Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22cal Open Guns

Bansheex

All you folks that are running a TS conversion upper on your STI widebody frames, I have some questions.

1) Do you find that the TS mags need some type of bigger/weighted basepad, something that simulates the feel of a Dawson basepad? Possibly something made to cushion an impact when dropped?

2) Do you find the TS mags a PIA to load and wish they had a retraction button to compress the spring/follower, like a Ruger 22/45 mag?

Note, I have a TS kit for use on my Limited gun and have 6 mags. With very limited use, I have found the above questions/issues could be addressed, somehow.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

hey guys, i have a tacsol pac lite upper on a new Volquartsen frame. I noticed the drilled holes on the pac lite receiver match that of a standard ruger but when I tried to take the weaver rail off my factory upper, and put in on the pac lite upper, the screws would turn in maybe one two threads then get so tight they would stop and i didnt want to force it.

Do the tacsol pac lite receivers have a different thread pattern than the factory ruger? Are you only able to use tacsol scope rails for this reason? Let me know, i dont want to force it and strip threads but I really want to use a non-tacsol scope rail if possible.Thanks.

They use different screws. Factory steel uses 6/48 screws and the tacsol uses 6/40 screws. You can buy the screws for the scope mount. I run an alchin on mine with the cmore and ordered the 6/40 fillister screws Many a tacsol has been messed up by trying to force the factory screws in. With the right screws and proper degreasing the scope mount is solid

They use different screws. Factory steel uses 6/48 screws and the tacsol uses 6/40 screws. You can buy the screws for the scope mount. I run an alchin on mine with the cmore and ordered the 6/40 fillister screws Many a tacsol has been messed up by trying to force the factory screws in. With the right screws and proper degreasing the scope mount is solid

Whew, thanks for that info. Where were you able to buy the tacsol 6/40 screws?

I have three: 1) S&W 41 with Clark Custom Barrel and C-More RTS. 2) Nelson Custom (formerly Marvel) 1911 conversion with threaded barrel and comp and C-More RTS2. 3) S&W 617 revolver 4" with Leupold Deltapoint on an Allchin mount.

post-22361-0-14309600-1393807384_thumb.j

post-22361-0-83501900-1393807412_thumb.j

Edited by fred5876r

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a TacSol 2211 upper for a new build. I did it before I saw the Nelson Custom conversion. Anybody know if the Nelson 2011 mags will work with the TacSol Upper? The price point on them sure is a lot better!!!

I bought screws from the guy mentioned by Ekujustice above. Great deal and the screws work great in the pac lite upper. He sells Torx head stuff as well. As soon as I get everything mounted up, I will post some eye candy.

bluesman2a: do you know anything about the Nelson conversion? How do they stack up to the Tacsol and Marvel target units? Im looking to buy a 22 1911 setup if anyone has one they are selling. Prefer the brands just mentioned on a decent 1911 or 2011 frame. Thanks.

bluesman2a: do you know anything about the Nelson conversion? How do they stack up to the Tacsol and Marvel target units? Im looking to buy a 22 1911 setup if anyone has one they are selling. Prefer the brands just mentioned on a decent 1911 or 2011 frame. Thanks.

Sorry, but I do not, The first time I saw one was on fred5876r's post above. I wasn't aware anybody other than TacSol made 2011-22 uppers/mags. I got the railed/threaded version. It fits well on several 1911 frames I have (kimber/RIA/etc). I bought it from Shooter's Connection and they shipped fast. Price wise it was a LOT more than the Nelson base unit, but at nearly $100 each, the mags are really making me not like it quite as much. As somebody mentioned in another thread, I tried GSG mags in a single-stack frame and they do not feed for this conversion.

So a quick comparison:

TacSol Threaded upper: $550

Nelson threaded upper: $450 + 129 for sight/rail combo = $579, for true apples/apples comparison.

Tacsol double-stack mag: $93

Nelson double-stack mag: $40

Tac Sol single-stack mag: $97

Nelson single stack mag $25

So you pay more for the Nelson up front, but you can recoup that on the back end in mags assuming you want more than one.

Anybody have any more input on the Nelson offering and mag compatability?

Sorry, but I do not, The first time I saw one was on fred5876r's post above. I wasn't aware anybody other than TacSol made 2011-22 uppers/mags. I got the railed/threaded version. It fits well on several 1911 frames I have (kimber/RIA/etc). I bought it from Shooter's Connection and they shipped fast. Price wise it was a LOT more than the Nelson base unit, but at nearly $100 each, the mags are really making me not like it quite as much. As somebody mentioned in another thread, I tried GSG mags in a single-stack frame and they do not feed for this conversion.

So a quick comparison:

TacSol Threaded upper: $550

Nelson threaded upper: $450 + 129 for sight/rail combo = $579, for true apples/apples comparison.

Tacsol double-stack mag: $93

Nelson double-stack mag: $40

Tac Sol single-stack mag: $97

Nelson single stack mag $25

So you pay more for the Nelson up front, but you can recoup that on the back end in mags assuming you want more than one.

Anybody have any more input on the Nelson offering and mag compatability?

Thanks for the input, I suppose to throw another on in the mix:

Marvel Unit 1 Target with combo rail and threaded: $630

Wide stack magazine: $63

Single stack mag: $38

Thats why I was curious about the Nelson because Ive often heard the Marvel referred to as the gold standard for accuracy on these conversions. Another, even more interesting comparison, would be the Advantage Arms Target conversion. It looks like an identical design as the Marvel and tacsol units but much less expensive. Curious how it stacks up on accuracy/reliability.

I'm not entirely sure it's "another one" if you look at the web page here:

http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/22lr-conversion/

You can see they clearly tout "Designed by Bob Marvel" which would lead me to believe that they are using the same basic blueprints, but we all know that implementation can vary widely from vendor to vendor.

Would be interesting to see what all will interchange between these. Ideally I could wind up running the Nelson mags in my Tac Sol upper.

All you folks that are running a TS conversion upper on your STI widebody frames, I have some questions.

1) Do you find that the TS mags need some type of bigger/weighted basepad, something that simulates the feel of a Dawson basepad? Possibly something made to cushion an impact when dropped?

2) Do you find the TS mags a PIA to load and wish they had a retraction button to compress the spring/follower, like a Ruger 22/45 mag?

Note, I have a TS kit for use on my Limited gun and have 6 mags. With very limited use, I have found the above questions/issues could be addressed, somehow.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery!

I use a TS conversion on my wide body STI but I sold my TS mags. They seamed to get grit in them very easy and at only 10 rounds just weren't practical for my open practice.

Mags pictured above are STI polymer which I do not think they make any more. The "basepad" is cut from a rubber squeegee. I can load 20 rounds in these mags and they work very well. I use a modified glock speed loader to load them.

CAM00734-vi.jpg

Mags pictured above are STI polymer which I do not think they make any more. The "basepad" is cut from a rubber squeegee. I can load 20 rounds in these mags and they work very well. I use a modified glock speed loader to load them.

CAM00734-vi.jpg

Heckler (or anybody, really), do you know where one could find these magazines, or something of similar design now? I really like the idea of a high-cap 22 mag like this.

Heckler (or anybody, really), do you know where one could find these magazines, or something of similar design now? I really like the idea of a high-cap 22 mag like this.

I wish I knew, I would buy about 10 more.

I'm not entirely sure it's "another one" if you look at the web page here:

http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/22lr-conversion/

You can see they clearly tout "Designed by Bob Marvel" which would lead me to believe that they are using the same basic blueprints, but we all know that implementation can vary widely from vendor to vendor.

Would be interesting to see what all will interchange between these. Ideally I could wind up running the Nelson mags in my Tac Sol upper.

NightHawk also has their version of the "Designed by Bob Marvel" .22 conversion available... these are the latest (Gen2)version of the original Marvel Prec.. conversion. There are subtle packaging diffs/options tween them.