Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 clip holding case and deprime sta 1 hassle

have had my 550 2 weeks- it is easy to use and although I go slow I am learning alot. I have a hassle in station 1 due to the paperclip like "guide" that aligns the case for depriming & repriming-I adjust it and after 10-15 rds it moves a tiny bit and that causes the damn case to just move a bit which stops my smooth seating of primer, this is happening on small and large pistol priming on all cals, 380,9, 38 spl and 45 acp.I am using cci primers BTW.

I adjusted that chinsy clip to the spec of a bizz card but it isn't a stable design, it moves and is finicky, other then this I love the 550- any ideas would be much appreciated.Also can I adjust the shell plate so it clears the primer station?..it taps it sometimes and stops the shellplate from turning. thank you!!!!!!

I had the same problem with the paperclip dingus. If it's set too far to the left and low, it grabs between the shellplate and the brass and hangs up. Move the piece next to the brass back and bend it up slightly. Set too low and it acts as a break. It should be above the base of the brass. It acts as the locator button for station one. You should be good. Also check that the primer cup is at the right height. It can also drag and hold up the shell plate from moving or not seat a primer well which can do the same thing. :cheers:

Edited by Youngeyes

Here is a pic of the way I have mine set, has not changed for years and works as is with all calibers. The tip fits into the deepest grove of the case. I never have problems with it.

Leonard

post-17026-013446400 1306026614_thumb.jp

+1 on the bluenite post. When you have it right, it flows like water. My Dillons are awesome, but all took adjustment and learning. If the clip is low, it does drag. That moves it, making for frustration. As far as the shellplate and primer seater...... work on learning the sweet spot in the handle position. When you have pushed the handle all the way forward to seat, the ram for the primer is sticking up through the shellplate...... returning the handle to the neutral position clears the ram from the shell plate. If you try to turn with the handle slightly out of postion, the ram is striking the underside of the shellplate. To see it in action, leave the station empty and push the handle all the way forward. You will see the ram that seats the primer..... GENTLY push the shellplate as you pull the handle back to neutral. You will see the ram moving out of the way and see it as it reaches the right point and clears the shellplate. Good luck and enjoy your press!

I just loaded 100 rounds and noticed that I do something unconsciously that may help,

When I insert a case and it hits the back of the shell holder I spin it with my finger tips.

I didn’t even know I did that till a few minutes ago.

Leonard

I've loaded over 100,000 rounds on a Dillon RL550 and I've never had to readjust the little clip. Its purpose is to slip out of the way so you can insert a new case, and then merely retain the case once the round is inserted, it isn't really something that's hard to adjust or need a lot of fussing with.

Thank you all for the advice, especially the pic from Blueknight- I will fiddle w/ it some more and will get it dialed in.It may also be my speed while bring the case up into depriming station, too fast and the case wobbles a tiny bit causing it to move??... My wife is already calling the 550 "the blue bitch" cause I am down in my shop loading and at my club/range shooting 300% more then ever before- gotta love it!!!!!!

thanks again.

I called Dillon regarding the clip to which you were referring and was advised to remove it. YMMV

+1

Toss it; you do not need it and it slows things down even after you get it just right. Toss it and you will never look back. ;)