Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Printer Recommendation

I am going to start hauling my laptop out to our club matches and doing the scoring at the end of the match. I need some type of relatively small, portable, and cheap printer to haul along for this purpose only. In fact, maybe I would just lock it up in the clubhouse.

Anyone got any recommendations in this area?

If you are going to leave it at the range shack and size does not factor in I would just buy the cheapest ink jet you can find at you local Office Depot or whatever. If you buy a truely portable printer the cost is much greater. I just did a search online at Office Depot and they had Epsons and Cannons both for under $50.00. Can't go wrong at prices like that. If you are going to print Lots of copies the better multi cartridge printers soon become more economical as your output increases. :D

I recently bought the printer for my club. I picked up a Samsung laser printer for $199 before a $100 rebate (this particular rebate is no longer available, but they have them from time time). The cartridges are expensive but last a lot longer than inkjets, and are dry so they don't don't freeze. Office Max, Staples and CompUsa almost always have a laser printer for sale for less than $200 (watch out for the Brother - replacing the toner cartridge does not replace the drum, and new drums cost more than the printer).

The problem with "Secondary brands" (ie, anything other than HP) is that toner cartridges may not be as easy to find. This is not an issue if you mail order (cheaper anyhow), and always keep a spare on hand. Also, www.tonerrefillkits.com sells some rather nice drill & fill kits.

Inkjets are nice, but if you don't need color and want speed, volume and reliability laser is the way to go.

I'm not saying it's the best but we've been using a little Lexmark 1000 at our matches and it seems to work out pretty well. It's one of the small footprint desktop inkjets, weighs about four pounds, and can easily be carried around in a small gym bag. Unfortunately, they are no longer being made but I see a couple of them for sale on E-bay for under $10. If I had a good place to store it I would prefer a laser because the speed makes a difference when shooters are clamoring for results after a match but the Lexmark seems to be a nice little printer for what it does.

For $100 from Wal-Mart you can get a HP inkjet that does additional duty as a copier and a scanner. I've got about a dozen of them here at work and the end users love 'em. They are not all that small but are about 2/3rds the size of a bread box.

The copy function is a real plus in business for end users but may not be of much use to you for a club printer. But the printers are pretty fast for an inkjet even if they are kind of noisy. The model number is HP PCS 1200. Take a look at them.

If they are too big, just buy the least expensive Lexmark you can find and budget to replace it every year. They are pretty much a disposable item and $50 or so you can afford for it to be.

Good luck and good shooting.

In my line of work, we used the Cannon BJC-80 and 100 printers for the last 5 years. Overall, they work well. We'd use them to print estimates, letters and such, often over 100 pages a day. They are small and meant to be portable, and for the $$$, one of the best deals going. If you can find one attached to an O'Neil Field Kit, even better. They have rechargable a recharable battery and space to stow most laptops. Here is one I found on Ebay:

BJC-80 Field Kit

Currently, I have a HP Deskjet 450 portable ink jet printer. It seems to be very good, and a bit quicker than the BJC-80 I mention above. Its footprint is about 14" by 6".

HP's 1012 are great, cheap, fast. The bubblejets will cost you a ton in ink in year or two.

For what it is, the 1012 at $199 and stunningly light in weight is hands down the most portable laserjet printer in the business that I've found. I'm getting one for the Area 6 3-Gun and GA State Ch so I don't to lug my heavy Laserjet 4 up and down stairs anymore. I've also got a deskjet 990cse, and it'll even get displaced by the 1012.

HP's 1012 are great, cheap, fast. The bubblejets will cost you a ton in ink in year or two.

For what it is, the 1012 at $199 and stunningly light in weight is hands down the most portable laserjet printer in the business that I've found. I'm getting one for the Area 6 3-Gun and GA State Ch so I don't to lug my heavy Laserjet 4 up and down stairs anymore. I've also got a deskjet 990cse, and it'll even get displaced by the 1012.

That looked like a great printer as well. When buying a laser printer, check out the total cost - printer & one replacement cartridge (which should last a few years without need fo rmore supplies). Also, note that the cartridge which comes with the printer is often a low toner supply "starter" cartridge - the manufacturers aren't going to take chances of not getting a refill sale from a casual home owner by letting them buy it with a full tank.

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys! I have been a long time fan of HP lasers, but figured a laser would be too expensive. I didn't realize that these things came down in price so much.....

• 4 weeks later...

You can go and get a new HP 5600 both color and black. Great print rez and speed for $100.00. USB. Just set it up. Plug it in. Rock and Roll. Then just turn off comp and unplug and leave there. Then plug it back in and start comp up. Done deal.

Paul Franklin