Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swaro Z6i BRT Ballistic program?

FishingFool

It seems they put a new ballistic software up on their website and it doesn't have a function for the 1-6 z6i. Does anyone have a copy of it they can email to me? I wanna play around with the software and see what my various zero's are before I make a decision on the scope.

My understanding is the BRT reticle is simply in mils. Why not just run your numbers through JBM or any other ballistics program and get your numbers?

Math is my weakness can you explain what you mean.

Pat

You go to http://www.jbmballistics.com and enter the data for your load. In the options click 1 mil for the drops and then look on the chart and see how many mils at each distance. I have mine zeroed at 175 yards so at 100 yards I'm .2 mil high, at 250 .6 low and at 300 1.0 mil low.

Doug

My understanding is the BRT reticle is simply in mils. Why not just run your numbers through JBM or any other ballistics program and get your numbers?

Math is my weakness can you explain what you mean.

Pat

You go to http://www.jbmballistics.com and enter the data for your load. In the options click 1 mil for the drops and then look on the chart and see how many mils at each distance. I have mine zeroed at 175 yards so at 100 yards I'm .2 mil high, at 250 .6 low and at 300 1.0 mil low.

Doug

Thanks Doug.

Pat

Thanks smokshwn I have a chart printed from before the page went down but I changed my load and my new load is about 80fps slower. Just trying to get the difference figured out. With a 200 yard zero at 500 yards I have to hold the 5th mark under the target.

Pat

To all who requested the Swaro calculator I saved to my desktop (caz41, alaskapopo, c-rums, grywlfbg, etc.), when I attempted to send the whole file (10MB), even compressed to 5MB my email program after raising the file limits would not handle it. I did try. The stadia lines on the BRT reticle are 1 mil apart.

To all who requested the Swaro calculator I saved to my desktop (caz41, alaskapopo, c-rums, grywlfbg, etc.), when I attempted to send the whole file (10MB), even compressed to 5MB my email program after raising the file limits would not handle it. I did try. The stadia lines on the BRT reticle are 1 mil apart.

I would be willing to send you some cash for you to burn it to a CD and snail mail it to me.

Pat

http://ballisticprograms.swarovskioptik.com/prev/BRT_us.html'>http://ballisticprograms.swarovskioptik.com/prev/BRT_us.html

Its up. Swarovski answered my email.

Dear Patrick,

the BRT will be included very soon.

Until then you can run the old version on: http://ballisticprograms.swarovskioptik.com/prev/

Stay tuned for the update containing the BRT.

Jesse,

You can either have a BDC reticle built for a specific bullet at a specific speed (think Burris XTR, Vortex Razor EBR, etc) or you can have a basic MOA or MIL scale hashes that denote a constant subtension regardless of the load.

The Swaro is in mils so you get what you get in relation to holds. If you spend some time with JBM or any other ballistics program you could play with your velocity and/or bullet and get "better" numbers but it is never going to correspond to 300,400,500 etc.

IMO the Swaro is exceptional glass and good illumination but at its pricepoint it falls short for me. It should be a FFP and I would prefer a BDC type reticle.

The Swaro is in mils so you get what you get in relation to holds. If you spend some time with JBM or any other ballistics program you could play with your velocity and/or bullet and get "better" numbers but it is never going to correspond to 300,400,500 etc.

Thats what I'm looking for is a load with better numbers to match the mils.

Your asking a reticle to do an awful lot. Granted it would be nice to have a reticle that will take all the thought out of aiming, but until you can control the wind and other atmospheric conditions your stuck having to adjust for them. The beauty of the standard mil or moa reticle is that the hash marks are equal, your not stuck with one bullet choice or velocity.

Look at a typical long range rifle stage that you might see at any major match. You will have maybe 8 to 10 targets from contact to 400 yds. If your zeroed at 200 yd. then there is very little elevation change needed to hit a 8" plate out to 250 yd., hold center mass and it hits. At 300 yd. with my load (69 SMK @ 2750) it is .8 mil hold over, so just hold first mil. dot under cross hair in bottom 1/3 of plate and you have a hit, at 350 it is 1.3 mil hold over, just move first dot up to top of plate and another hit (at 300 yd. a 10" plate just fills the space between the mil marks). Move to 400 yd. and hold over is 1.8 mils, put 2nd. mil mark in bottom 1/3 of the plate and you get another hit. OK so we have shot all the targets out to 4ooyd. and we haven't even used 1/2 of the reticle yet. With minimal practice these holds become automatic. Plus you can pull the scope off the .223 and put it on a .308 and the reticle is still good to go.

Edited by Bronco

Thats what I'm looking for is a load with better numbers to match the mils.

JBM is your friend

Jesse,

You are not picking up what is getting laid down. This is not a BDC reticle....there is no tuning a load to match it. It is what it is 1mil subtensions. With any given load the mil hashes will only correspond to that ballistic point. You can play with velocity or your zero distance a little to make the holds match up but it will take some effort on your part.

For example a 75 gr hornady at 2725 zeroed at 150yds will give you bars at 300, 400, 500, 575, 650

Edited by smokshwn

I understand everything in this thread.

For example a 75 gr hornady at 2725 zeroed at 150yds will give you bars at 300, 400, 500, 575, 650

This is what I wanted!!!! Now if it only came in a 55 gr hornady bullet it would work for me:)

The slow, fast drop 69 grain black hills ammo is accurate A's all get out but it drops like a rock. I want something faster, flatter and with a velocity that produced good round numbers to sync A's good A's possible with the mil reticle that is in this scope. I don't want to look at a card too see that the 3rd hash is 381 or whatever. I want something easy to remember:)

Edited by jtischauser

I understand everything in this thread.

This is what I wanted!!!! Now if it only came in a 55 gr hornady bullet it would work for me:)

The slow, fast drop 69 grain black hills ammo is accurate A's all get out but it drops like a rock. I want something faster, flatter and with a velocity that produced good round numbers to sync A's good A's possible with the mil reticle that is in this scope. I don't want to look at a card too see that the 3rd hash is 381 or whatever. I want something easy to remember:)

Oh....then I guess I didn't understand...you wanted someone to do the work for you!

You can take your 55 (or 69 or 62 or 71.5 or 40 ...you get the idea) grain load and play with JBM until you find a zero and corresponding holdovers you can live with.