Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety question regarding a new 3-gun cart

I picked up a wagon (think oversized radio flyer with inflatable tires) at tractor supply, to function as a 3-gun cart.

Would long guns with chamber flags in place be considered unsafe if they were stored horizontally in the cart? I have the option of bagging them horizontally, storing them horizontally in a wooden or ATV rack, or fabricating a vertical rack.

By the time you put your hand gun bag in the cart and all the other gear . you can end up with the muz pointing down at an angle . What we did with my cart was keep the rifle /.shotgun slips and "Bag" the guns to go on the cart with the muz down.

The big problem you will see with the cart is the tires will go flat from all the hitch-hiking gear it accumulates from 'friends'

As long as the gun is bagged it is always OK. I have seen matches that say they prefer the guns to be mounted vertically but I have never seen one say your not OK with a chamber flag inserted and it horizontal.

Given your going to have dust or some chance of rain, IMO go with the guns in bags and worry not.

I bought a red wagon from Lowes a while back, and I used ATV handle bar mounts on top of the side tubes. The long guns were mounted horizontal. I always used chamber flags and never had anyone at a match tell me to change it up. There was enough room to put a couple pistol and ammo bags down the center, and then a buddy would slide his bagged long guns down the sides beside the pistol bags. Two people could use one wagon and it would haul everything pretty good. The only bad part is you just about have to have a truck or suburban or something to haul it around. Now if I'm going to a match by myself, I use a 5.11 double rifle case and a pistol bag, but I don't mind breaking out the wagon if I have a friend who is going and we are going to team up. It can even get competitive. Who ever looses the stage pulls the wagon to the next stage!

I had a wagon and now use a baby stroller. Because i got tried of everbody use me as there mule to pull there shit.

If need be I will throw in a few empty ammo cans so there isn't any extra room. ;)