Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tri Top after front sight installed

mpolans

I've seen some guns that were tritopped but had the bottom of the front sight flush with the top of the slide. My Edge already had a front sight installed; I'm guessing if I were to have my gun tritopped, the front and rear of the slide where the sights are dovetailed in would have to be left untouched, right? Is the only way to have the whole top of the slide flat (including where the front sight is) to tritop a bare slide and then machine in the dovetail?

When you tritop a slide, your only milling .030-.040 off..... witch will give you about .750 flat. A dove tail is around .060 deep and that is 2 much to mill on the top. You can mill up to the back of the front sight and stop at the front of the rear sight, and then cut the sides. Here's a pix of a open gun, I'm working on for my son.

post-24727-039721000 1304573375_thumb.jp

post-24727-043909200 1304573519_thumb.jp

post-24727-022726800 1304573726_thumb.jp

When you tritop a slide, your only milling .030-.040 off..... witch will give you about .750 flat. A dove tail is around .060 deep and that is 2 much to mill on the top. You can mill up to the back of the front sight and stop at the front of the rear sight, and then cut the sides. Here's a pix of a open gun, I'm working on for my son.

Yeah, I was afraid the top of the slide wouldn't be thick enough to mill a new dovetail. I just think milling only from the front of the rear sight to the back of the front sight doesn't look as cool.

You can also do what is called an "interrupted cut" where the tri-cut bevels up at the sight dovetailon the top or at the sides, if you elect to "tritop" after the sight cuts are made.

That's what I did with this STI short block kit I built up, with the assist of GANS Guns.

Talk to Gary Natale at GANS. Great work, good prices and super fast turn around!

Hope this helps . . .

. . .crap image issues . . .

Edited by TISCHLJ

Thats the one Bobby did for me in Want2Races link. Came out flawless

Just to clarify, this was a Spartan that already had the front and rear sight dovetails and he was able to tri top it and recut the front and rear sight dovetails? Or did he fit a new special front sight and just leave the rear dovetail as is?

Roughly how much did it cost to do that?

I have a Spartan and would like to do something like that.

Edited by mpolans

The dovetails in the Spartan slide are deep enough where the slide can be flat-topped and the Freedom Sight installed with no further cutting of either dovetail. I didn't ask Bobby to give me a price breakdown. Give him a call or an e-mail.

Mine was the factory eagle with front and rear sighs in it. Not sure what the breakdown was as I had the tri-top, highpower cut to remove the serrations, and the gills done as well as the cobalt finish. He can give you a breakdown based on what you want but I will say it was very reasonable.