Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking out loud: Brass sorting trays + vibrating tumbler: ghetto aut

CiDirkona

I was running a few concepts together in my head just now, and got the idea to build a lid for my brass tumbler that held my brass sorting trays in them, at about 6 inches or so apart. Turn on the tumbler and put a handful of brass at a time in the top, and the rest of the work is done via wiggle. Has anyone tried it? would it work?

I messed around with it for a little while.

It was not what I would call a success. As I've gotten more proficient with them by hand, I've found the key to maximal performance is small quantities and a vigorous shake with a flip to it. Even then you still have to pull some cases out of other cases by hand. The vibration form the tumbler was not enough to get anything to reorient, just rattle in place a little bit, so it was barely better than just throwing handfuls of brass in the things.

I suspect that by the time you got osmething effective built with them, you'd have spent less money building one of the more proven motorized designs.

My 2 cents,

I tend to try to get the most life out of my brass. I shoot at times 4 different calibers during a day at the range. It can become tedious but I use my sorting time to inspect condition.

You just need more brass. I clean about 1000 brass at a time, dump into a seperator and store in those empty plastic coffee cans.9,38,357,45 ,44spl,44mag. Have people that buy their coffee in the tubbs save then for you.