Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45acp reloads

DFinan

I am looking at getting into reloading and was wondering what some of the standard .45acp loads I should be looking at using to make major in limited 10. Currently I am just using factory loaded 230 grain jacketed round nose. Any suggestions on what to try out would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by DFinan

I use an HK45 with a polygonal barrel, I have heard that it is not a good idea to shoot lead rounds out of this type of barrel due to lead buildup? I am pretty new to reloading so am not sure if this is true or not.

I use an HK45 with a polygonal barrel, I have heard that it is not a good idea to shoot lead rounds out of this type of barrel due to lead buildup? I am pretty new to reloading so am not sure if this is true or not.

they do say that. BUT there are many variables to consider....

how many rounds do you shoot between cleanings?

how often do you clean?

I did alot of reading on this topic as i wass going to shoot through a stock glock barrel. what I found was that anything under 700~ rounds between cleanings and no one had a problem.

I have personally shot up to 400 rounds out of my glock between cleanings with no issues. on thing to remember with molly coated lead is that the molly is corrosive if left to sit. you should clean your barrel after every range trip.

No matter what any one else uses, you need to start at the starting and work up. Do not just assume that a load that works for me will be satisfactory or even safe in you gun(s).

Good point on the reloads, I already have Lees reloading manual and Hornadays 8th edition I have been reading over on .45acp. Was tyring to get feedback on what grain weight bullets to look at and use the stock loading information from the books for that bullet weight as a starting point. That and of course the whole lead bullet question.

In .45 reloads I use tons of 230 gr and some 200 gr. I shoot tons of lead, but only in cut rifled barrels. Rather than suggest exact loads, I suggest you get (or borrow) a chronograph. It is the single greatest tool to avoid missing major ( SON OF A ..........) and blowing up a gun...........(Sumbitc*&^*&% was loud....where did the slide go??)

my 45 acp load is 4.3 gr clays 200gr swc 1.250 oal. mixed range brass. very accurate mild recoil makes major. i use a 14 lb recoil spring. as stated above start at min and work your way up. this load works in my gun but may not in yours. reload safely.

my 45 acp load is 4.3 gr clays 200gr swc 1.250 oal. mixed range brass. very accurate mild recoil makes major. i use a 14 lb recoil spring. as stated above start at min and work your way up. this load works in my gun but may not in yours. reload safely.

straight clay works great in 45apc :cheers:

does anyone use montana gold .45 bullets. i am looking for a proper grainage using 231. and oal would be nice too.

A very popular load for bullseye shooting with Montana Gold from a 5" 1911 is:

MG 200 grain JFP

Titegroup 4.5 grains

COL 1.180

Winchester or Federal primers

Which MG bullets are you looking to shoot?