Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steve Anderson's Dry Fire Drills

benos

Phara,

I don't know what a true "about face" is... but the turn I use may be similar. You can see a video of it here

It's the third video down right now, of the el prez. (BTW, the top vid should be working soon)

I have tried a million ways of turning and drawing, and this seems to work best for me.

The turn and draw is just like any other skill, it needs to be evaluated on the clock to test different techniques. THE KEY, however, is to snap the head hard and see the first target as soon as humanly possible. Everything else flows from there.

Good luck!

SA

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings, Steve & Phara.

This is my first post, after lurking for a while. I'm a newbie. After about 6 months of shooting, I recently recieved my 'D' classification in Limited 10.

Steve, I received your Dry Fire book a few days ago and have not been able to put it down. First I read it from cover to cover, and then I created an indoor dry fire "range," using scaled-down, miniture IPSC and paper plate targets, since I have only 10 feet of space to work with. :angry: In the past I did some limited dry fire practice, but I was not approaching it correctly, and not doing enough of it. Your book spells out everything that a beginner needs to know!! I've learned more from your book in the last 4 days, than in the last 6 months on my own. I've been dry firing the drills from the book very slowly for now without a timer.

I also ordered a Club Timer from BE, and I'm very eager to get his Beyond Fundamentals as part of the special deal.

Phara, I saw Steve's turn/spin technique on the video, and it's definitely not an about face! I know, since I'm retired Air Force. BTW, Steve, your Bill Drill on the video sounds like FULL AUTO!!! Waay Kool. :D

Steve, thanx for a GREAT book and fast response!

Flashooter

Flashooter,

Yeah I see what you mean. If it wasn't for the video I would have been trying the turn completly wrong!

With Steve's book it sounds like you now have a roadmap to climb up the ranks!

Steve, thanks for hosting the video clip. Your video clips are a great way to illustrate what is written in the book!

Paul

Your video clips are a great way to illustrate what is written in the book!

Steve,

speaking of which, when do we get the DVD to accompany the book so we can be inspired to do it right ;)

Kevin

On some of the more complicated Drills like

Shoot 6 Reload Shoot 6

What is the difference between you guys Dry times and your "RL" Times?

Im running almost 2 seconds slower on actual shooting times.

On the plus side I am dropping about as many points as I call when I dryfire.

So I am calling my shots better!

You know being honest and all I still manage to drop points when I dryfire...

Maybe I should start a new thread on this?

Larry P

Flashooter,

I'm so pleased that you are making progress, it means a great deal to me. Please keep me informed of your progress!

KDJ,

I have thought about a DVD, and that may be forthcoming. I really think Matt Burkett does a superb job with the videos/dvds and 'm not sure if I can match that quality. We'll see!

Phara,

I'm glad you got the turn figured out, it's easier to see than to explain in words...and I cannot over-emphasize the importance of the head snap. I used to obsess over the feet, but once I got a good head snap it all just kinda happened!

BTW, I'm putting together a reviews page on the site and would love to post some reviews from anyone who has found the book helpful. Please send them to: steve@andersonshooting.com

Thanks again!

SA

• 1 month later...

Wow, with raving reviews like this, I have to have a copy. I just ordered one from your site. Actually, I got that $35.00 combo deal. Can't wait to see it!

I have been thinking lately of getting a timer, so I guess I'll have to get one to do these drills. that's fine, I wanted one anyhow. I already have Brian's book (and Matt's too) so I guess the special is not a big deal. The only reason I have not bought one yet is because I have not gotton to research it.

This is getting to be one expensive sport! Earlier today I ordered a gun belt and some mag holders from High Noon. I already have a slide guard holster. After the book and timer, I'll be well equipped. I guess that leaves the rest up to me!

Jim

Steve I've had your book for awhile and admit I haven't used it as much as I should. But the dryfire I have done has been helpful.

Anyways on the turn for el prez, I noticed a friend of mine do this, when standing waiting for the beep he turns his head as far right as he can, basically so the chin rests as close to the shoulder as possible. I tried it one a stage (turn and draw, not el prez) and it seemed to make it easier/quicker to see the first target. So have you tried this, is it legal?

SITE UPDATES!

My site, andersonshooting.com has been updated with video from 8 actual drills from the book! Check 'em out...they were shot in the luxurious andersonshooting.com basement-annex-dry fire-galleria.

Click on "drill videos" on the home page or just click here.

Also, I now carry the Lanny Bassham Mental Management for Shooting Sports audio seminar on CD and Cassette. They are just the ticket for long road trips to matches. Read more here.

SA

Hi Steve,

The book arrived Friday, thnaks! Looks like great stuff. I have already tried a few drills, but I need to get some targets and set up a dry fire range in my basement. Overall, looks like great stuff. I'll let you know how I make out.

Cheers!

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Site update!

My website, Andersonshooting.com has been updated to include a free download of my Stage Analysis and Ownership Plan. It is a very simple tool I created to help me shoot "memory stages," but it helps me with every aspect of a stage, from engagement order to reloads.

If you've ever forgotten a reload, or gone blank in the middle of a stage, this will probably help.

Check it out here.

Steve

I am pleased to announce that Anderson shooting.com is the first US distributor of Perfect Practice by Saul Kirsch.

It is available for $30, which includes Priority mail shipping.

Click here, then click on Perfect Practice.

You do NOT need a paypal account, just click on "no paypal account" at the checkout screen for a regular credit card checkout.

I just received the books today, and it looks incredibly detailed and full of great drills and info. I will post a more detailed review after I read the entire book.

Thanks,

SA

• 2 months later...

Steve,

if I havn't told you...Awesome book brother! Still my favorite read and YES folks it does work if you commit.

Also, you may be the dry-fire King but Megan M. has got to be the dry-fire Queen.

Girl keeps me up at night with those damn reloads too! An every night ritual. Watch out!

See you at Buckeye '05

Ron F.

Ron,

Megan will be beating both of us soon, I fear. I have never seen anyone shoot so many alphas... :)

Can I claim a little credit in your defeat of Eric G. at the shoot-offs? Maybe for just letting you beat me at the buckeye?

See ya,

SA

ahhh...yeah...me too. :lol: