Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to make IDPA better

j1b

I have to disagree that IPSC shooters never put down any other sports. In the early days it was common for IPSCers to put down PPC shooters.  It usually went something like this, "They shoot those big heavy impractical guns with light loads that have no recoil with impractical sights on them with those holsters that won't hold the gun in if you bend over without an extra strap none of that stuff would ever work in a real situation".   Funny how much that sounds like Open now. Bullseye would get slammed too for being too rigid and impractical. I'm not justifying what IDPA does at all I wish they had never said a word about USPSA, but it is a fact that it was started because of USPSA's failure to recognize a fairly large group of competitors.

I find it interesting that this thread on how to make IDPA better is so long. I wonder how long it would be if the question was " Whats good about IDPA"?

JJ  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JJ

You bring up some good points. I will also say that when IDPA first came out - there were plenty on the IPSC range complaining about the sport (IDPA that is). Could it be that sometimes we fear what we don't understand? No . . . . I'm certain that isn't the case on either side of this fence : )

I can't imagine Bill Wilson complaining too much about IPSC - he may not like the way the sport has gone from a practicality stand point - but I feel confident he likes the way it has impacted his pocket book.

I started the post - so I want to say something in response to your last question. I have shot only IDPA for the past year. I have not shot anything else - IPSC, Bullseye, PPC, rifle - nothing except IDPA. I'll note that I've had a ton of fun - it's new, interesting, and something I had to improve at from the git-go. There is plenty good about IDPA - I've enjoyed it immensly. My only point was noting the recent uprising of complaints. We as shooters need to do everything we can to eject all the empty mags - and keep fresh ones coming. The moment the flow stops (no matter what sport you participate in) we as a group stand to lose everything.

Thanks for posting

JB

How to make IDPA better? Hmmm...lemme give you my two cents worth. I actually got into the action shooting thing by going to an IDPA match. I thought IDPA would be a great way to shoot my "carry gun" on a recreational basis. Problem was that in my ignorance my carry gun was not allowed. I had a ported SA Ultra-Compact. So I started shooting IPSC at the same club with my Les Baer PII.

Some of the IPSC guys then told me that I could shoot my Baer in IDPA. Seemed odd that I couldn't shoot a pistol that was designed and built specifically for self defense, but I could shoot a pistol that was built specifically for competition, so I shot the Baer in both. Of course, the IDPA SSP guys kinda sneered at me when I showed up with my Baer in my Ky-Tac holster. They all thought I should be a sportsman and shoot what I carry. Some of them were kinda snobbish about it.

Later on I bought a S_I for Limited IPSC and I sold my ported Springfield. I then made some minor changes to my Baer and rendered it illegal for IDPA. I bought a new carry gun and yes I pack it around on a regular basis when I travel. Problem is, the pistol is a Glock 19C with a grip reduction, night sights, etc. Great carry gun, but illegal in IDPA. I also have a Smith Trail Boss that I carry in bear management areas, but it too is illegal in IDPA.

I would love to shoot my carry guns in IDPA, but I am banned from doing so. If IDPA ever decides to allow the "C" series Glocks, or a ported revolver, I'll shoot it. For now I'll stick with IPSC where there is a place for everyone and everything.

Erik, I agree totally.  At the IDPA nationals this year, a majority of the targets had shirts over them.  You definitely had to call your shots with your sights and not by the holes or lack thereof in the target because you couldn't see the holes in the target.  Not a big deal, but something thrown in the mix that was outside my norm.  

• 5 weeks later...

I think this thing got so long because it wandered off topic. Make IDPA better by making it more like IPSC? Fine, if you happen to like IPSC. IMHO, the "stability of rules" doctrine should be adhered to. If it was legal last year, it should be legal this year, esp. those rules pertaining to equipment.