Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Open Gun Build Thread

Blcksmk

After many hours of searching and looking through old threads I decided that I would build a Glock 22 .40 Cal Open blaster for USPSA and the occasional GSSF matches. I'm sure many people are wondering "why .40?". Really, I am playing around with this. I'm not looking to win every match plus I get .40 brass for free.

With that said, here are my plans for this gun: Lone Wolf Barrel, Lone Wolf / Jager comp, slide lightening, trigger job, C-More STS.

So far I have had the slide work done, and got the barrel and comp put in. I went with the lone wolf comp for now because I got it for free and wanted to see how it would perform before I bought a Jager. I've got some pictures as well...

DSC01570.jpg

DSC01569.jpg

DSC01571.jpg

I'll be sure to update you guys as I order more parts and start to develop loads for the gun.

Blcksmk

Looks almost identical to mine....except mine is a G35, and I have a Burris Fastfire II on mine. Now for the "big" question...I have been playing with various loads seeing which "feels" best and still make major. If any one here has open glock with a compensator, please share your favorite .40 major load data.

Thanks!

Edited by bowcop

Looking good. Who did the slide cuts?

Jeff Abernathy of Precision Gun Works did it for me! He did a great job! I will say, the finish on these slides make them hard as a rock and takes some time to cut. We burned two cutters trying to do those three cuts.

Looks almost identical to mine....except mine is a G35, and I have a Burris Fastfire II on mine. Now for the "big" question...I have been playing with various loads seeing which "feels" best and still make major. If any one here has open glock with a compensator, please share your favorite .40 major load data.

Thanks!

How do you like the Burris Fastfire II? I've been debating between the C-More STS and the Fastfire. I have some .40 Major data that I pulled from the reloading section on here. I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere around here.

Blcksmk

Looking good. Who did the slide cuts?

Jeff Abernathy of Precision Gun Works did it for me! He did a great job! I will say, the finish on these slides make them hard as a rock and takes some time to cut. We burned two cutters trying to do those three cuts.

Thanks!

How do you like the Burris Fastfire II? I've been debating between the C-More STS and the Fastfire. I have some .40 Major data that I pulled from the reloading section on here. I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere around here.

Blcksmk

I like the Fastfire very much.....I just wish that the brightness was adjustable manually. But all in all, it is really accurate and holds it's zero.

And Chuck, thank you for the info.

Just a quick update...

I ordered the C-More STS today with the mount for it. Should be here by Friday. I also looked at several options for a slide racker and came across this on Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42165/product/GLOCK_SLIDE_RACKER

Instead of cutting up the slide in front of the C-More I will probably go with this.

And finally I started to search for a good load for .40 open guns. I came across this load in the thread posted above.

155GR Bullet W/ 7.0GR of HS6 @ 1.125 OAL. What do you guys think of this load? I still need to get a chrono to check my loads but those with experience can tell me if this is good or bad?

Blcksmk

Sweet upper you have going there. Here are pics of my open .40 glock. It is a Glock 35, Lone Wolf barrel, C-more sts, Dawson magwell, home trigger job, home made slide racker. Shooting 180 moly with auto comp. Just made A open with it, nearing Master.

post-16694-015937500 1305596391_thumb.jp

post-16694-084295800 1305596403_thumb.jp

post-16694-096643400 1305596414_thumb.jp

Looks good so far!

You're bolder than I am, I went with a bigger top window but kept the side cut away from the ejection port. The only place I've ever seen Glock slides crack is at the forward portion on the ejection port down into the slide rail.

Of course, mine is a suppressor host, not an open gun! I might try to run it on some steel matches just for fun, but all of that will be at minor PF.

Keep us updated,

-Randy

Edit to add: G17 frame, G22 slide, LWD 40-9 conversion barrel, Trijicon LED RMR, Jager steel guide rod, 13lb ISMI, Jager striker, Wolff RP striker spring, JP magwell, Surefire X300.

post-30069-084771100 1305600210_thumb.jp

post-30069-087802600 1305600228_thumb.jp

Edited by double_r76

Sweet upper you have going there. Here are pics of my open .40 glock. It is a Glock 35, Lone Wolf barrel, C-more sts, Dawson magwell, home trigger job, home made slide racker. Shooting 180 moly with auto comp. Just made A open with it, nearing Master.

Mind sharing your data on that load? Also too which moly are you using and how is the build up of moly/lead in the comp?

This is not a new topic by any means, but FWIW, I'm in the process of doing the same thing but doing it as simple as possible. So, I ordered a Lone Wolf G22 slide and a Jager kit and will pull the striker and plunger and stuff out of my G35 slide and put this on my G35 Limited lower and be ready to go. Total time to convert the gun from a G35 Limited to G22 Open is about 3 minutes.

L_10 Shooter,

Gun looks good! No comp? Or is the barrel ported? Also, whats your load data for your bullets?

Moly can build up some in the comp but not bad. Jacketed bullets are prefered. I will be using Moly coated bullets or even some hard cast bullets if I need them quickly for a match. I have a local supplier about 30 minutes from me for a good cast bullet.

Firing pin has been ordered as well as the slide racker. Got a Lightning strike steel striker for the firing pin. Have one in my production gun and got the pull down to 2lbs.

Blcksmk

Here is mine...G35, LWD barrel and comp, Ghost rocket 3.5 trigger that has been customized by me and is at about 2lbs. Custom slide racker and 1911 style thumb rest and I made the mag release out of a .40 case head. Burris Fastfire II and the grip has been shaved in certain areas to fit my hand better. Mag well is a Glockmiester. I am playing with differant loads for IPSC Open, so if anyone wants to share thier pet load, feel free!

post-32265-068763500 1305674772_thumb.jp

post-32265-011529700 1305674798_thumb.jp

Edited by bowcop

Hello from Spain,

1st post here guys. I shoot I.P.S.C over here and I have two Open 9mm Glock 17's. They both have the same trigger jobs, polished internal parts and reduced power springs, same mag wells, extended mag buttons and slide releases. Taylor Freelance and Arredondo magazine extensions.

Both are fitted with I.G.B Austria barrels.

The Steel compensated one is quite clever. It uses gas ports around the outside diameter of the barrel to force back the steel "Impulse ring" against the slide like a piston. This opens the slide faster so you can use a STEEL compensator without machining the slide to lighten it. Shoots nice and flat too. This gun has the slide mounted STS CMORE red dot sight.

The other G17 has a 7 1/2 inch I.G.B barrel with five ports. Over the chrono it typically gives 100 fps more than a standard G17. So with fine tuning of your hand loaded Major 9mm you can use slightly less powder, resulting in lower pressure but still comfortably make Major PF 160. This one has an I.G.B frame fixed weaver mount and the Burris Fastfire. Doesn't shoot quite as soft as the steel comp one but is very fast.

I use once fired cases usually GECO or S+B with a 125gr H+N (German) plated TMJ bullet over 8.3gr of Vectan SP2. Factors out at 165 in the shorter gun.

After using both I don't think there is anything to choose between the Burris and the STS. The only advantage the STS has is that you can change the battery without removing the sight from the mount.

We all really envy you in the U.S for your available choice of after market go faster bits and being able to readily and easily buy them without licencing.

post-31812-016215500 1305810704_thumb.jp

post-31812-000291800 1305810722_thumb.jp

Edited by malagamarksman

Gun looks good. Steel comps are not really needed for these guns. Alum comps usually do the trick. As for the STS VS. Burris deal...I simply chose the STS for the reason of I didn't have to remove it to replace the battery. Parts should be here tomorrow.

Edited by Blcksmk

I will say, the finish on these slides make them hard as a rock and takes some time to cut. We burned two cutters trying to do those three cuts.

Yeah - you're not kidding there. I burned up a couple of drill bits doing my slide. I suppose I could make cuts in the sides as well, but it works pretty well as-is.

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00644.jpg

I will say, the finish on these slides make them hard as a rock and takes some time to cut. We burned two cutters trying to do those three cuts.

Yeah - you're not kidding there. I burned up a couple of drill bits doing my slide. I suppose I could make cuts in the sides as well, but it works pretty well as-is.

Is that a open gun as well? I was aiming for speed when we made the cuts in my slide. I want the slide to move as fast as possible so that I can have faster follow up shots and less overall weight.

Is that a open gun as well? I was aiming for speed when we made the cuts in my slide. I want the slide to move as fast as possible so that I can have faster follow up shots and less overall weight.

I set it up as a suppressor host. But I've got a LW comp that I can screw on as well. It does okay as a budget option, but it's nothing like running a full blown STI/SV Open gun.

Actually, I've run it suppressed at a couple of local matches. The silencer has a booster, which allows it to cycle with all that extra weight on the end of the barrel. It makes for a very strange feeling recoil impulse, though.

DSC07423.jpg

I have an alloy compensator too. True you do not need a steel compensator but the one I have gives a bit more of a muzzle heavy feel. So the gun shoots a little bit softer. Not a bad thing.

That surpressed Glock looks AWESOME !!

Edited by malagamarksman

My G35 has no comp or ports. Its a limited gun with a slide racker and optic. I have found that the correct grip brings the dot right back to target.

Really? What kind of load are you using? It just seems hard to do that especially with a major open load?

Have you guys run into any durability problems with the slide mounted optics?

Its inevitable, resistance is futile. I had a small problem with my sts and they fixed it for no charge, But electronics are not going to live a long happy life mounted to something slamming back and forth at high speed.

Here is a link to match video with my "open" G35.

Edited by L-10_shooter

Have you guys run into any durability problems with the slide mounted optics?

No problems so far with mine (photo above). Thousands of rounds, don't keep a count. I believe Angus Hobdell of CZ USA is running a slide mounted STS on a CZ 75. He says he has clocked up TWENTY SIX THOUSAND ROUNDS so far with no problems.

Edited by malagamarksman