Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clue Me In

Lee Watne

I have been reading the thread about How to Improve the IDPA with great intrest. I belong to a shooting club in Anchorage Alaska and we are quite isolated from the matches in the lower 48. For the past three years we have been running IDPA matches once a month. We also have USPSA matches on alternate week ends. There are several other clubs in the state but I don't believe anyone has ever visited our IDPA matches from outside our area. Distances are great, 270 to over 800 miles. Road transportation is only available to Fairbanks. Do I read you correctly that tactical loads are out of style? How about loads with retention? Since there are different magazine capacities everyone doesn't go to slide lock at the same time.  Do they prefer shooting to slide lock and then make a mag. change? It seems pretty hard to accommodate different capacities in a stage unless they never go over six rounds. We are like the Galapogas Islands of IDPA.  Sorry I'm so far out of the loop.

not a problem, where to start. lol.

tactical and reloads with retention should be allowed to used interchangablally, 2 reasons, one gamers, 2 have you ever tried a tac load with a G20 mag.... not easy even with big hands. they are basically OUT as in "on the clock" but lots of clubs are running the stage with 2 strings and having you to do a tac load inbetween.

divisions SSP, ESP, CDP and SSR do not compete against each other in most matches. so where you reload from slide lock is not all that important, stages can be revolver neutral by running arrays of 6 shots, then moving to another position, 3 shots on 2 targets.. failure to neutralize drills, etc.

frequently stages run near 18 rounds. usually 15-16 at the most.

Try to make most of the stages 12 rounds. That makes all classes reload once. As for reloads most matches I've been to lately use "Any IDPA legal reload" That leaves it up to the shooter. Remember all reloads should be done behind cover if its available. In designing the COF try to get the shooter behind a barricade or barrel so they can do the reload. Ex. have the shooter shoot a few targets on the way to cover and then use props that simulate cover, barrels,cars.walls,etc. Reloads are critical when you need them and are under extreame stress. Practicing increases your odds of success.

Hi Lee,

Retention and Tac reloads are still the IDPA reloads of choice. Personaly I try to set up stages that allow you to reload as you need to using what works for you.

I have only shot IDPA at our little club in Turlock, CA and 3 other Northern California IDPA clubs. At all 4 clubs the stages vary greatly depending on who sets them up. I have seen 3 round stages trying for ultimate realism and 18 round stages trying to be IPSC lite

I have pirated as many IDPA stages off the internet from around the country as possible and it appears my experiences reflect what most IDPA stages look like, I think

My favorite stage info site is: http://www.sportshooter.com/cof_library/

Whats the weather like in Alaska this time of year?

Keith

Keith,

Weather? That's all we get, seven months winter and five months bad weather. It's hovering around zero right now but we have an indoor range at Palmer where we schedule IPSC and IDPA matches. They let us shoot in front of the line. About half our IDPA stages are low light or flashlight stages. That's interesting but gives those kids with cat eyes an advantage. Sure see some interesting muzzel flashes.

Thanks for the information.