Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gunpowder and infrared heat

I am building a storage building at my home and want to heat it and use it to reload in. I was looking into infrared heat which is much more cost effective than electric baseboard heat. As I understand it, infrared heats up the oblects in the room not the air. That said, it would also heat up the gunpowder in my press, I assume. Would this cause any problems with regards to ignighting the powder or any other safety issue related to powder or primers?

What kind of infrared?

I mean, is it a radiant floor, or an open gas infrared burner?

If its one of those ceramic gas infrared burners, its an open flame. I'd stay away from it.

I know a little about HVAC. Do you have a furnace or boiler in your home?

How many square feet is the building?

How far is your house from the building?

Do you have natural gas available?

What do you heat your home with?

Do you want to keep it warm all the time? (smart if you want to avoid condensation on reloading equipment)

or do you just want to be able to crank the heat when you are in there reloading?

What kind of infrared?

I mean, is it a radiant floor, or an open gas infrared burner?

If its one of those ceramic gas infrared burners, its an open flame. I'd stay away from it.

I know a little about HVAC. Do you have a furnace or boiler in your home?

How many square feet is the building?

How far is your house from the building?

Do you have natural gas available?

What do you heat your home with?

Do you want to keep it warm all the time? (smart if you want to avoid condensation on reloading equipment)

or do you just want to be able to crank the heat when you are in there reloading?

I am looking at an electric one that hang from the ceiling. The building is 16 X 20. I was not sure if heating up the powder in this fashion would be a problem.

will it be on all the time?

From a safety perspective its all about an exposed red-hot element.

If its 9 feet up in the air, 10 ft away, it will be fine.

The other factor , if its on all the time is how the heat could lead to the breakdown of the powder. Thats mainly a theoretical problem because powder that has been around for 50 years in people's hot attics seems to still work. But I'd still prefer to store my powder somewhere cool.

Be aware also that moisture does NOT harm powder. You just need to get rid of the moisture before you use it. (amazingly, some of the older ammo companies still have powder that they made 75 years ago. They still use it to test for consistency. That powder is typically stored wet. Literally soaked in water. They dry out what they need when they want to use some.

Don