Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LMT MPR Platform?

Smokin

I am 90% sure that I am going to be placing an order for a new JP rifle for this game. I am pretty new to the multi gun community, but have been shooting tactical long range for years. I am currently utilzing a LMT MPR 16" piston rifle with an Elcan 1/4x scope. The rifle is pretty much OEM LMT except for the Geissle trigger. I find the rifle to be relatively accurate, lightweight and extremely reliable. That being said, I can also see the advantage of the side charging handle, JP's handguard, and a longer 18" SS barrel. My question to this group is, is it really worth another $3K ? To qualify that, I am wondering if I am just for a different handgaurd, nicer machining, and a side charging handle. I ultimately want to have the best equipment, and will spend the money if needed, but would rather not if all I am gaining is a side charging handle. Thoughts?

The mrp is a great upper (but very heavy) have you thought about getting an 18' barrel with a nice comp (I put the rolling thunder on mine)?

The barrel is so easy to swap why not try that?

That is a great idea. If it boils down to an 18" barrel that is the primary driver for the change, I'll definitely go that route. For a comp, I am currently using a surefire brake on my 16" and find it pretty effective. I wouldnt be opposed to putting a different brake on if it was noticeably more effective. The surefire seems to work well and allows me to quickly attach a supressor for hog hunting.

I have an MRP upper that I used when I started 3-gunning. I originally had the MRP configured with a shorty barrel but as you guys are discussing, I put a 18" rock barrel in it. That barrel is very accurate, but the system is heavy as Carlos mentioned. I eventually switched to a 3-gun dedicated JP upper. Note my MRP is a traditional DI-system.

Some things I liked about the MRP: Monolithic top rail so didn't need an extended scope mount and just put the optic wherever it was optimal. Ease of maintenance/service. Accurate 18" barrel.

Some things I liked less: I prefer lighter over heavier. On an 18" barrel, would prefer rifle length gas. Cheese grater handguards were unnecessary for the game, so just ended up covering them all up anyway.

Separate from all that, I greatly prefer standard DI over gas piston in the AR platform.

But certainly when starting out, never a bad idea to run what you got, and get a better feel for what might work best for you.

ETA, if you don't mind lightening your wallet in a hurry -- find a buddy who has a full-on JP system with rifle length gas, adj gas block, LMOS operating system... then put rounds downrange and tell me if you don't start reaching for your wallet before the brass hits the ground!! ;) That system is tuned to create such a flat shooting rifle, you owe it to yourself to compare it to your gas piston system.

Edited by esskay

I have an MRP upper that I used when I started 3-gunning. I originally had the MRP configured with a shorty barrel but as you guys are discussing, I put a 18" rock barrel in it. That barrel is very accurate, but the system is heavy as Carlos mentioned. I eventually switched to a 3-gun dedicated JP upper. Note my MRP is a traditional DI-system.

Some things I liked about the MRP: Monolithic top rail so didn't need an extended scope mount and just put the optic wherever it was optimal. Ease of maintenance/service. Accurate 18" barrel.

Some things I liked less: I prefer lighter over heavier. On an 18" barrel, would prefer rifle length gas. Cheese grater handguards were unnecessary for the game, so just ended up covering them all up anyway.

Separate from all that, I greatly prefer standard DI over gas piston in the AR platform.

But certainly when starting out, never a bad idea to run what you got, and get a better feel for what might work best for you.

ETA, if you don't mind lightening your wallet in a hurry -- find a buddy who has a full-on JP system with rifle length gas, adj gas block, LMOS operating system... then put rounds downrange and tell me if you don't start reaching for your wallet before the brass hits the ground!! ;) That system is tuned to create such a flat shooting rifle, you owe it to yourself to compare it to your gas piston system.

Well said :)

I have a total of 12 ARs and always grab the JP CTR-02 for 3 gun matches and everything else. It is heads and shoulders above the rest and I have some very nice ARs. It will be money well spent.

+1 JP 18" for hoser matches 20" for long range.

Although I use standard lowers not CTR-02"s

JP Rifles are great units buth whether or not the large cash outlay is worth it is entirely up to you. The unit you have is solid and keep in mind that unless you are having problems with your rifle, your likely not messing with the charging handle on the rifle during a course of fire regardless of whether it is conventional or on the side. And unless your shooting at matches on a regular basis past 300 yards, I would have to question whether an extra 2 inches of barrel would do much for you.

on the optic of 16 vs 18. I can do hypothetical ballistic calculations all day long, but will the extra 2" be materially different for POI if Im using a ballistic reticle on my scope? I don't want to go 18" and realize that I need a new scope.

on the optic of 16 vs 18. I can do hypothetical ballistic calculations all day long, but will the extra 2" be materially different for POI if Im using a ballistic reticle on my scope? I don't want to go 18" and realize that I need a new scope.

No. I used a 16" with the 1x4 Elcan and XM193 until I picked up my new rifle which is 18" with a 1.5x6 Elcan and the same ammo. When I signted in the new rifle I actually took my old one to the range bacause I wanted them sighted in exactly the same. At least using the ballistic reticle in the Elcan, they both shoot to the same point of impact. But where they differ is that the 18" barre; shoots a much better group. The best my 16 did was just under an inch at 100 yards and I am getting a half inch group out of the 18" susing the same ammo they give the National Guard. I also tested some higher end ammo and found it shot no batter, and in some cases worse, then what I had used all along.

• 1 year later...

FWIW I'm still running an LMT MRP 16" direct gas gun and while it's a little heavier I think it's a great gun. I'm running factory speer gold dot 64 grain rounds through it and getting well under 1/2 inch groups at 100. The extra heft combine with a GoGun Non talon comp makes recoil almost non existant. If I were in your shoes (which for the most part I am as far as the rifle goes) I'd keep running the LMT until you were certain the JP was what you wanted.