Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo specific to Mossy 930

timawa

When I used my 930 waterfowl 28" bbl ported the first in 3gun, it work flawlessly with flying colors. Then I decided I'm gonna have it cut to 22" nonported. Through practice worked fine until today in the match. Shot 4 slugs first then reloaded to max (w/ extended mag of 4 = total 8 in mag 1 in the chamber). By the 4th shell it got stock, it did not spit out the spent shell, I extracted the empty shell and then it happened again on the 7th shell.

Oh well, it happens but I did not expect it worst than this.

After that I realized I used a 7 1/2 during the match and not 9 which I used the first match and at practice. By the way, the 9s knocked down steel plates really good probably/maybe because the first time it got mod choke & longer barrel = more velocity? I don't know, educate me please.

So do you think it's the type of shot that made the problem?

Is there size difference (circumference of the shell) between 7 1/2 & 9?

Or I over loaded the magazine and causes jam? Spring maybe?

Please reply only if you use mossy 930 (experience with), but if you are planning to just bash the 930 being unrealiable or cheap what ever please don't.

I need advice and knowledge not criticism.

Thank you.

Edited by timawa

timawa,

Tell us about the shells you are using now, and what you were using previously. Brand and type, shot charge weight, velocity or DE.

How many round have been fired since cleaning and lubing the gun?

BTW, going from a 28" to 22" barrel length will have little, if any, effect on the velocity of a shotshell.

So far my moss 930 has liked everything i put in it,

Win Univeral 7-1/2

Federal field and target multi purpose 7-1/2

Wolf low recoil slugs,

federal #5 high brass

Remington Sluggers

and a mix of other loads. I can look up the loads, velocity and such if you need it.

all were 2-3/4".

I shot them with both a 18-1/2" and 24" barrel. all good.

Did you have it lubed enough? I like my 930 fairly wet.

Edited by gotigers

timawa,

Tell us about the shells you are using now, and what you were using previously. Brand and type, shot charge weight, velocity or DE.

How many round have been fired since cleaning and lubing the gun?

BTW, going from a 28" to 22" barrel length will have little, if any, effect on the velocity of a shotshell.

Thanks Guncat, by the way it's those wally world winchester 9 shots white box, and winchester 7 1/2 white box not the AA. Slug is remington slugger. Can't remember the velocity or DE but they are those over the counter cheap shots.

So far my moss 930 has liked everything i put in it,

Win Univeral 7-1/2

Federal field and target multi purpose 7-1/2

Wolf low recoil slugs,

federal #5 high brass

Remington Sluggers

and a mix of other loads. I can look up the loads, velocity and such if you need it.

all were 2-3/4".

I shot them with both a 18-1/2" and 24" barrel. all good.

Did you have it lubed enough? I like my 930 fairly wet.

Yes I cleaned it and lubed it, but maybe not enough. I also have some speculation maybe the lifter is not lubed well or maybe too rough and needed to be polished.

The shot payload/speed or DE is kinda important since one could be lighter than the other. On cheap shells, I would go with the Federal 100 pack from walmart as they tend to work the best followed by remington, then winchester. The only difference is 9 and 7.5 shot is inside the shell 7.5 is a bigger pellet. I have seen the winchester promo loads at walmart from 7/8 oz to 1 1/8 oz

Try some of the 100 round boxes of Federal #7.5 shot from Wal~Mart. Those are the 1200 fps / 3 DE loads. (Better yet would be Remington Nitro or Winchester AA Target loads with 1 /18oz of shot at 1200 fps). The Winchester Universal and promo type loads have had issues for sometime now with cycling and extraction.

I use my 930 with the Federal hunting loads in 6 and 7.5......if you look at the prices at Wal Mart....the bulk packs are $22 ish and the hunting loads are $4.76 a box. Four boxes for less than $20 and also better choice in shells.

My 930 never had an issue with ANYTHING I fed it.

For the most part, I shot:

Winchester bulk box (15 ct.) slugs from walmart

Federal law enforcement reduced recoil slugs

Remington 7.5 and 6 Heavy Dove loads

Winchester super speed el cheapo 7.5 and 8.

100% reliable on anything.

Have you ever loaded to capacity with the +4 extension and had it work properly or is this this first time loading the +4 to capacity?

Did you measure and cut the new spring when you installed the +4 extension?

I have the same setup and I haven't had a single problem running 7 1/2 bulk pack from Walmart.

Are you running a side saddle on your 930? Something's odd, it should be running well with the ammo you've described. I mostly run the lightest ammo I can find, just because I can. Right now I'm running:

birdshot:

- managed recoil remington: 1100 fps / 7/8 ounce

- light target remington: 1145 fps / 1 1/8

- federal wal-mart stuff (when I can't get the other two above)

slugs:

- rem managed recoil slugger: 1200 / 1

- Fed premium truball low recoil slug HP: 1300 / 1

- Fiocchi exacta aero slug: 1150 / 1oz (primarily all I shoot now)

Have you ever loaded to capacity with the +4 extension and had it work properly or is this this first time loading the +4 to capacity?

Did you measure and cut the new spring when you installed the +4 extension?

I have the same setup and I haven't had a single problem running 7 1/2 bulk pack from Walmart.

Yes I did, that's why I was so surprised about what happened. During the practice I usually full load the mag to 8 + 1 in the chamber and fire it as fast as I can just to check if the spring works fine. I did cut the spring, I got the Nordic ext.

Are you running a side saddle on your 930? Something's odd, it should be running well with the ammo you've described. I mostly run the lightest ammo I can find, just because I can. Right now I'm running:

birdshot:

- managed recoil remington: 1100 fps / 7/8 ounce

- light target remington: 1145 fps / 1 1/8

- federal wal-mart stuff (when I can't get the other two above)

slugs:

- rem managed recoil slugger: 1200 / 1

- Fed premium truball low recoil slug HP: 1300 / 1

- Fiocchi exacta aero slug: 1150 / 1oz (primarily all I shoot now)

I don't have a side saddle, by the way I checked the cycling many time last night and no problem with ejecting the shells and I lubed it generously this time. Hope it will help.