Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forum Memory Upgrade

benos

Over the last 6 months or so, the server's crashed a few times to many. So after some investigating, the problem was the server was running out of memory. So last night the server was taken offline to add 4 GB of ram to the server. So hopefully that will help.

At this time it appears that when The Planet took the server offline, they just unplugged it. Which corrupted a forum database table, so the forums were down for a while. But thanks to the wizards at Total Server Solutions, we're back online.

be

when The Planet took the server offline, they just unplugged it. Which corrupted a forum database table

I would be pissed if that was my server. Wait a minute, I am pissed, they kept me from my morning BEnos.com fix!!

when The Planet took the server offline, they just unplugged it. Which corrupted a forum database table

I would be pissed if that was my server. Wait a minute, I am pissed, they kept me from my morning BEnos.com fix!!

I am pissed! And I'm going to tell them that here shortly.

be

I am pissed! And I'm going to tell them that here shortly.

be

Give'em hell from all of us Brian!!

Thanks for all the work you put into this place for us to swap stories and lies;-)

I just checked the server stats with a "top" command, and with the additional 4 GB of ram (we had 4 GB initially), with the same number of members online as there was yesterday afternoon, the server load is less than half of what it was yesterday. :D

You'd think server hosts would know to shutdown a box properly.... ugh.

Yea, no shit. I yelled at them in a ticket, but they haven't responded yet.

They won't, besides a "My bad!" What they see is a fixed problem, and no problem at all with the problem they created...

They won't, besides a "My bad!" What they see is a fixed problem, and no problem at all with the problem they created...

Is this the same "The Planet" that hosts USPSA and didn't swap out a failed hard drive from their raid5 array until a 2nd one failed and caused a 3 day outage?

Is this the same "The Planet" that hosts USPSA and didn't swap out a failed hard drive from their raid5 array until a 2nd one failed and caused a 3 day outage?

Yiiikes! Lol...

We shared space on a RackSpace server that was somewhere in the UK for a couple years. In general, their service was excellent - any problems were handled with great speed and they were very proactive. Except for one thing... While their external security seemed good, their internal security wasn't.

I still don't understand how they could let this happen but some of the stuff they hosted had virtually no security at all and those sites allowed hackers easy access to that server and once they got in, they were able to get at other servers within the same cluster. The most likely cause was having a bunch of servers all connected to a common pipe with identical copies of the OS (Linux) and the same root admin access - hack one and you've hacked them all.

Anyway, on two occasions our web sites and forums were hacked and all kinds of spam started spewing out of them. They had to be wiped and restored from a clean version once the holes had been plugged. After the second occurrence in 6 months, we moved.

I was told that's the max amount of ram our server will hold:

+ Intel Xeon 3210 Quad Core Kentsfield Processor

+ 4 GB RAM (05.14.11: now 8 GB)

+ 3 x 146GB 10K RPM SAS/SCSI Drive

+ RAID5 Controler

With RAID5 and 3 SCSI drives, you'd think they would design the server's ram capacity to handle whatever the server could handle.

Since the ram upgrade forum pages seem to consistently load a bit snappier for me.

Mac's newest "12-core" desktop computer ships with 6 GB of ram, and my "old" quad-core has 2.5 GB of ram, and it's still fairly snappy.

Also, for servers, there's the "swap factor".

Now, with over 300 members online, there's still ram "left":

Mem: 8312968k total, 6789636k used, 1523332k free, 229888k buffers

Swap: 2040212k total, 108k used, 2040104k free, 5959696k cached

... But I understand - more ram is never a bad thing.

If the forum membership base keeps growing like it has for the last year or so, I may have to look into upgrading us onto a new server. But for now, the memory increase made a nice improvement.

be