Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI BLOW UP

Went to the range today to do a few drills, and the 26th shot barrel blew up. does any one now if there is any kind of warranty through STI. This was with PMC factory ammo not reloads. the gun maybe had 1000 rounds through the gun. It bowed and cracked the slide also.

sti.jpg

Edited by motowrecker121

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the case (or what's left) of the one that blew up...how does it look (primer etc)?

I couldnt find the rest of the case at the range. but the rear of the shell is still in the gun. all that is left is the rim and primer. the gun is still all locked up i didnt want to take it apart, before STI or a gunsmith looked at it.

I would think this is a PMC issue. Box it up and send it to STI asap. Their tech expertise is way better than most smiths.

Imho , dont think an out of battery detonation could do that to the gun. That looks Iike a hot charge. Blew the barrel hood right off. I suppose it could be a problem barrel, but the likely answer is overcharge.

Slide is prolly ok. They will swage that back to proper size if the magnaflux says it's ok. You will be getting new springs and internals also.

I kaboomed my STI a few years back. Mine looked way worse than yours. Used it as an excuse to have my edge pimped by EGW.

Keep us informed.

this gun is a .40. I would think it was a hot charge, but it felt exactly the same as the rest of the rounds. I bought 2000 rounds of this ammo, I have run 1500 of them through the gun with never a problem. Hopefully they can do something for me. the slide is cracked were it is bowed out.

Better contact whoever makes PMC also. They are going to want to rest of that box as well. STI has great customer service but I don't see where this falls under their warranty unless something on the gun was weak.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

There should be a lot # on the box of ammo. PMC will definately want to know what it is. STI probably won't want to admit fault and neither will PMC. You might never know what happened. I'm wondering if an independant testing of the barrel might not be such a bad idea. Glad you were not hurt. Good luck and let us know what you find out. Gabe.

I am not sure if Chris S still works for STI. STI fixed any problems I had with my gun for free. Their service was excellent as was the turnaround.

BTW: Glad you were not hurt.

I had a long talk with Mike at Schuemann one match about service. He stands behind his product also. That seems to be the norm for our sport and my experience.

I talked to STI today and sending the gun back to them to see what they say.

I had my smith look at before we shipped it, he thinks the barrel was hardened to much making it brittle.

It probally wouldn't be a bad idea to send the barrel out to be tested by a private party.

we will see what they say.

That has got to be a metallurgical flaw. I can't imagine even a double charge doing all that damage.

Very glad you are OK. I am very interested in seeing what the manufacturer of both the gun and the ammo have to say.