Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oily "clean" brass

bamf_shadow

After I tumble my brass with some polish I notice that there is some sort of residue in them. If I put some powder in the case then try to dump it out there is always a small amount stuck inside on the walls. I use carbide dies so I don't lube my brass, so how should I get rid of the polish residue?

Don't assume that it is polish residue..... the sticking of powder inside a case probably has more to do with friction than anything.... a flake powder with lots of surface area and relativly low mass might "stick" when a piece of stick powder, with low surface area and more mass, will not...... I'm not sure but static electricity may play a role as well.

The flake powders are notorious for sticking to whatever.

if it is in the case, fire away, it will all get burned up. If you are using a polish meant for the reloading industry, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I only get residue when I:

1. Add the polish after adding the brass. You should add the polish to the media, then tumble that for 10 minutes to distribute the polish.

2. Add too much polish to media. You dont need to add polish to each batch, just when it doesnt come out as shiny as it was.

3. Media is worn out... it will get really dark, especially if you are adding a lot of polish to each batch.

How many batches have you run through your current media? Does it do this with fresh media?

Good find. Run the same brass through several times and you should be good to go. Also try a very small amount of mineral spirits. It will spread out the polish better and reduce dust. ;)