Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Powder River

PRP Trigger? Production Legal?

Q: Is our new trigger legal in Production Division?

triggerots1.png

A: Yes. Our trigger is a Springfield Armory OEM part available on several production XD and XDM pistols from the factory. Springfield part #'s:

XCM9131 "XDM custom competition model"

XC9131 "XD custom competition model"

XCM9121 "XDM production"

XC9121 "XD production"

Front Sight Magazine -May/June 2011 page 58.

"Powder River Trigger

I Just bought a new out of the box Springfield XD and shot a local match and was bumped to Open division. When I asked why, they said that trigger (Powder River) was not allowed. Can you tell me what is going on?

Answer

The trigger system on the Springfield XD and XDm handguns is legal. It is a factory-offered trigger that is a striker-fired system which is allowed and comes installed on six different models of the XD and XDm, and they are built in at the factory and therefor are an OEM part."

APPENDIX D4 — Production Division

21.6 Exchange of minor

EXTERNAL components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OEM or aftermarket parts. Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OEM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers. Special Notes/Clarifications:

• Barrels are considered “external parts” and are subjectto specific restrictions in 21.4 and associated rulings.

• A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

• Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OEM parts” if the custom shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Productionguns

I would double check with IDPA on the SSP, it is not on the inclusive list and they would have to qualify a custom model as meeting the 2k requirement. Does not use the criteria that makes it legal in USPSA.

Hmmm, my guess is that the trigger is not legal for ssp. Reasons:

1. The verbiage about no "externally visible" mods for ssp small parts in the IDPA rule book.

2. If it was legal I'm thinking that Powder River would have posted to make sure that we knew it was legal. I'm thinking they like to sell as many as they can :)