Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decent priced pistol for 3gun/fun shooting

Cody_2130

I am going to be in the market for a new to me pistol, planning on doing some 3 gun stuff as well as general plinking. I am leaning towards a Glock 24c but would like to hear some other ideas. Price cap is going to be ~$650-700, I would not have any issues going with a used gun. Thanks for the help guys!

Looking at CZ right now, all the 75 series seem way out of my price range. Will have to go look at S&W here in a few.

Edit: Just found the 75s that fit my price range.

Edited by Cody_2130

I'd go with a Glock 34.

Longer sight radius than a 17, more capacity than a .40 and easier to find than a 24.

This is, of course, assuming that power factor is not an issue.

If you "need" to make major, then get a Glock 35.

Try a S&W M&P and a Glock and see which one feels better in YOUR hand. Check natural POA when you do this.

.40 Caliber does not really get you anything in the majority of 3gun matches because PF is not an issue. If you happen to shoot at a local club that uses USPSA rules, or shoot MG Nationals, then PF is an issue. Also, you probably don't want a "C" model as that puts you in open.

If you get the C model, you can always get a non ported barrel to keep yourself out of open...

I use a 24 in limited, limited 10 and in 3 gun... It is a great gun! Add a magwell and extended base pads and you will be good to go.

I do the 92's and there are tons of them out there. The 24's are very cool and I would love to have one, so I may have to do some looking for a non-ported barrel. The Glock 17L is also on my short list. I have had an XD and thought it was ok, so I think I am going to skip those for now. Thanks again everyone for the help!

Edited by Cody_2130

I do the 92's and there are tons of them out there. The 24's are very cool and I would love to have one, so I may have to do some looking for a non-ported barrel. The Glock 17L is also on my short list. I have had an XD and thought it was ok, so I think I am going to skip those for now. Thanks again everyone for the help!

The Glock 24 was replaced by the Glock 35 because the 24 didn't fit inside the box for competition. That's why you have a hard time finding 24's because they are no longer produced. Likewise the Glock 17L is very low production and also hard to find. I saw a new one recently in a local WA gun store but it's gone now.

I own a Glock 35 for competition and very impressed. The stock trigger from the factory is greatly improved over the standard Glock. Of course there is still room to improve with some aftermarket goodies which I've already done.

After how many people have told me to go buy a Glock 34 I may just have to do it. Thinking I will go down to the indoor range here in the next few weeks and see if they have one as a rental, would really like to try one out before I slap down my money.

Cody, a CZ Phantom is within your price range. It is the plastic decocker version. I have one and love it! Only problem I have is that MecGar mags (which are about 1/2 the price of factory) don't drop free. They are 100% though.

Richard

I shoot a G34 for USPSA and 3 gun....you will probably need to shoot 147's for accuracy... I like a SERPA retention holster for 3 gun, and at this time they don't make a long holster and the muzzle/sight is exposed....put on a good pair of sights and you are ready...highly recommend a JP mag release button if you have small hands

I shoot a G34 for USPSA and 3 gun....you will probably need to shoot 147's for accuracy... I like a SERPA retention holster for 3 gun, and at this time they don't make a long holster and the muzzle/sight is exposed....put on a good pair of sights and you are ready...highly recommend a JP mag release button if you have small hands

What sight is a good one? And I dont so much have hands as paws so I doubt I need the JP mag release but I will more than likely grab one anyway just because I can.

What sight is a good one? And I dont so much have hands as paws so I doubt I need the JP mag release but I will more than likely grab one anyway just because I can.

Dawson's or Warren's Sevigny series, maybe a Heinie rear.

Basically, almost anything instead of the factory sights.

Personally, I like the fixed rear Dawson with one of their fronts.

Sevigny sights. Walmart 9mm ammo should be fine. If you have paws, you will need to take the big slide release off and put a standard slide release on the G34. G34 comes with extended mag release. You need a couple of mag extensions for 3 gun. Get 23 in the mag for 9mm. For limited rules, gun needs to be .40-only the Multigun Nationals uses this, so if you are not going to shoot that, 9mm is the way to go.

Cody... I like fixed sights so have Heinies on the rear... Dave Dawson is a friend and would recommend one of his adjustable sights if you plan on playing with different loads.... I had to put a very tall (.280in IIRC) Dawson front sight on and cut it to shoot point of aim (did not have to do this with my G35 as the Heinie set worked fine), narrowed to about .090in as I have very old eyes...I like a metal guide rod, and ISMI aftermarket spring (heavy at 17#)... shoot for accuracy at 35-50yd... you may find that you need to shoot 147 grain bullets with a longer driving band at those distances...

Les

L747

a comment about the JP extended mag release... I don't usually recommend a product that appears overly expensive for what you get, but in the case of this gizmo, I can't recommend it highly enough

Edited by Les Snyder

After how many people have told me to go buy a Glock 34 I may just have to do it. Thinking I will go down to the indoor range here in the next few weeks and see if they have one as a rental, would really like to try one out before I slap down my money.

FYI, if you don't find one on that side of the mountains and in the seattle area there are several indoor ranges with G34's for rent.

I don't believe it was mentioned above, but I like the Glock/M&P/XD etc for 3 gun due to the ease of abandonment. No manual safety to engage or accidentally get bumped off.

I'm partial to Glocks. If you reload, I'd reccomend the G35. You can load minor for 3-gun, USPSA Production and IDPA SSP & ESP and Major for USPSA Limited. That way, you have one gun you can shoot multiple sports with. If not, I'd recommend the G34.

• 11 months later...

I rock a G34 in the outlaw three gun matches (I have yet to do a USPSA three gun match), the 9mm is cheaper to shoot. If you get a reloading press making 9mm ammo with range brass is pretty darn cheap with coated lead bullets. If you are hell bent on getting a 40sw, check out the glock 35. I admit the triggers aren't as nice as the cz but the difference in price you can use for bullets to make up for it in training and accuracy.

For What It's Worth !!

The Glock 17L & 24 are 6" guns.

May wanna read the rules you are gonna shoot under.

IDPA clubs drag out the box, you will be borrowing a pistol.

Some club owners make up their own rules that don't coinside with USPSA or IDPA Multi Gun.

Careful and choose wisely. Do your own research.

Perry