Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's a good draw time?

EurAzn12

I'm fairly new to IDPA, but not to competitive shooting. Just curious what a "fast" draw time is. I shoot CDP and I've been practicing with my 1911 and Blackhawk Serpa holster both concealed and non-concealed... From buzzer to trigger pull at 7yds I've been averaging 1 second (no cover garment) and 1.5 w/ and not "point shooting" all hits in -0

Both sound fairly fast. There was a "spiffy" IDPA shooter at the last match I saw, and his draw was about 1.4ish, from concealment. For USPSA, I think the "spiffy" shooters have about a 1.1ish draw.

Quick draws don't typically win stages it is everything that you do after that.

Precisely. Or as an instructor once told me: "it's not a race to the first shot; it's a race to the last shot".

Thanks, the comments are appreciated. At my first match it was my draw that held me up big time, I took 3rd by like 20 seconds and I had 0 dropped point on 3 of 5 stages, I think it was mostly due to the fact that my holster was crap and I was using a hoodie that kept snagging the grip... Since then I purchased a 5.11 vest and Serpa holster :) My last range visit I practiced the draw, double taps and a bit of the mozambique drill. Trying to get out of the service pistol slower rate of fire habit is a pain

Transitions and reloads. Movement to positions. Get that gun on the next target faster and get an accurate shot off. You'll do that 2 to 18 times more in any given stage than you'll draw. That only happens once.

.3 secs off a draw will not win a match IMHO.

The times you posted are very good. However, fast draws are worhless if your giving back time in the form of points down. Draw times are also affected by the distance to the targets... While important, there are other areas (as stared above) where you can save time. Remember, you may only draw your gun a maximum of 15 times in a 15 stage match, but you will do dozens of transitions. Also, movement between positions is the real time saver.

A fast draw can help but it is not where you will pick up the most time. As others have said, Two places that you will pick up huge chunks of time are your transitions between targets and by "sprinting" from one position to the next if you have to move. You draw ONCE per stage whereas you may have 6 transitions between targets and possibly one or two position changes. You can cut say 2 seconds off a stage by having faster transitions and movement and possibly only .5 of a second per stage by having a faster draw.

In matches I see a lot of people that kind of "wander-walk" their way from the start position to the next one and then, when they get to the next position, they get all set up perfect before they break the shot...and they lose **massive** amounts of time that way.

If you have a timer, try this:

Set up two barricades and three targets in an "El Prez" format with the two outside targets even with the barricades and the middle one half way between. The key here is to have the same draw in both drills. You are trying to test your speed and accuracy, not your draw time. Load your mag up full so you do not have to reload.

1) Start at one barricade, Try to shoot it "perfect" with two shots each from the outside of the first barricade. You are looking for perfection here, not necessarily speed! Then, just "fast walk" between the two barricades and fire two shots each from the outside at the second barricade. Record your time and points down.

2)Do the same thing and draw the same "perfect" way but after the draw (safely) PUSH your speed shooting and try to shoot AND move as quickly as possible! *Accept that you may not get a perfect shot!* You should *EXPLODE* from the first barricade to the second. Record your time and points down.

If your draws on both drills are the same, even with points down you should see that the second method is noticeably faster.

I use that drill setup, and some variations on it, to practice with. It gives me practice with shooting, moving, and barricades. If you want to practice shooting on the move or reloads, do a tac-load and shoot while you are transitioning between the two positions and then another tac-load. To make it more interesting I move the targets further out, set them at different heights and spread out the distances between the positions and targets.

The timer does not lie and I can not count the number of times that I have *thought* one method was faster until I run it against the timer... :-)

Thanks for all the replies and help.

As of right now I'm still unclassified so I'm working on my draw time the most and "mozambique drills" as I have an upcoming classifier. All the other advice I've taken on board and will be practicing those skills a lot.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

As of right now I'm still unclassified so I'm working on my draw time the most and "mozambique drills" as I have an upcoming classifier. All the other advice I've taken on board and will be practicing those skills a lot.

The hardest part of the classifier is the third stage. Practice that.

Transitions and reloads. Movement to positions. Get that gun on the next target faster and get an accurate shot off. You'll do that 2 to 18 times more in any given stage than you'll draw. That only happens once.

.3 secs off a draw will not win a match IMHO.

I agree about the focus on other things but at some point it ALL matters. .3secs on each draw will get you ~3 secs faster in a major match with 10 stages. It will get you ~4 secs in the classifier. I say approximately as we know there are many stages where you can draw on the move, etc and this can effect your first shot times and not account for distance travelled, etc.

If you have a 1 sec draw, the drill should be able to be done in the 1.6 seconds range and from concealment and a 1.5 sec draw it should be in the 2.1 range.

Most people who are learning rush the draw and can't shoot the splits and transitions because they draw ONLY for speed and not for good form/technique.

Ya the indoor range I was at was very picky about "rapid fire" shooting, although they allowed draws from the holster... So in my defense I was slowing it down quite a bit. I've never been criticized on my form or technique either for being sloppy and focusing on just being a speed demon on the draw, unless it's my coach, but he'd say Taran Butler needs work :roflol: *jokingly of course* haha

Just trying to help give you a solid par time, not trying to offend.

If you are 1 second out of the holster with A's, move on, as that is all you need. Sure you could push for .8, but with a .5 sec -1 penalty, you will lose over all. Not a lot of draws in IDPA (or IPSC) are straight to a target anyway.

True, and that is good info to know next time I'm at the range with a timer. BTW that'll be Sunday I'm shooting a BUG match, should be interesting. Thanks for all the help though :) This noob to IDPA does appreciate it :cheers:

At yesterday's "BUG" match, (I shot my 1911 in CDP), I averaged 1.4 draws. One stage was to draw SHO and from retention fire five shots, I did it in 2.1 and down zero from 1 yd and the same thing at 4yds SHO (extended) in 2.7 :) not too bad. I placed 1st in my division and 2nd overall, an SSP shooter took 1st overall by 4 seconds

We had one crazy stage with a barrel to shoot through then 5 targets set up pyramid style at about 3 6 and 9 feet from the barrel with a swinger that would swing and block all the targets as it went through its range of motion. On the signal you had to pull the stop for the swinger w/ your strong hand, kneel and engage targets but if you hit the no shoot swinger it was a FTDR... Geez it was an adrenaline rush not to hit it.

We had one crazy stage with a barrel to shoot through then 5 targets set up pyramid style at about 3 6 and 9 feet from the barrel with a swinger that would swing and block all the targets as it went through its range of motion. On the signal you had to pull the stop for the swinger w/ your strong hand, kneel and engage targets but if you hit the no shoot swinger it was a FTDR...

FTDR? Why? IDPA has a rule for that -- hit on a non-threat is a 5 second penalty, not a 20 second penalty.

Edited by M1911

Since it was a BUG match, the match director had some creative license to mix things up a bit... At least that was the reason given to us. All I know is one guy in my relay shot it and was notttt happy.

Sorry, but a BUG match is license to make up rules. An FTDR for that is bunk, IMO.