Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1992 USPSA Nationals

outerlimits

this video was from the 1993 Nationals.......Lenny Magil's video.

.....and to clarify something that was in the video, the reshoot that Robbie got: this occured back in the day when the Super Squad REALLY got some serious breaks, head-scratching breaks in fact. This was the year of the big floods in Missouri and it rained sporadically each day. But when it did rain (typically in the AM), it rained!

Well, the Super Squad dodged the 'rain' bullet every day except for one......and they didn't like shooting in the rain. The day AFTER they shot that stage in the video, it was then determined that the rain was excessive and not fair to those that shot in it (i.e. the Super Squad).....again, this decision was made the day AFTER they shot. And to make it more interesting - the Super Squad could decide on an individual basis if they wanted a reshoot or not.

My favorite thing about that Nationals was this stage where they ran up the wooden walk way (the one with the moving pair of targets where you see Voight shooting). Earlier in the match one squad asked to clean the mud off the wood so it wouldn't be as slippery. The RO's refused and said that the stage would be shot in its current condition. After this request and just before the Super Squad got to the stage - the RO's were actually sweeping the wood of excess mud/dirt/etc. Someone from the squad that was refused the cleaning filed an arbritration. Of course the arbritration was denied. I don't remember what exactly was said in the write-up......except for a phrase that basically said that a stage cannot be made fair for all competitors in all cases.

Like I said, it was back in the day when the Super Squad got head-scratching breaks that no one else got.

I agree, I thought it was '93 as well.

I think Robbie was shooting the 9x25 that he used later that year at the World Shoot in Bisley, UK. He had the same kind of jam on a medium stage that probably cost him the match. There was a match video of the world shoot that I saw that had the malfunction on it... it was painful to watch.

I think Robbie was shooting the 9x25 that he used later that year at the World Shoot in Bisley, UK. He had the same kind of jam on a medium stage that probably cost him the match. There was a match video of the world shoot that I saw that had the malfunction on it... it was painful to watch.

If I remember right the 9X25 jams usually ended with the mag being dumped to get up and going again.

Very evil malfunctions with that cartridge.

If I remember right the 9X25 jams usually ended with the mag being dumped to get up and going again.

That option was not available at the time.

Unloaded gun and all magazines started on a dummy, you had to run through some tires hanging from the ceiling, retrieve the gun and any magazines and run down-range to shoot the targets. I think Leatham only picked up one magazine to save time as it was a medium stage (about 12-14 rounds if I recall). It jammed on the second array which I think was 3 poppers and two paper targets down low behind a wall.

Edited by BritinUSA

That option was not available at the time.

Unloaded gun and all magazines started on a dummy, you had to run through some tires hanging from the ceiling, retrieve the gun and any magazines and run down-range to shoot the targets. I think Leatham only picked up one magazine to save time as it was a medium stage (about 12-14 rounds if I recall). It jammed on the second array which I think was 3 poppers and two paper targets down low behind a wall.

Not sure I follow?

I was just saying in general the 9X25 jams were rarely fixed by just racking the slide. Almost always had to eject the mag>>>clear jam>>>reload>>>shoot some>>>wait for next jam.

Edited by Powder Finger

I remember those stages. the one with the re-shoot, the wooden platform got muddy and rain-slick. many of us shot with cleats on back then, and hitting the platform in its muddy/wet state, you risked skating right off the edge.

The one with the camo cover was evil for us tall shooters. i had to shoot teh targets, aiming in-between the stars I was seeing, from whacking my head on the cross bar.

• 2 months later...

check out benny's shorts!

Shorts? Check out Jerry's pants! Those things are TIGHT..even for 1992! Bet he could strike a match on them bad boys :surprise:

What is up with Todd's glasses? WHOA!

I think those glasses were called (Frogs) by Oakley

Edited by TonyH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Outer,

I love your youtube channel with these older videos. Not sure where you picked them up from, but it is a ton of fun to watch those older videos.

Thank you very much for sharing those.