Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith Sigma or Glock 17

I spend a few hours checking out the Glock 17 and the Sigma's today in 9 mm. The 17 was just as nice as I remembered it to be. Had a great feel in my hand and a good trigger pull. They also had the Sigmas in the store. I tested them next to each other and the trigger on the Sigma was very disappointing. I figured a good trigger job wouild help but the girl behind the counter said you can't do a trigger job on the Sigma.

Obviously she's just trying to sell the Glock for $200 more.

Looking on the net it seems that Wolf makes a replacement spring for it and that should help get the poundage down. I also read where to police the action, seems to take the same polishing as the Glock did years ago.

Anyone using the Sigma? Is it a decent gun to work with or should I just buy a Glock?

I wish I were a better search artist. I actually posted on here about a guy wanting to buy a Sigma. Tons of negative opinions on the trigger. If I remember right it really can't be made much better.

I wish I were a better search artist. I actually posted on here about a guy wanting to buy a Sigma. Tons of negative opinions on the trigger. If I remember right it really can't be made much better.

The trigger pull can be made much lighter by just removing some of the springs. There are 3 in there doing the job of 1. It will still be a long trigger pull but it can be somewhat improved. I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone for competition shooting.

Glocks are a total rip - they are just out there for those guys that want a gun that works every time and you can customize to your preference and you might want to trade later since they keep their resale value. Totally, you want to go with the Sigma - it is none of those things.

Edited by Solvability

No comparison, the Sigma is pretty much a piece of junk compared to the Glock (and I'm not a Glock lover).

+10 The Sigma is what we down here call a "Hood Banger", only the boys in the hood will have one (there's a reason they are $200 cheaper than the Glock...mainly cause it's illegal to just give them away, and who would take them?)...But if you cut some coils off the springs, and totally re-work everything about it, you will have a nice looking paper weight...

If you are seriously considering the Sigma, look into Hi-Points, they are a bit cheaper and almost as good as the Sigma.... :roflol:

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/handguns_9mm.html

The Sigma's trigger is the least of it's problem. Actually in comparison the to the rest of the gun the trigger is pretty good.

IMO get the Glock, after all if you can negotiate it and get for only $200 more than the Sigma is WORTH, the final price should be about $205 :roflol:

Well, there you go.

20 years or so ago I had the first Glock 17L around here and loved it. Even made major 9 before it was fashionable. Learned to do the trigger and was very happy. Guess I should stay with the tried and true. Looks like $200 isn't worth the difference in saving.

Thanks for all the help/

Hey AZ, Another thing to consider is looking for a used 17. They show up on here all thetime as well as police trade ins.

I personally am not a big fan of buying anything used but with most guns the manufacturer will make things right if there is a problem.

another thing to maybe factor in, is can you get replacment/aftermarket parts for the sigma??? around here its tough to actually find a magfor a sigma let alone anything like springs/striker pins, the Glock onthe other hand, google glock parts and watch what comes up...

The problem is that you asked "Should I buy a Ford or a Yugo?" instead of the "Should I buy a Ford of a Chevy?" If you had asked "Should I buy a Glock or an S&W M&P" then we would be looking roughly at the same price and quality gun, so we could have a more coherent argument then "Sigma? Yuk!".