Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Consistency and Virtue

Tangram

Despair.com, a favorite web site, was home to this saying, Consistency - It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.

...a reason for not pulverizing clay targets. The idea of repeatedly doing what does not bring the results hints screw-up. To improve my self image I am experimenting.

When setting up in the sporting clays box I now move my gun's barrel back from the expected break point back to my hold point. Mike Yardley's described this method in a video called Positive Shooting.

I modify my hold points from his suggested one, where the clay is not a blur, to one that suits the situation. In other words the hold point is not necessarily where I first see the target clearly. I add a step. I always make sure my eyes know where to look for the second target. What I am attempting to say is the method gets modified to suit the circumstances.

One part of his strategy I am using is the wind back with the mounted gun to my hold point. Check my head position, cheek pressure really, feel the flow, .... Wind back is time on task, a settling in. It sets up low gun or mounted shooting.

I'm putting together a new preshot routine. One way to skin the cat with apologies to all vegans.

Nice vid....Clay shooting is a form sport, starting with the fit and proper mount. If your gun when mounted does not shoot were you are looking you might as well go fishing. :) Learn the basics and you will be on the yellow brick road. Your mount must be a consistent movement and to do this I practice mounting with a flashlight in the barrel to a point on the wall. I must have done this 50 thousand times. Getting your mount and gun fit down is the first steps. Get a lesson or two. Practice practice practice but without bad habits, lessons will help here....It take a while but you will learn to plan your breaks, stick to your plan, focus and even focus harder on the leading edge of the bird and before you know it you will be shooting subconsciously. Just like when you swing a bat, racket and golf club, you are always looking at the object you are trying to hit. If you see the barrel when you are supposed to be looking at the bird you will miss.

I am surprised by myself and others who persist in doing the same thing when it is not working well. Right now I believe the part of my game that needs development is mental. Finding a way of consistently tipping my focus to seeing and pushing the rational out of my movement toward the target. Lots of time for preplanning before the shot. The actual shot happens on a different level.

I wrote of finding the way. Remembering the way is also an apt description. At one point I had gotten to a level that I could shot an occasional 25 out of 25 on a simple five stand set-up. Had some health problems and was happy just to get to the station. Now I am recovering rapidly an looking to be able to shot a 25 from time to time. I'm told that sporting targets have gotten tougher since the last time I shot in the match. I am working on getting ready for them

I am working on rebuilding my consistency with the easy ones. The ones I can/need to hit time after time.

Sometimes I think out loud. This is a write out loud kind of post.

Good posts.

I am surprised by myself and others who persist in doing the same thing when it is not working well

I'm fairly "calm", but the above will really anger me as I've done "that", improper moves/technique, several times even in the same round, same "bird" with the same result...missed target(s) and mental explosion. :wacko:

I have to "step back" and "think", practice it the right way no matter what the initial result.

Most shooters will agree that good shooting glasses are a must. Having been hit by broken clays I know they are indispensable.

The theme I'd like to read more about is discovering "error" and working with it. One error of mine revolves around the loss of focus on the target. Not complicated just keep my eye on the target- not the gap between barrel and clay or that bead out on the end. I snatched some of Yardley's move the barrel from break to hold points. This interval of time and seeing helps me to focus on my focus. It can become almost a moving meditation.

Matt Dryke has told me on more than one occasion about my dancing barrel caused be my slips in focus. Repeated sin (missing the mark). Yes I do hit more targets now but .... The routine above seems to help me stay on track

A second example error happens out on a sporting clays course. It is a bit of an intellectual error - not figuring out exactly where my hold point is. To fix some missed targets the hold point needs to be moved unless I'd like to repeat the miss. Using Yardley's Moving the barrel from the break point helps me choose and remember my hold point. Then I can more easily hit the targets.

I am working on consistency. Working on how to set the change in motion so it becomes part of event.

Done this? Working on?

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing with breaking more targets plans

Been writing down area of focus for before the shooting session. After I shoot I jot down a few comments.

6/17

1. Play with swing through. - hold points

2. Eye on target look look

3. Left hand if opportunity

Worked on 1 & 2. Matt said I looked smooth. Broke targets. Felt where the barrel was on many occasions. My missed were good misses according to Matt.

6/18

Eyes out think about hold points.

A couple rounds on the Podium the first shaky. The second round was a 20+ of 25 I had my head/cheek into the gun tight while I looked out and focused on the target consistently. Since I don't know if I shot a 21, 22, I am wondering if I made a score sheet for the podium if it would yield some useful info.

Podium Practice Round

Numbers are trap machines

& for report pairs

+ for true pairs

1 Left to Right Crosser

2 Trap like targets from under foot (moving around)

3 Quartering away

4 Right to left crosser

5 Long incomer

I made up a score sheet

1&1 2&2 3&3 4&4 9&9 1&2 2&3 3&4 4&9 2+9 1+2 2+3 9

Shoot 6 rounds and tabulate. Look for patterns I have missed.

• 2 weeks later...

7/5/11

My shooting plan for today.

1. Visualize
  2. Eyes firmly out. Head down.
  3. Follow through

Check and adjust rib view.

Pick spot to hold gun - find a reference point beyond so I can hold there for each shot.

My main focus was number one. I want to incorporate visualization into my preshot routine. Visualization has always seemed interesting but it has never consistently made it into my routine. However, I do stuff that I write down. So the fifteen or so practice sessions this month that will be a priority. 2 and 3 are always on the list written or not.

I have decided to adjust my comb. This is a rare event but I want to have a look see. That is what the rib view comment is about.

This session I did not work on the reference point. I had enough to do. But in working for consistency that needs to be on the list for sporting clays shooting.

A big step forward I forgot my canes at home and moved around the range without them. Not exactly graceful but I did not fall down. Yea!

Recently, I have shot a few 23/25 on my home range. This is a move in the "right" direction. So my plan appears to be working. It will be awhile before I can walk a sporting clays course unassisted but my body is recovering from surgery.

I almost forgot I do a written evaluation of my performance after I shoot. That feels useful; I will continue to do it.

My plan and reflection for 7/7. I read through my list a couple times and just after I gear up. I usually focus consciously on one or two of the items as part of my preshot routine. Trying to move most of this from remember to do it to part of my regular routine. Visualize = see the clay break I am going for consistency... every time. I shoot five stand and sporting targets.

Actions Today:

Visualize

Eyes firmly out. Head down.

Follow through

Pick spot to hold gun - find a reference point beyond so I can hold there for each shot.

Why: 1/4"=40"@40 yards - Small errors big miss

Reflection:

Overall sound

Looked at hold points

Visualized occasionally - worked well or felt comfortable but needs more work

• 2 weeks later...

This is my last posting in this thread until I am actually shooting in local matches again. At the present rate of improvement I will be able to walk a sporting course sometime this fall. As a thinking out loud err writing out loud exercise I'm pleased. It fits my analytical bent and still allows for flow. Though momentary brilliance is still in the cards the bright moments are getting longer. Below is my current working plan with a few editorial comments for added clarity.

I have been focusing on getting my game back as I recover from a couple hip surgeries. To do this I have been making lists derived from how I shot. Using one or two points from the list as a focus in a practice session. For the session on the twenty-first I altered the plan slightly. These are my notes some may not make sense to you. However, the shorthand works for me.

7/21 Just go over the list before I shoot.

1. Visualize.

2. Eyes firmly out. Head down.

3. Follow through.

4. Pick spot to hold gun - find a reference point beyond so I can hold there for each shot.

5. Hold line slightly below the line of the target. Check during initial set up. (Goldilocks just right)

6. Reset feet when necessary.

7. Flex left knee.

8. Shoot it don't ogle it.

Focus on one or two of the items when shooting

1/4"=40"@40 yards per Shooting Sporting Clays - Bobble is the operative word not benchrest shooting geometry.

Head forward on stock to get flat rib view?! Check Shooting Sporting Clays.

"Quiet eyes," review.

Ogle leads to bobble.

7/23 Excellent a 24/25 with strong wind float, crash, or hop. Incomers, crossers, quartering, oscillating from under our feet. The man next to me was shooting a heavily engraved McKay Brown 16 gauge one of a three gun set.

7/24 Mediocre result on rail - just not into it. Lack of focus - Lack "power success"

7/25 Very good 23/25s combo rabbits mixed speeds, quartering birds report and true pair.

Thought about hold points, power and success. Quiet Eye occasionally applied. Maybe more QE next session....

:rolleyes:http://www.facebook.com/groups/222423167796714?ap=1

Edited by Tangram

• 4 weeks later...