring (or 15). I'm shooting major with MG JHP head, n320 and CCI primers and I've shot 500 of those reloads on it with 0 problems.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.

This picture is before I got the magwell, I installed today and liked the feel of it.

post-27694-064691900 1306554217_thumb.jp

How do you like the Zev kit that you are running? Do you happen to know the weight of the trigger pull?

Thanks for the great post!

• 2 months later...

I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe that a tungsten guide rod is really worth the money. But I do prefer a lighter spring than stock. You can get a full length guide rod (which is heavier than stock but a lot cheaper than Tungsten) with a Wolff 14# spring. This seems to be a fairly good weight. I think they also have a 12# Wolff spring but that might be a bit underpowered for some.

• 1 month later...

i have recently found that my slide was hitting the frame harder than i would like so i started increasing the spring rate on both my 34 and 35. the 34 has a 15# wolfe and the 35 has a 20# (for major) -- for minor i will reduce it to a 15# prob. i would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!

With your problem I would be looking hard at a Jager guide rod and an ISMI 13-pound recoil spring.

i really dont mean to highjack this topic

i am using 4.6 wst under 185 precision moly,or 170 prec moly and 4.8-5.0 wst at 1.135 for pf's around 170-173. Now i do kinda have a new grip that really locks the pistol up. the sight does not move much and tracks wery well for me. my times are good and accurracy is better. any input would be helpful. are strong recoil springs not a good thing?

I'm running a G35 with Major reloads: Zero 180gr heads over 5.3gr's UNIQUE, winchester (or CCI or Federal) primers, and OAL of 1.130"

I run a tungsten guide rod with a 14# guide rod and it does very well with the Major loads. Slide cycles quickly, sights track fine, and the perceived recoil appears less (then again, recoil doesn't really bother me much..).

If you go with a heavy guide rod, look into either the SEATTLE SLUG or a heavy MAGWELL to help balance the pistol. Some folks put heavier guide rods in and then find the front dips a bit for them...

Z-

well now i am going back down on the recoil spring rate. arredondo base pads coming and installing a heavy magwell. i dont know why but i love the feel with the magwell on. i have a steel extended guide rod but i am looking into tungsten.

the search continues