Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going bionic again...

SiG Lady

Well, it was coming. Had a cool hip replacement a few years back and never regretted it. The OTHER hip, however, has been nagging at me for some time and--yes--interfering with my shooting... and now with just plain ol' walking. Today we secured a surgery date (May 26) and will go thru the fix-the-hip drill once again and move forward from there. It's more of an inconvenience than anything, but the results are worth it. And, boy, do I have a great doctor. B)

That's cool. I remember my matronly great-aunt from when I was a youngster and the trouble she had with her hips (both). Just watching her walk was painful.

Medical technology isn't perfect, but it's a big improvement over what was available way back when.

It absolutely incredible when I hear someone casually speaking of having a hip replacement - like they were just getting a crown on a tooth or something. We complain a lot about the skyrocketing costs of medical care, but look at what they can do these days. I'll say it again, incredible!

It comes down to be-able-to-walk, or not-be-able-to-walk. I prefer the former. Not only that, your broken down joints can actually become infected and... well... kill you (like any other infectino) if left untreated. One has to wonder how many people in the ancient past (before bionic joints and sterile surgery) died from infected joints that had rotted away... icckk. :unsure:

I e-mailed a friend a few days back indicating I was likely going to have this second replacement done and that it wasn't really much more than a gross inconvenience, etc. He said he was getting a kick (for the umpteenth time) about how I manage to put a positive spin on even the weirdest of situations. Well, I kinda HAVE to. No one's going to do if FOR me. :rolleyes:

Besides, I spent 15-20 years in some form of advertising industry activity or other, and in commercial writing and production you have to put "positive spin" on the damndest things...! I guess I just got used to doing that to my life as well. :D

The bottom line: FYI, the last hip procedure (2003) totalled out at about $26,000. I imagine it's a bit more NOW.

• 1 month later...

I'M BACK!!!! :devil:

Everything's fine. I'm hobbling around a little but given one more decent night's sleep and I should be as well off as can be expected. I just need a week to re-adjust, then enter the second-week-boredom where I get creative and start going places and doing a few things again. Can hardly wait to get back to a little shooting. The bad hip was, indeed, interfering with shooting and I just took delivery (just ebfore surgery) on my new Sig P-239 which needs a test-ride.

She's home! Party in the Tree-Fort for the Mods!! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I had my ritual six-week X-ray and quickie exam this past Friday and everything's hunky-dory fine. I also hung up the crutches yesterday and am only using a cane now--which will likely be back hanging in the closet in a matter of a week or so. B) Ah, modern medicine.

Sure feels good not to hurt now every time I walk. In fact, I've almost forgotten what the pain felt like. :) It's an interesting feeling to wake up in the morning and try to remember which hip you just had surgery on...... :D

I had my ritual six-week X-ray and quickie exam this past Friday and everything's hunky-dory fine. I also hung up the crutches yesterday and am only using a cane now--which will likely be back hanging in the closet in a matter of a week or so. B) Ah, modern medicine.

Sure feels good not to hurt now every time I walk. In fact, I've almost forgotten what the pain felt like. :) It's an interesting feeling to wake up in the morning and try to remember which hip you just had surgery on...... :D

Awesome! :cheers:

Sig Lady, glad to hear things are working out. Dad had both done at the same time! 7 1/2 hours worth! Looked bad when he came out of surgery but like you, he said to be pain free was worth it. Only trouble he ever had after that was on vacation walking in and out of a lake after swimming...he would loose his balance and no one could explain why.

Good shooting.

Richard

Edited by chirpy

Sometimes people have them both done at the same time, but maybe only if the conditions are bad enough to call for it. Depends on the doctor, I imagine. Last I heard here, they try to put about ten days between them to make sure the first one "takes" well. But times have changed since my first procedure (2002), so maybe practice has changed. Again, it may depend on the doctor. Still, that would be kinda traumatic to have them BOTH done the same day. Acck. Usually the procedure on ONE would take only a couple of hours, assuming there were no extenuating circumstances or special conditions. If the patient is in good health to begin with, recovery is often quick and complication-free.

I wish him well. I'm sure he felt much better once the work was done! I can certainly vouch for that. B)