Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 v 1050s

I've got a 650 and only recently added the case feed. Its amazing what a difference that made to the speed at which I can make ammo.

So now I'm wondering, what is it about the Super 1050 that allows it to go faster than the 650? I only produce handgun ammo, if that makes a difference.

Also, it looks like they've changed the name from RL 1050 to "Super" What improvement did Dillon make to warrant the name change?

Thanks.

-WM

...Also, it looks like they've changed the name from RL 1050 to "Super" What improvement did Dillon make to warrant the name change?

Thanks.

-WM

They supersized it. :P

The RL has a shorter stroke that will handle .223 but not longer rifle rounds like .30 06

The 1050 and super 1050 prime on the down stroke and have a swagger.

Would that be a John Wayne Swagger, or a Charley Sheen Swagger?

B)

Seriously, what makes the 1050 so much faster that you can go from 300 or 400 rounds an hour to 1000?

I can't see much difference in the photos, and am just curious about what makes it work.

-WM

are you sure you aren't looking at the 550 output rate?

my only other guess is that the numbers for the 650 are without the casefeeder.

I had a 550 and the 300 to 400 rounds an hour range is what I used to get on it.

I timed a guy for one minute on his casefeeder equiped 650. if he could keep it fed with primers, cases, and bullets, averaging that rate per minute over the course of an hour, it would have produced 1, 200 rounds.

you probably already know this but military brass has crimped in primers. the 1050 has a rod that comes up from the bottom and another that comes down inside the case which "sway-gezzes" the crimp out of the case head.

no other progressive press that I know of has that feature.

The 1050 and super 1050 prime on the down stroke and have a swagger.

Would that be a John Wayne Swagger, or a Charley Sheen Swagger?...

-WM

It's a Bob Lee Swagger :ph34r:

Edited by wide45

I had a 550 and the 300 to 400 rounds an hour range is what I used to get on it.

I timed a guy for one minute on his casefeeder equiped 650. if he could keep it fed with primers, cases, and bullets, averaging that rate per minute over the course of an hour, it would have produced 1, 200 rounds.

you probably already know this but military brass has crimped in primers. the 1050 has a rod that comes up from the bottom and another that comes down inside the case which "sway-gezzes" the crimp out of the case head.

Hah! You're right. The lit says 500 to 800. With out a case feeder, I was getting about 200 an hour (including setting up the primers, getting the bullets, & filling the powder. I haven't had my feeder long enough to figure out my count now.

Since I stay away from rifle rounds and military cases, it sounds like I've still got the perfect machine for me.

I've got a friend who complains that some of the once-fired .45 brass he has been using comes with small pistol primer instead of large. I told him I think he is getting military cases in there that need to be swayged (sp?), but he won't believe me. He still thinks that some companies are using the wrong primers and gluing a ring in place to hold the smaller primer in place.

Of course, I haven't seen the brass. Could be he's right ... ???

Thanks folks.

-WM

there are 45 small primer cases, many are blaser but i have seen some R&P and WIN brass with small primer

Hah! You're right. The lit says 500 to 800. With out a case feeder, I was getting about 200 an hour (including setting up the primers, getting the bullets, & filling the powder. I haven't had my feeder long enough to figure out my count now.

Since I stay away from rifle rounds and military cases, it sounds like I've still got the perfect machine for me.

I've got a friend who complains that some of the once-fired .45 brass he has been using comes with small pistol primer instead of large. I told him I think he is getting military cases in there that need to be swayged (sp?), but he won't believe me. He still thinks that some companies are using the wrong primers and gluing a ring in place to hold the smaller primer in place.

Thanks folks.

-WM

He is right (or at least he could be). There is .45 brass that I believe is made for "clean" or "non-toxic" loads that uses small primers. I seem to find a lot of Winchester NT and it has small primers.

Edited by bdpaz