Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gamey mods for lightening a 1911 slide

Bill Schwab

I want to lighten a slide on an ESP gun, BUT IDPA rules state that no external mods are required other then the ones they allow.  So where can I remove weight without it being external?  I think I heard eons ago that Heinie was good at this.  Any thoughts?

Bill

i was at idpa nationals a couple weeks ago talking with gunsmith tim backus. he was using a 9mm single stack (esp class) that he had done some lightening on.

he reduced the sides of the slide starting just behind the ejection port (on both sides) and went all the way to the front of the slide. it was very tastefully done.

i talked with a local gunsmith about taking out some metal on the inside, top of the slide just behind the slide cut for the bushing. he would also flatten the top of the slide, but my sti already has a flat top slide.

i was considering the slide lightening as well.

i think i will have the sides reduced. it looks really nice.

anything for a perceived (mental) gain i guess :-)

i never had much sense though...

regards,

will s.

will,

Funny you mention Tim Bacas because I spoke with him about his slide at the Blackwater Mini-Challenge match a few monthes ago.  He told me that he sent it to George at EGW for that slide cut....I thought it looked HOT (kinda reminded me of a Sig 210), BUT I figured that some IDPA RO would shit bricks because it's an external mod.

Let the IDPA arms race begin!!!

Bill  

• 5 weeks later...